Saturday, 24 August 2013

my favourite holiday reads.

A different little post for all you lovely readers today! I thought I would share with you what I read on holiday as that was pretty much all I did by the pool. I was sat there, on the sun lounger, with my Kindle and completely engrossed. I hardly ever get time to read as I'm always busy, especially with university and work. But I absolutely love reading and with holidays being the ideal time for me to get caught up in a romance novel, I did just that. I read five books in the seven days we were there and I thought I would review each one.

Jodi Picoult - The Perfect Match

This is a heart wrenching story about child abuse and the strength of motherly love. Jodi Picoult entwines both sides of the law through the main character, Nina, a lawyer dealing with child molestation cases whose five-year-old son gets raped. The story follows the lives of all affected by the ordeal, including five-year-old Nathaniel's point of view, as they try to find out who did it. As a lawyer Nina knows that Nathaniel will not get the justice he deserves so the story comes with an extraordinary twist, which shows exactly how strong a mother's love is. I really enjoyed this book, it was really interesting and at times frustrating as you just wanted to find out what happened next! A definite must read.
Star Rating - 4 stars


Sara Gruen - Water For Elephants


This is such a cute and wonderful tale about an old man in a care home who reviews his life when a circus comes to town. We find out that he actually ran away and joined the circus, where he fell in love with performer Marlena. The story is told in present time but flicks between past and present showing the highs and lows of life as a circus worker in one of America's biggest circuses. The ending is fantastic - a very happy one - and it really is such a brilliant story and I would recommend it to anyone!
Star Rating - 5 stars


Ben Sherwood - The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud


Following a tragic accident where he loses his brother, Charlie St. Cloud finds he can speak and see the dead, and uses his gift to keep in contact with his younger brother Sam. Charlie and Sam make a pact to always stay together and every night they meet in secret to play catch like they used to when Sam was alive. For 13 years Charlie's life revolves around sunset which means he can go and meet his brother's ghost but that all changes when he falls in love with Tess - well, Tess's spirit anyway. I liked this book, but I found it a bit hard to believe. The fact that Tess and Charlie fell in love in one day and his whole life changed completely in that split second seemed a bit unrealistic to me. However, it still was a very interesting read.
Star Rating - 3 stars


Mhairi McFarlane - You Had Me At Hello

Rachel is a 30 year old woman who decided to end her thirteen year relationship with fiance Rhys in a split decision where she realises she wants more in life. From here she tries to start a new life and forget her past until she bumps into Ben, her old friend from university who we discover she was secretly in love with. But will love blossom again for Rachel and Ben with a ten year gap in their friendship? The story is written in a really quirky style with Rachel's character being totally relatable! It's modern, different and fun.. A great read!
Star Rating - 4 stars


Veronica Henry - The Beach Hut


For decades a small beach village called Everdene has seen tourists come and go staying in the cute beach huts lined along the shore. This novel tells the stories of owners of the beach huts both post and present, which cleverly all link and connect. It's a really sweet story, and an interesting one, although I did find it hard to keep up with it at some points. However, I would recommend it.
Star Rating - 4 stars


What are some of your favourite books? Have you read anything this summer?
Lots of love, Jessie. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing!

    Just to let you know, I am running a giveaway on my blog at the moment, so if you haven't done so already, please visit my blog and take a look..

    http://polkaanddots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/100-followers-giveaway.html

    Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I need to give these a read! If you haven't read the "I Heart.." series by Lindsey Kelk I totally recommend them!

    Natalie xx

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS