Saturday, 25 April 2015

Week of Happiness 3 - Dealing With Assignment/Exam Stress.

I'm sure I've written a post very similar to this one before but it feels like today is a really good time to just ramble on and get those creative juices flowing. Basically, I'm STRESSED - unbelievably, ridiculously stressed - and it's not a good feeling. I've been working really hard lately to plan and get started on my assignments that are all due within two weeks of each other in May and it's really started to take its toll. I handed my dissertation draft in last week and went to visit my supervisor after a particularly stressful day and ended up crying in her office - absolutely mortifying. Luckily she is absolutely lovely and helped me to find books and gave me lots of advice to get my work on track, but with so much to do in the next few weeks I feel like I'm really struggling.
For me it feels like it's crunch time. Pretty much all of the school work, exams, revision, essay writing and years of studying that I've ever done will all come down to the final grades I get at university and it's really worrying. I know that there is more to life than university and getting good grades, but as someone who has always strived to do well academically I really am feeling the pressure, and I'm sure a lot of you are too. 

April and May can be a really shitty month filled with exams and deadlines and I thought that for today's post I would write about some of the things that help me deal with stress. I may not be the best person to write something like this as I am a constant ball of worry, but these are the things I do when it all gets a little too much!

1. Go for a walk - when your uni/school work or revision is getting a little too much and you can just see words swirling around the page then take a break. Go for a walk, whether it's for ten minutes or one hour, and just get away from your desk and your notes. Breathe in the fresh air and just relax and honestly you'll feel so much better. It really helps me to calm down and when I go back to my notes with a fresh mind I can often see the answers I was searching for in the first place. 

2. Exercise - similar to going for a walk I just love going to the gym when I'm stressed out. Taking an hour out, lacing up my trainers and hitting the gym for a gruelling work out always helps to take my mind off things. Releasing those endorphins will help to relieve stress and feelings of anxiety and will also help you to have a better night's sleep, another bonus for those of you who are kept up with worry about your exams/assignments.

3. Have a nice hot shower/bath - there really is nothing better than a little pamper night (check out how I pamper myself here). Have a lovely hot shower or bath, use up some of your favourite bath products, wash your hair and give your head and temples a good massage and, when you come out, slather yourself in body moisturiser to leave your skin feeling soft before hopping into your pyjamas. This will relax you before another long night of studying. 

4. Take a break - for one night sometimes it's good to take a break away from your notes and laptop. Spend time with your friends or family, read a book or catch up on some blogging. I always feel super guilty if I'm spending any time away from my work but sometimes this really is needed. If you keep constantly staring at your work it's going to haunt you and you're going to make silly mistakes, at least that's what I do. That time away will refresh your mind and allow you to look into things with a clear head afterwards.

5. If all else fails... Online shopping - I know this certainly cheers me up when I'm down in the dumps haha! I decided to treat myself to a few items of clothing on Wednesday as I had worked so hard over the past few weeks and just felt like I needed a little pick me up. I know all you beauty and fashion bloggers love a little online shop too ;)

It may be tough now, but all this hard work will pay off in the end. It is really difficult to have faith though and right now the thought of another month of university work and assignments with no time to do anything else in between is really daunting. However, I'm sure through using these little tips I will be able to get through it, even if it is a struggle!

How do you combat assignment/revision stress?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo
Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

38 comments:

  1. Girl, this is EXACTLY what I needed right now. I've been so stressed lately and am bored of the standard (not very helpful tips) Each point is so useful and perfect for relaxing. Plus, that last point... my kinda girl ;) Great post hun, good luck with your exam prep... you'll be amazing I'm sure!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks lovely :) have a nice pamper night whilst searching through the online clothes stores and treat yourself hehe ;) thanks Ellie, I really hope so xx

      Delete
  2. Oh this post brings back memories! I was the exact same last year. I remember handing my dissertation in thinking everything was finally all done only to realize I had another essay and exam the following week! You will get there! You panic and think it's impossible at the time but you'll get it done because you have no other choice! (well, you could quit now but that's silly talk haha)
    Good luck with it all!

    Leah xx

    leahpaige9xo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I know! I have two assignments within two weeks of handing in my diss - so stressful! You'd think they would spread them out a little haha Thanks so much Leah :) xx

      Delete
  3. That final semester is always the most stressful, but you can do it! Oh and don't feel embarrassed about breaking down in tears in your Supervisors office. I'm sure she's seen it many times before. You can't write a dissertation without a few tears along the way!
    Reading your post made me remember how stressful my final year was...my dissertation supervisor retired with no warning, botched up our analysis and failed to hand our dissertation over to another lecturer, which resulted in us having to decipher it, teach it to a respected Academic and find a way to salvage it. It's far to say we had a lot of tears haha. But we all survived, so I'm certain that despite the stress of all your assignmnets I'm sure you'll come out on top! Not to mention, the amazing feeling of relief when everything is handed in.
    For the mean time, treat yourself to those gym sessions to sweat out the stress and then go buy LOTS of things online. It's the perfect solution :)
    xxx
    Tasmin | Grandiose Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO many people have said that she's probably had to deal with it many times before haha, it does make me feel a lot better! Oh dear god, I genuinely think I would have gone crazy with all the stress - I can't believe they left you to just struggle like that!! But thank you for your really kind words :) it means a lot xxx

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post! I really needed this right now- I'm so stressed! I know you are going to be fine, so keep positive! Thanks for sharing your tips- I'll be coming back to this post daily! Haha! Xxxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Eve, you'll be completely fine - I have a lot of faith in you!! I hope you enjoy your pamper night xx

      Delete
  5. I have been so stressed lately because of A Levels :( Some great tips here though I think I might need a pamper session haha x

    Phoebe’s Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww gosh I remember my A Levels :( good luck lovely! And a pamper session always helps xx

      Delete
  6. Online shopping always cheers me up! Also going for long walks with my dog helps too :)

    Jenna | Jenna Loves Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always take my dogs for company too :) xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed at the moment, but you definitely have the right approach by seeing that it will all be worth it and that a balance is important :) I particularly enjoy the retail therapy suggestion ;)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Karen - retail therapy is always a huge help ;) xx

      Delete
  8. While I was writing my uni dissertation, my blog was a great way of de-stressing x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love it! But sometimes get so hooked that I don't want to do my diss and just want to blog instead haha xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Ahh good luck Amy! I'm sure you will do brilliantly! xx

      Delete
  10. First of all good luck :) When I was studying, especially writing assignments, make sure you plan, plan, plan. It's so much easier when you've prepared :) Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, but with your dissertation, write your literature review first and your introduction last, write one chapter at a time and it makes it so much easier :)

    Lauren xx - bylaurenjane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this advice Lauren :) I'm trying to plan out my next assignments now but it feels like my diss is taking over.. I'm just worried I won't be prepared enough for my other essays :( thank you lovely!! I have written it chapter by chapter so just trying to mesh them together now so that it flows nicely. xx

      Delete
  11. All about the online shopping! I feel guilty when I have a break too but I always make sure that I stop working at 5pm and I have the evening off. Doing psychology I know they say having the evening off and a good night sleep actually helps you to remember the information more! If you feel guilty read your notes before you sleep and you should absorb them :) just my little tip! Xx

    Jesstastics.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha can't beat it ;) I do sometimes give myself the evening off - most nights actually - but last night I was on fire haha! I'm starting to wonder if my brain works better at night? Aw thanks lovely, good luck for your exams although I'm sure you'll do fabulously. xx

      Delete
  12. I feel you on the workload! I'm in awe of how you can keep up your blogging so well as you're cracking in all of your uni deadlines - I'm really struggling to find the time! Deffo some good tips here though :)

    AlicePhillipss ¦ A Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much pressure isn't it?! Aw thanks Alice - I literally don't do anything other than work, gym or blog at the moment haha. Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  13. Best of luck with the rest of your exams/assignments! I felt the exact same last year, just remember it will all be over before you know it and then you have the rest of your life to look forward to :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole :) I can't believe how quickly the end is approaching - crazy!! xxx

      Delete
  14. Hi there babe, u ok?
    Lovely blog and post, I like your style of writing,
    thanks for sharing this with us.
    Follow back if you don't mind.
    Visit me whenever you have time;
    www.its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk
    Anyway have a lovely week!
    Stay in touch.
    Kisses!
    Dominica S.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is EXACTLY how I feel sweetie! Good luck though :) Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow

    xx
    ❤ The Jewel Beauty Blog ❤ || Chanel Rouge Coco Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww noo :( it's the worst isn't it? Good luck to you too! Eek and me, I'm SO excited!! xx

      Delete
  16. this is such a great post! very helpful

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen :) so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  17. These are great tips that can definitely be applied to being stressed with work as well. Exercise is always a great way to blow of some steam and feel better.

    Rae | love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't think of work too - glad it applies :) yes I always love to exercise xx

      Delete
  18. Good luck. I always find reading a good book usually helps with stress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! I find that too :) xx

      Delete
  19. Haha online shopping for happiness is a dangerous path!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, my daughter is exactly at the same stage as you - she's done her dissertation, just finished 6 weeks of teaching practice and is exhausted to say the least and now has two assignments to get in by middle of May! Good luck - try and relax and take what help and support is offered at uni! Your blog is lovely and has given me lots of ideas for things to get my own daughter as her birthday is fast approaching.

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS