Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Review | Dusty Girls Base Products.*


If you're a regular reader of All Things Beautiful, you would have seen a few products from Australian brand, Moogoo, on my blog. For those of you who don't know, Moogoo is a brand that prides itself in selling natural skincare products that especially cater for specific skin types and problems. After the success of Moogoo, the brand decided to develop a makeup range, Dusty Girls, which uses the clays of the Earth for the base of their products.


 I first heard about the brand at the #nyLDNmeet that I attended back in January, and since then I have really fallen hook, line and sinker for their gorgeous, natural products, so I was absolutely delighted when I received a little package in the post from them with some new products to try. I received the Tinted Earth Cream* and the Golden Delicious Natural Mineral Blush*, which are the company's brilliant base products.

I've said it before, but I just love the innovation the company offers. The products come packed in a cute cardboard box and secured in a heap of 'straw', as if its been shipped straight from the farm. I absolutely love this touch and always get excited to receive one of their parcels. It's really brilliant!


The Tinted Earth Cream* is essentially a BB cream which claims to provide some coverage as well as offering sun protection throughout the day. It's made from 'skin-soothing oils', such as Nigella Sativa Oil and Manuka Tree Leaf oil, which cater to acne-prone skin and lots of nourishing ingredients like Magnolia Acuminata Extra for skin repair. It comes in two shades and caters for most skin tones. I was so excited to try this product! I want a nice light foundation to wear on holiday and the fact that it has sun protection factor and works to combat acne skin was a winner in my eyes. Dusty Girls claims it will 'replace your moisturiser, sunscreen, primer, foundation and concealer' in one.

Unfortunately, I'm quite unsure on the product. It says to use a pea-size amount of cream and to use your hands to apply to the face. I tried this but it just felt like I was wiping the product away so I decided to use my usual Miracle Complexion Sponge from Real Techniques and it applied a lot better. The coverage for me was not enough; I wanted to conceal my blemishes so I had to apply a little more to get the sort of coverage I wanted. 

I expected a nice, natural finish, but it's quite thick. This may be because I have to apply a little more than is recommended as I want a heavier coverage, but I just feel like it doesn't look natural. My skin looks shiny when wearing it and feels quite oily, and I've even had Dan telling me that it looks  a little too much. This has come from a boy who has seen me with full on Estee Lauder Double Wear, powder, concealer and blusher with a Kim K contour for a night out, so I was surprised by this. 

Sadly, I just don't think the product works for me. It's got quite a creamy consistency and results in a dewy texture, so it just works against my oily skin base. I prefer to use matte based products because of this reason and, while I'm sure it would work perfectly on others, it just didn't work for me with my oily t-zone and acne prone cheeks. 

On the other hand, the Dusty Girls Natural Mineral Blush in Golden Delicious* looks like it's going to be a new favourite! I've been using the 'Pink Ladies' blush from the Dusty Girls range for the past few weeks and am so in love with it, so I was really excited to use the Golden Delicious shade. The blushes are made from natural oils and contain no nasty chemicals or talcs. This one is a deep brown which is ideal for darker skin tones, so would look great with a summer tan!

Despite the product being a powder base, it has quite a rich, creamy texture, if that makes sense? A creamy powder? Well, that's the best way to describe it! It is soft to touch and blends nicely onto the skin without any fall out which is an absolute bonus for me. I personally use it as a contour, along the cheek bones, under the chin and at the temples and it gives a lovely, strong finish. For me, it has a striking resemblance to my favourite Bobbi Brown bronzing powder but with a cheaper price tag, which is great for the student budget. I'll definitely be using this product daily throughout the summer and especially on holiday!

Have you tried anything from Dusty Girls?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

* products were sent for review but, 
all thoughts and opinions are my own

26 comments:

  1. It's a shame the BB cream wasn't for you :/ I love the idea of a company using natural clays :)

    The Everyday Life of Rachel.blogspot.co.uk">The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :( it is the only product from MooGoo that I haven't got on with! Me too, it's great to see such a natural company! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Sadly I didn't get on with the Earth Cream either :( I felt the same when I used my fingers to apply. I tried with a sponge and it was a little better, it was just too dark for my skin tone. Damn being pale.

    Tamsyn-Elizabeth | Peaches and Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I thought it was just me being fussy! I felt it was quite dark too, such a shame as I was so excited to try it! xx

      Delete
  3. The packaging is so cute. I love the sounds of the blush, you've sold me! xx

    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the packaging on this! It looks so healthy and good for you - smart marketing ;) Sophie xx
    www.fashionnomads.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very smart haha! It's so bright and pretty! xx

      Delete
  5. I think the Tinted Earth Cream would be perfect for my dry skin... If only it was available worldwide!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes! I'm sure it would work perfectly for dry skin! It was just too much for me. xx

      Delete
  6. I defiantly read the BB cream as having 'salvia' in it...haha, I was thinking thats a tad gross! But, the entire brand sounds lovely really!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jesus, I missed that bit hahaha!! Definitely gross.. Yes it is really nice : ) I've been impressed with all the products I have tried, except for the BB cream xx

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of this brand before, I always love reading about new ones though! I love the packaging, I have never got on too well with BB creams as i find them too thick but the blush sounds amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely :) I also love the packaging! I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get on with BB creams.. I would love to find one that suits my skin though! xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds lovely, the packaging is really cute too! Thanks for sharing! :)

    I have a new post on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen :) the packaging is lovely! xx

      Delete
  9. I never got around to try any of these products. But I am all for natural ones, so maybe I will in the near future :)

    -L | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like natural products I would definitely try out their brand. xx

      Delete
  10. The packaging is the cutest! Anything similar to bobbi brown is always good! X

    Glam night look over at-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Love Bobbi Brown :) xx

      Delete
  11. I am so so glad I read this lovely, I really wasn't a fan of the tinted earth cream either but worried that it was just my application. The more I tried to blend, the more it rubbed off/crumbled on my face. Totally agree with you on the bronzer too, that's a winner in my eyes! :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad it's not just me! It just doesn't seem to have the right formula to suit my face unfortunately :( but yes, i love the bronzer! xx

      Delete
  12. What! I love my Bobbi brown bronzer, I need the golden delicious, shame about the tinted cream, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently received a moogoo moisturiser for my birthday, definitely want to try out some things from the dusty girls makeup range x
    han // em&han xo

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS