Sunday, 29 March 2015

FOTD | Ball Make-Up.

Last night was my final ball at Cardiff University which honestly made me really sad. As much as I've always wanted to be back home in my familiar surroundings and my small countryside town I have grown to really love Cardiff and can't believe how fast time has gone and how quickly it's all coming to an end. I've made some amazing friends from my time here whom I will definitely keep in touch with and last night was a chance for us all to get together before the deadlines set in - and what better way than to get glammed up for a ball?!

For today's post I thought I would share with you my make-up look which I really enjoyed creating. I was wearing a mauve/purply/brown dress which was lace and I decided to keep the make up look fairly neutral with a subtle contour and a dark brown lip. 



BASE, CONTOUR AND HIGHLIGHT
I firstly primed my face with Bare Minerals "Prime Time" Primer before applying Estee Lauder Double Wear all over the face ensuring every area was covered. I used Rimmel London's Wake Me Up Concealer to hide blemishes on my cheeks and by the eyebrows. 

To highlight I then used L'Oreal Paris True Match Concealer in a much lighter shade and applied under the eyes, along the chin and across the t-zone. I actually used the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge, which is essentially a beauty blender, to apply this and was really impressed as usually I just blend so much with a brush that it just loses the highlight effect and this made sure it looked natural without completely disappearing. 

To contour I used Make-Up Revolution's Ultra Cover and Conceal Palette's darkest shade and applied this in lines along the temples, the hollows in my cheek and to outline the nose before buffing this in to ensure a natural, smooth finish. 

POWDER AND BLUSH
I set my base with Bobbi Brown's Foundation Powder and further accentuated the contoured areas with Bobbi Brown's Bronzer. I feel going over the contoured areas with a powder gives a deeper finish and is great for achieving a really contoured look. I also like to add bronzer along the jawline to give a more chiselled look and along the neck to blend with my fake tan. For blush I used Benefit's Bella Bamba to add a slight pink colouring - nothing to subtle, but just enough to give a rosy finish.

EYEBROWS
I used my favourite Benefit Gimme Brow, a gel which tapers brows in place as well as adding a little colour, before going over them with Benefit's Brow Zings wax and powder. While the brow gel does  give a little shape and enhances your natural brows I like to have mine more defined. Mine are slightly dodgy (remember they're sisters, not twins!) so they do need that helping hand that Brow Zings offers. As you're probably aware I love Benefit for all my brow related products! I also used the tip of the concealer wand to outline the brows which really gives them definition.

EYES
The eyes were primed with Benefit's Stay Don't Stray Eyeshadow Primer and then using my favourite palette, Urban Decay's Vice 3, I got to creating a subtle smokey eye. I tend to just throw anything on in the hope that it will fit but I primarily used "Undone" as a base all over the eyelids before adding some "Reign" into the eye socket to create a darkened look. I also applied a little "Brokedown" to give a golden shimmer. It's a ball after all so I wanted to add a little glamour! Then to highlight the brow bone I used "Last Sin"; this opens the eyes and makes them look large and alert.

For mascara I used my trusty MAC In Dimension 3D Lash Mascara which I love and then I lined the waterline with Urban Decay's Perversion eyeliner which is bloody amazing!! I like to take this right into the tear duct to really give a smoked finish. For the winged liner on the eyelid I used Collection 24 Hour Felt Tip Liner which really is great and so long-lasting, before adding some of my trusty Eyelure 101 Lashes for that extra volume and length. To blend these together with my natural lashes I add another layer of mascara which blends them together. 

LIPS
I wanted to use a rather dark lip shade to give a dramatic finish and Topshop's Sashay Away fits the bill perfectly here. I just love this lipstick - it's my absolute favourite. 

I think this is a look that anyone can recreate and while it does take a little extra time it gives a lovely, natural look that still has a glamorous edge. In my opinion it's the perfect look for a ball, wedding, engagement part or even a night out if you're wearing nude and neutral shades!

I'm really considering doing some more lengthy make up tutorials with step-by-step guides to applying which will help out lots of people who aren't quite as confident in applying and creating smoky eye looks. I've been asked by a friend to start doing reviews on here a few times and I think I just need to pluck up the courage and create the time to do so. Is this something you would like to see?

Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

25 comments:

  1. You look absolutely gorgeous!! Absolutely loving your eyes.
    x x | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look! Absolutely beautiful!!

    Nicky
    zeeblikesit.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous make up

    Ewelina
    xoxox
    chiclifestyleofewelina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look incred. Hope you had an amazing time at the ball.

    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll :) it was a really fab night! xx

      Delete
  5. As usual your makeup looks amazing! Hope you had a good time at the ball, and hopefully it wasn't too emotional!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much lovely lady :) It was a really good night thank you, and thankfully not too emotional! I think graduation will be the day where we finally realise it's all over :'( xx

      Delete
  6. You look amazing, I love the glamorous natural look :)
    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :) it's one of my favourite go-to looks also! xx

      Delete
  7. You look gorgeous sweetie, aw I remember my ball a couple of years ago :) Sashay away looks really gorgeous, the name reminds me of RuPaul’s drag race as well hehe. I’d love to see more of these type posts from you :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much hun! :) it's such a fab shade - you should definitely try it! Aww thanks, I think they will become more of a regular thing.xx

      Delete
  8. Wow, your make up is flawless and you look beautiful! I love Benefit's Brow Zings, I use it regularly to sort out my brows, and Double Wear is one of my all time favourite foundations.

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :) Brow Zings and Double Wear are my favourites - I've used them for years and will continue to do so I'm sure! xx

      Delete
  9. Oh Jessie, you look so stunning here! Such a flawless base and the eye makeup is spot on :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your make up is perfect and your eyes look so beautiful! Stunning look hun!
    xoxo

    Upholstery cleaners Hampstead

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your make up looks great but that smokey eye takes it to the next level - so professional looking x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! You look babe'n. And I love reading about what makeup products other ladies are using.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your eyebrow game is on point!!
    The lipstick shade really suits you as well. I've never tried any Topshop lipsticks and this has made me want to! xx

    http://leahpaige9xo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning

    franleanne.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS