Monday, 10 November 2014

Beauty Products We All Loved As Teens.

C'mon ladies, admit it. When we were teens there was a signature look we all went for; bright orange face, over plucked, almost non-existant eyebrows, and ultra-glossed lips. Oh, not forgetting a shimmery eyelid and all-over body glitter! 

I was looking through some old photos yesterday and the words that sprung to mind were - "what. the. f!#k". Honestly, what on earth was I thinking even walking round the house looking like that, let alone out in public?! And more importantly, why did my mother ever let me go out? Although, you have to laugh at how much things have changed, and at least I'm not alone. We all did it, even though we try to pretend we didn't!

So, for today's post I though I would take a trip down memory lane and do a little reminiscing. I've seen similar posts floating around before and found them so funny! However, here are some of the products I needed to survive back in those secondary school days...


1. Dream Matte Mousse - an absolute must-have product for looking cool in school. Oh, and it had to be at least two shades darker! And applied with a shovel. This orange paint made you look more oompa-loompa than Kate Moss, but it was definitely one of our survival weapons. 

2. Urban Decay Glitter Eyeliner - my friends and I would walk into registration every morning and would be turning round and walking straight back out to the bathroom within 0.83 seconds. Our form tutor would have none of it, but every day we insisted on walking into school with our heads held high and our eyelids resembling disco ballst. I had the purple one and was one of the only girls to have it (I felt so cool) and eventually we won the battle and the teachers gave up trying to stop us. How was wearing glitter on your eyelids affecting our education anyway? Except from when it caught some sunlight from the window and blinded the whole class...

3. Miss Sporty Eyeliner - when we started to say goodbye to glitter the black eyeliner emerged and that only looked good if it was applied in a "panda eyes" fashion. In other words, a subtle winged liner was not good enough. It had to be applied all around the eye and would end up being very smudged at the end of the day. Not a good look.

4. White Blonde Peroxide - this is just a personal one but what started as a few subtle highlights eventually turned into my head resembling a light bulb. My hair seriously suffered; constantly having to dye my roots and straightening it within an inch of its life ended in a drastic hair cut and me being afraid to dye my hair for at least four years. 

5.GHD Straighteners - I absolutely adore my GHDs but in school these were my life line. I straightened my hair with absolute precision every morning before school, and would leave with it looking a frizzy mess as my hair was so damaged and dry. But I insisted. I would also tie my hair up in the back and then pull all my fringe and bangs down over my face. What a state.

6. "Charlie" Body Sprays - you had to have one of these in your rucksack and it had to be sprayed every half hour to ensure the whole classroom stunk of cheap, overpowering body spray. I loved the different fragrances (Charlie Pink being a personal favourite). But if you opened it in front of a group of girls it ended in a huge queue of them waiting desperately to knick some spray, and after five people it would have all run out. 

7. Batiste Dry Shampoo - this is a life saver now but it was an absolute God send back in the teen days. I don't understand how or why my hair would get so greasy. I would have to constantly wash it as it was just so gross and I don't think my black roots and white hair helped. either.

All in all, they were hilarious times for make-up and hair. Going to school resembling something out of a circus was always fun, and the ongoing battle with teachers to have that little bit of freedom always brought some interesting debates in the classroom!

What were your must-have teen products?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

15 comments:

  1. I'm sure I stil have a Charlie spray looming around my room somewhere haha!!
    Love this post!
    www.jennieemma,co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, i'm guilty of that too! Thank you Jennie :) xx

      Delete
  2. Loved this little post - nice little throwback to school days! :)
    Dream matte mousse - I remember this being really fun to apply ha! And course putting a tad of it on your lips to get that sexy nude pout effect - NOT!

    LondonBeautyxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooh I forgot about the nude lip.. Gorgeous hahah! xx

      Delete
  3. This brought back some horrible memories haha! I alway wore dream matte mousse & Charlie red was the definition of cool haha :)

    www.simplysara.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post! I agree on the dry shampoo! I can't live without it even now :)

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, this was a really funny post :)

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to LOVE Dream Matte Mousse, although it broke me out terribly and as you said wore it too dark for me! It was a life savior! haha. Great post :)
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it made my skin awful too; it was so patchy! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, the Dream Matte Mousse!! And Charlie Body Sprays! What a trip down memory lane...thank you for this! :)

    http://amyscornerblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post! I remember going through endless amounts of Dream Matte Mousse, and having that classic orange jaw line look (classy)!

    http://leahclarkie.blogspot.co.uk/


    ReplyDelete
  9. JESSIE, You are absolutely right about these products
    Nice Sharing

    Get an Essay Online Done Fast

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS