Thursday, 7 May 2015

Five Steps To Clearer Skin.


Those of you who regularly read my blog or follow me on Twitter (get following here) will know that recently I've had a skincare overhaul. For months I was really unhappy with my skin. It was full of horrible, nasty spots that were really painful to touch and I would have to cover them with thick, heavy make-up. One day even my mother was alarmed when picking me up after being away at university to see my bad my skin had gotten. 

As the summer was creeping closer I was feeling more and more down about how my skin looked and had no idea what to do. I didn't want to be walking around in the hot weather with a face full of makeup and so I took the plunge and went to Debenhams for a full skincare consultation. Since then I've seen an incredible change in my skin and with little changes to my diet and lifestyle here and there my skin has cleared up so I can leave the house with just some concealer and a little powder - something I would never have done a few months ago! 

I know lots of you suffer with these problems and let me tell you, there is a way to combat them! By using these five easy steps I have seen a huge difference and I thought I would share them all with you. If they help just one person I will be so happy.

1. Sort out your skincare routine
Before getting a solid skincare routine I would use a Simple Cleanser to remove my makeup, and that was that. I thought I was a responsible beauty blogger removing my makeup each night, but let me tell you - I wasn't! Using a cleanser removes the top layer of makeup but my skin was still clogged with dirt and looking back now it's actually quite gross. The next morning I would get up and put on my usual makeup products when in reality my face wasn't properly clean. 

In hindsight this was obviously causing me to break out. My skin is oily anyway so for my skin to be blocked by a layer of makeup causing excess oil to not be removed from the skin then it was clearly just crying out for help! Now I use Clinique's Anti-Blemish solutions range and it has changed the way I treat my skin forever. It has really worked wonders. I cleanse, tone and moisturise with both a moisturiser and a gel both morning and evening and my skin is fresh and squeaky clean. In fact, it's like my skin craves it and it starts feeling all gross if I haven't washed it as soon as I wake up. 

I have been using the products for about two months and my skin is visibly clearer. I still have a  few scars from spots on my cheeks but these are gradually fading and are easily covered with a little concealer. Having a skincare regime is so important. I can't stress this enough!

2. Don't fake tan your face.
Every girl loves a little bit of the bronze stuff to give a natural, warm glow - right? I love the fake tan myself and have been using lots of different ones over the past few months, but made the mistake of tanning my face also. Thinking about it, this was another layer of gunk added onto my face and clogging up my pores and since stopping I have noticed a huge change. Admittedly, it looks hilarious walking around with a tanned body and a white face, but that's nothing a little bronzer can't solve!

3. Change your foundation.
As much as I love you, Estee Lauder Double Wear, you really are the devil when it comes to breaking me out. I used to wear Double Wear daily. It's got fabulous coverage, so I felt like I needed it to cover those pesky blemishes but as it's so heavy it was probably making it a lot worse! Team that with the fact I wasn't removing my makeup properly and we have a serious problem here. As soon as I bought the Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions skincare products I switched up my foundation and reverted back to Bare Minerals. Using a mineral powder without the harsh chemicals has been amazing. My skin can actually breathe! It's got surprisingly awesome coverage too so perfect for ladies like myself with blemished skin.

4. No make-up days are the best days.
Lately I have had absolutely no reason to wear makeup as I've been sat in the house all day doing uni work. Apart from adding a little mascara and brow gel along with some powder for the gym - nobody deserves to see me completely bare faced - I've been absolutely loving days where I've not had to apply makeup. For me, I enjoy wearing makeup and I love the process of applying and transforming myself into something slightly less scary than my natural look, but I've been embracing these days and, on the days where I have worn a full face of makeup for work or a night out, I've been itching to get home and wash it off! After a thorough wash in the morning and letting my skin breathe all day I go to bed refreshed and my skin is thanking me for it!

5. Avoid alcohol. 
This may be just a problem that only affects me but I noticed that after a particularly heavy night out my face looked like a bomb site. As a university student, going out drinking is part of the package but it was not helping my skin whatsoever. After a heavy night out my skin would be terrible for days afterwards, and just as it was starting to clear again - bam! - another night out was on the cards. Such a vicious cycle! I haven't been out drinking for five weeks now and the one night I did go out I only drank a cocktail. What a difference it has made. Whereas before I would be plagued with little spots all along my t-zone and cheek area I now feel fresh-faced and it's made me turn over a new leaf and steer clear of the alcohol. 

In just two short months since making these changes my skin is clear and I am so much happier and more confident. I was so conscious of my skin and would wear my hair down all the time to try and cover a lot of my face and would often talk to people subconsciously with my hands covering the particularly spotty areas. It really is amazing what these simple steps can do. 

What are your tips for clearer skin?
Let me know if you try any of these and how they work for you!
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

23 comments:

  1. Alcohol really is the devil for horrendous skin the following morning! I finished uni a year ago and now notice my skin is much better as I don't go out as much as I did then!
    Leah xx

    http://theultimateobsessions.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! My skin was so awful :( since cutting out alcohol it's a million times better. Uni causes stress and alcohol causes spots haha xx

      Delete
  2. Great tips Jessie, thank you for sharing! :)
    Simimaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab post Jessie! :)

    For me, what's made a MASSIVE difference to my face is actually just double-cleansing (once to remove makeup, once to properly cleanse) with a cold cream and drinking a LOT of water.

    I read this blog post a few weeks ago, started drinking 3 litres a day just to see what happened and, honestly, within a week I had a ton of people complimenting me on how glowy I looked. It's made such a huge difference! :) xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy : ) I'm glad you like it. I double cleanse too now! And that water challenge sounds great.. I think Ill have to try it. I don't drink enough water.. 1.5 litres is my aim each day so I'll have to bump it up! xx

      Delete
  4. Yes I love a bare faced day every now and then, gives your skin some time off.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all really helpful tips and I'm so pleased to hear your skin has improved a little :) I battled really awful spots for years and they just make you feel so horrible :( I swear by the boots skin clear spot gel, it calms the little buggers right down!
    Love Holly x

    www.thehollydays4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! : ) I'm glad you liked it! Ooh I haven't tried this one, I'll have to have a look. xo

      Delete
  6. Such amazing tips! When I was at uni, I always had bad skin because of all the drinking I was doing, now that I've graduated and don't go out as much, my skin is noticeably clearer. I'd love to try Clinique's Anti-Blemish solutions range as it sounds so lovely!
    Abi | RamblingsofaBlonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abi! I think the drinking is such a bad thing for your skin and body haha - but we all do it! It's really good, let me know if you try it! xx

      Delete
  7. There's nothing worse than having spots is there? I totally sympathise having been through this myself. I think alcohol effects my skin too. X

    ♥ Carly's Beauty World - A UK Hair, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely nothing worse! Makes you feel so down. Aww I'm glad your skin is better now though xx

      Delete
  8. I love make up but no make up days are the best, I never wear make up when I'm staying in the house.

    Jenny | That Northern Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes same! They really are so good. xx

      Delete
  9. Such good tips lovely. I'm quite lucky with my skin generally, but if I do go a little wine/takeaway crazy... it definitely goes to pot! Love the sound of the anti-blemish solutions range too. Great post hun :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I am jealous haha! Wine is always a bad one for me. Thank you Ellie :) xx

      Delete
  10. I loved this post! Whenever I think of the days where I would quickly take off my make-up with a make-up wipe I shudder. Switching to a real cleanse-tone-moisturise routine has done wonders for my skin as well. At night time, after using toner I will sometimes use Witch Hazel Gel as well. I find it really helps to keep spots at bay when I'm having an oily-skin day. Oh and as for making a few healthy changes. It's crazy how much of a positive affect that can have on your skin. Since switching up my lifestyle and becoming healthier, I've noticed my skin is the best it's ever been. Though, obviously I still have my bad days.
    I loved this post and I'm so jealous of your recent no make-up days. I always find after not wearing make up for a few days your skin looks so much naturally fresh and bright! I'm feeling a no make-up weekend, starting tomorrow :)
    xxx
    Tasmin | Grandiose Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww my lovely, thanks so much! I know.. it's quite gross to think how dirty our skin was having just used a quick wipe. I was quite gutted because I started to eat healthily and only drink water and my skin got worse! In hindsight I needed to really up my skincare regime. Ahh thank you!! Enjoy your makeup free weekend : ) xx

      Delete
  11. No makeup days are the best!!! I aways feel like my makeup goes on easier and fresher when I have and a bit of break! One other tip would be drink more water. I drink 2 litres a day and feel so dehydrated if I get any less! Crazy!

    WWW.STYLELOBSTER.COM
    https://www.youtube.com/user/emilyvalentineparr

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS