Tuesday, 10 February 2015

A Weekend Away in London Town.


Last weekend Dan and I went on a little weekend break to London. It coincided with the #nyLDNmeet (post on that to follow!) but it was the perfect chance for us to get away and do something a little different. After weeks of working on our university assignments and not having time to spend with each other it was so nice to be able to spend time together and explore somewhere new! It's safe to say I was so excited to go!!
We caught the National Express bus from Cardiff to Victoria Coach Station and from there we headed to our Travelodge in Aldgate East. It was quite difficult to find actually and resulted in us strolling aimlessly through the streets but we couldn't help but laugh at our situation. When we finally arrived at the hotel we were really pleased with the lovely warm welcome and to find a spotlessly clean room.
Then it was time for some exploring! If there's one thing I love it's going out and exploring new places and luckily Dan is the same. And here's what we got up to ....



Our hotel was a stone's throw away from the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge, so we went for a lovely stroll along there and took some pretty pictures. Cityscapes at night are so pretty. We loved walking around and taking photos but it was soooo coooooold so eventually we hopped on a tube to Piccadilly Circus for some food at Pizza Express. It was absolutely stunning and amazing to eat something so calorific after weeks of dieting. We even scoffed down some dough balls and shared a chocolate brownie dessert; as Dan said "it's fine, we're on holiday!" ;) After food we went for another stroll around and ended up at Westminster to see the sights at night. Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament truly are beautiful, especially when lit up by the moonlight. I love how London never sleeps and that there are so many people from so many places gathered there, it's really amazing. 
The next day we were up early and ready for another busy day as it was the #nyLDNmeet! I've been to a few blogger meet ups before but was really excited for this one as it meant I would get to meet a lot of the ladies I've talked to on Twitter for quite some time. It was being held in a bar in Soho so Dan and I made our way to Oxford Circus for some shopping beforehand and then it was time to split up for the event... but more on that in Sunday's post! 


Way too happy in this picture which causes my double chin to emerge.
After the event was over (and Dan had had a little stroll through Hamley's - haha!) we carried on our day of exploring and headed back to Piccadilly CircusLeicester Square and China Town. It was super busy (and so cold) but it's so cool to see everyone bustling about and everything all lit up. In Wales it's so quiet and peaceful so it's a stark contrast being in London where there's the constant hum of people and traffic, but I loved it. 

After a yummy dinner at Strada we started to make our way back to the hotel as we were absolutely exhausted and then realised we hadn't been to see the Queen, so off we headed to Buckingham Palace. It is such a beautiful building and we kept laughing imaging what the Queen would think if she looked outside and saw us taking selfies with our selfie stick outside her house!! 
On Sunday it was our last day. Honestly, I was so gutted that it was our last day in London as I was having such an amazing time and the thought of returning to monotonous days of lectures and uni work was super depressing, but I was so excited as that day we were heading back to Westminster to go on the London Eye and to the Aquarium! Call it cliche but as a young Welsh couple we couldn't wait to go sightseeing and to do all those cliche touristy things!


It was a beautifully sunny day and Big Ben was lit up once more and almost sparkling. We took lots of photos and put the selfie stick to good use!! We then headed into London Aquarium which was really fun and really interesting. The little turtles were definitely my favourite - I would love to have a pet one in a pond in my garden - but unfortunately the lighting was awful in there so I didn't manage to get any good snaps. 


Then we came back into the daylight and headed to the queue for the London Eye. Honestly, I was dreading the queue as I thought we would be waiting for ages but it took us about ten minutes and we were stepping into that little glass pod. At first I was terrified! I had to sit in the middle of the pod on the little wooden bench and just watch as people roamed around taking photographs. I even gave Dan my camera as I was just so scared! (What an idiot.) On the way down though I finally got used to the idea of being suspended in mid-air and Dan and I managed to take another few selfies, of course. Seriously the selfie stick is such an amazing invention!!


After a walk past Downing Street and having some lunch in Trafalgar Square (Garfunkels was amazing!) we had the quickest dash ever to Covent Garden before racing back on the tube and practically running as fast as Usain Bolt to Victoria Coach Station to catch the bus back to Wales.
It was such a wonderful weekend and I felt so sad leaving. London is amazing and I had the best time with Dan. It was so funny and all we did was talk and laugh (soppy, I know!). It's even more gutting because we won't get to spend that much time together now because third year life will take over for both of us, but I guess we will just have to look ahead to a summer holiday instead!! :)
Have you been to London? 
Where are your favourite places to go?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo
Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

7 comments:

  1. Your pictures are lovely, looks like you had a great time!

    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a lovely time, you look sooo happy in the photo with the union Jack man!

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. Haha i know, i was meant to do a cheesy smile but i think i took the cheese a little too far haha! xxxx

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I am going for to london in a few weeks, can't wait! These pictures have made me even more excited haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh bet you're excited! I love it there but love Wales more haha, xx

      Delete
  4. London is absolutely gorgeous! It's definitely my favourite city, although I can't say I've visited a lot of different cities haha! xx

    Want to support each other on GFC/Bloglovin?

    Blog With Laura | My Blog

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS