Wednesday, 1 May 2013

praying for a bikini bod.

It's that time of year again ladies, the frantic panic to brush the dust off your trainers and gym shorts and head to the gym as we have the sudden realisation that summer is just around the corner! It's time to get in shape for the holidays and beach trips that lie ahead.. Let's face it, who would wanna look like a whale on the beach?


Image courtesy of Google Images


When I was younger, I used to swim competitively and dance twice a week so I was always fit and healthy and didn't have to think about what I ate - those were the days! However, when I stopped swimming I realised that I am one of these people who has to watch what they eat. I only had to sniff a big greasy pizza to see the pounds piling on.. Now, I'm not saying that I ever was overweight as I am quite lucky in the fact I have always been a size 10, but it was just a huge shock to the system going from training every day and eating what I wanted to having to choose the jacket potato instead of the chicken nuggets and chips.

I joined the gym about two years ago, as I wanted to tone up and I missed doing regular exercise. Since then, I've never looked back. Being slim and healthy is something that is important to me.. It not only makes you look good, but makes you feel really good too. The feeling after an intense work out is a great one! And now that summer is around the corner I want to tone up ready for my holiday to Ibiza and thought that I would share some of my work out tips with you lovely readers :)

Please note: I am in no way a flat out athlete who eats healthily and exercises all the time. In fact, I quite like the odd slice (or two, or even three) of pizza and can't resist a chocolate digestive. These are just a few of my tips that I found helpful when toning up last year ready for my holiday abroad and am using the same ones now!

Tip #1: It's all about the cardio.

I find that no work out is complete without at least a good 40 minutes of cardio. I normally go on the treadmill, cross trainer, and the wave machine for about 15 minutes each way. Cardio is the best way to burn fat and it also builds your stamina and speed. I normally walk uphill on the treadmill, quite fast and with a high gradient and use this machine as a warm up. The cross trainer - although I hate it - is one of the best cardio machines to use as it works out everything on your body. I find that I have to have a high energy song to get me through it haha, so it's lucky I am a big fan of house music! The wave machine then is brilliant for toning your legs and bum. It's also a bit like a cool down for me and if you lean forward you can feel the strain on your upper things and know that it's really working. I aim to do this about 4 - 5 times a week.

Tip #2: Weights for toning.

I used to be so scared to enter the weights section of my local gym. It's the male domain with huge, scary men grunting and puffing as they try to achieve one last rep with the dumbbell. However, I soon saw that women were using the weights to tone up their arms and legs and I decided to give it a go. I use a variety of different weights such as the Leg Press, Chest Press and Ab Toner, as well as some dumbbells to tone up my sides. I do most of these weights every time I go to the gym, but if I feel I pushed some of the muscles too far, I give them a break. You don't want to cause an injury!

Tip #3: Bulking not sulking.

I love that saying! I can't stress enough how important it is to eat before and after a gym session. Well in fact, eat in general. I'm such a foodie, even at the gym I'm thinking about my next meal! But what I find has helped me to keep slim is the food pyramid. I always eat a big breakfast and lunch. Never skip breakfast! I don't understand how people can go to work or uni or school without having something to eat. I'd die of starvation by 10 o' clock! Breakfast kickstarts your metabolism so you burn calories quicker! Then I have a small evening meal.. Like egg and toast or something like that. The more you eat at night the more likely you are to put on weight. I would also say ditch things that you know are full of calories, like fizzy pop and biscuits. Just don't buy them and they won't be there to tempt you!

Tip #4: Don't make excuses!

This is the most obvious one. It annoys me when people who complain about their body say "I don't have time to go to the gym", yet have hours in the evening to watch the telly? There's no time like the present, so just get up and go!


Image courtesy of Google Images
Follow these simple steps and you should be on your way to a bikini bod! It worked for me anyway! :) And if you fancy a cheeky slice of cake or a chocolate bar - go for it! Why the hell not? It's all about eating in moderation and making time to work out!
What are your work out tips? Do you have any that I could try? :)
Lots of love, Jessie. xoxo

34 comments:

  1. This is a FAB post. I have been trying to focus more on working out and eating better for the last while, so this post is definitely keeping me motivated and teaching me a couple of things. Thanks!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :) im glad it's helped in some way! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog! :)
    Would love to follow each other via GFC & Bloglovin!
    Kelouise xo

    http://thebellelavieproject.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) am now following you xx

      Delete
  3. Hey, thank you so much for commenting on my blog :) I've followed you back! This post is really good - I'm trying to lose a few pounds before the summer as well so I'll try and take on some of your tips! xoxo

    http://theperksofbeingahipster.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow :) ahh good, I'm glad it's helped! xxx

      Delete
  4. I love a good work out! I don't think I have ever been slim, but I have ran a few half marathons and love to get sweaty. I agree about making sure to make sure to get breakfast in every day.

    http://bouncingbabs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) aw wow, i hate running haha :( good on you!! xxx

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking exactly this! I started my healthy regime yesterday with it being the start of May! :)
    Thank you for your comment on my blog, so kind! :)

    I have followed your blog - can't wait to read more posts by you :)

    Emily
    emilyemilybeth.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm exactly the same with food, I can't get enough of it! And I actually really enjoy the gym haha :)

    Alice ♥ alicekatex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha same, i enjoy the gym but can't stop eating haha :( xxx

      Delete
  7. This is a great post! I was to tempted to run to the kitchen and grab some ice-cream, now I'm gonna head to the gym! Haha, thank you for following and commenting on my blog! I'm following you back :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, brill post. cnt believe you have not been doing it long. I use to swim aswell, it was alot of training. I remember competing at the 50m pool in Cardiff (that's how old I am) great tips, I will stop binging at night and make up excuses (honest) new follower :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww i used to swim in Cardiff and in the Swansea 50m pool! :D Who did you swim for? It's a small world haha! xxx

      Delete
  9. Wow.. this is an amazing post. I love all of your tips.. I used to love swimming, but there's no swimming pools around me anymore :( It's such an easy, and fun way of exercising! xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :) I know I really miss it! I'm tempted to go back swimming now and again.. That's so annoying that you're not able to go even if you wanted to :( xx

      Delete
  10. I've been skipping the gym but would love to try it again...
    followed u
    please follow me back

    THanks for visiting!
    Keep in touch!
    Beso Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will defo follow bac xx

      Delete
  11. haha these tips are really great for helping someone finally be able to achieve a beach ready body XD
    I admit I've started to slack off on my exercise and diet but I'll make sure to try harder!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog by the way~! XD
    I'll be sure to follow you!

    geekypinkness.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tips are helpful, I need to start working out again! I love these kind of posts they always make me feel so motivated! Thanks for commenting on my blog by the way!
    Kate x
    http://katekouture.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post! i am currently on a bikini bod diet well i just excercise more as i am going away for a holiday soon but i think the best tip is to eat sensibly and stay active!


    http://thisgirlloveschic.blogspot.co.uk


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do too :) I need to start watching what I eat more as well! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  14. great post! number 1 is dont make excuses ;)

    http://lifeslikearoadwetravelon.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) yes I definitely agree! xx

      Delete
  15. wow beautiful !!!!!:):)
    www.borsadimarypoppins.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog you have...wanna follow each other?
    please follow with GFC, just leave me a comment and I'll follow u back!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog


    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm definitely guilty of number 4, I keep telling myself 'I'll start on monday'..
    Useful tips though, it's made me want to stick to a routine.
    I'll start tomorrow ha!
    Thanks for visiting my blog btw & the lovely comment. Following you :) xx
    Rachael - beautypea.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS