Friday, 5 December 2014

Blogmas Day 5 | My Favourite Reads.

For me there's nothing better than cosying up in front of the fire with the Christmas lights twinkling around you, a nice fluffy blanket, and a good book. I love reading, although I don't have much time to do it, but whenever I get the chance it's one of my favourite things to do. For today's challenge we have to talk about books, so I thought I would hit you up with some of my recommendations. 

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
I have read the Twilight Saga and did enjoy it, but nothing compares to this. This is such an amazing book, I think I've read it at least three times. At first it was super hard to get into but it really is worth the read. It's about Earth in a post-Apolyptic time where the planet has been invaded by an alien race; essentially parasitic souls who live in the bodies of humans. However, there are resisters to the new race and some humans who are still in hiding. The story follows one soul's battle with her body as the original human occupier of the body refuses to leave. It has since been adapted into a film, which is equally as good, and if you haven't already I urge you to give it a try. 

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
I read this while on holiday in Majorca and it was such a gripping read. I think I read it in a matter of hours whilst sunbathing by the pool. When the circus comes to town all elderly man Jacob Janovski wants to do is go for a visit. Living in a nursing home, and with nothing more to do than dream the day away he re-lives memories of running away with the Benzini Brothers' circus when he was a young boy, where he falls in love. The tale unravels to show the darker side of circus life, and ultimately this elderly man's dream comes true when he escapes the nursing home and runs away with the circus once more. 

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Think of all the amazing things you could do if you were a time traveler.. you could fix problems, go to the future and even get to meet people before you even knew them. Well, that's not the case with Henry, who suffers from a rare condition in which he time travels unannounced. The novel follows Henry's story and his relationship with his wife, Clare, who he meets for the first time when he is twenty-eight at the library where he works. She is only twenty, but she has known him her whole life. This book is extraordinarily written. It made me laugh, and at the end it make me cry, as in blub. It was such an emotional ending. A fantastic read!

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni
I read this book back when studying A Level English as part of our exam revision and it is one of my favourites. Since then I have read more of Khaled Hosseini's books (in fact I'm reading one right now!). He writes about Afghanistan and the people living in it who live through the struggle of poverty, war and dictatorship. It's a culture I am not very familiar with and it's really fascinating to read about. I love how he shows a beautiful side of Afghanistan and the people in it.

What are your favourite books?
Lots of love,
Jessie.xoxo
TwitterInstagram | Bloglovin'

9 comments:

  1. I have The Host but I've never read it, but if you say it's super good, I'll have to give it a shot. I have seen the movie though.

    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! It's so good!! Just bear in mind that it's really hard to get into! xx

      Delete
  2. The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my all-time favourite novels! Some great picks here :)
    A xx

    http://amyscornerblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing but SO SAD!! Thanks Amy xx

      Delete
  3. Such great books,A thousand splendid suns is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one, Khaled Hosseini is amazing xx

      Delete
  4. Water for Elephants was a phenomenal book and movie. I just loved them both. I am currently reading about 5 different books -- tis the season afterall.. the Winter keeps me cuddled up inside where its warm!

    I am a new follower & would love it if you checked my page out and shared yours thoughts!

    Rica Marie xx
    ww.LaBellaVitax0x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS