Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Fitness | Five Reasons Why I Love Running.

If my seventeen year old self could see me writing this now I think they would faint - the five reasons I love running! Honestly, this is something I never thought I would be writing about on my blog. I used to absolutely despise running and when I first started the gym I went with hopes that I would lose weight with as little vigorous movement as possible. Three years later and I'm running on a regular basis and have actually grown to love it!
I started attending circuits classes in December and I found out that I could actually run. In primary school I was one of the fastest runners in the class and even won the Sportsperson Award at the end of the year. In secondary school I lost all my love for sport. I blame it on the terrible PE teachers who didn't care about any sports other than rugby or netball. I danced about three nights a week, but slowly my fitness levels decreased and I started to gain weight - something which really got me down as I had always been so tiny. 

After two years of the gym and starting to increase my fitness levels and experience with lots of different classes, I decided to attend circuits. I had tried it two years before and struggled so much that I decided never to go back. I was so nervous but finished the class feeling so proud of myself as not only had I kept up, but I was ahead of a lot of the regular circuits goers. Since then I have attended circuits classes up to four times a week, and I absolutely love it. 
We now spend the summer evenings running on the track and I have gradually seen so many changes in my body. I even go running with Dan in the evenings and there are so many benefits that I have found from running regularly.

1. Weightloss
I have been on a health and fitness journey for the best part of eight-nine months. I started eating a lot more healthily before that, but have really focused since the end of the summer last year and in the past year and a half I've dropped about three dresses sizes, from an unhealthy size 10-12 to a healthy size 6-8. Cutting out junk food and sugary snacks was the turning point, but I believe these circuits classes have really aided my weightloss. Running has shifted the excess weight I wanted to say goodbye to as it is said to burn more calories than any other activity. 

2. Toning
What's more it's really helped me to tone up, especially my legs and bum. It really strengthens the muscles and helps you get those pins summer-ready! Your legs get physically stronger and you will see a visible difference. This has really helped improve my confidence too.

3. Seeing my fitness levels improve
I can remember the first time I went out on the track for our circuits class this summer. I honestly found it so difficult, and the long distance runs really tired me out. My heart rate was so fast, and by the end of the hour I couldn't wait to go home and eat and sleep. I also had serious DOMS in the muscles the next day, but by the fifth track session I was so amazed by how much better I was coping. I still do find it difficult but the change since my first session and now is incredible. 

4. Clearing the mind/Stress relief
The past few weeks have been horrendous for me, having to deal with dissertations, university assignments and just being a complete ball of stress. The best way to combat this was a work out and running outside in the evening air was perfect. I used to look forward to the circuits classes and then myself and Dan started going to the beach for runs too, and it really helped to calm me down, regather my thoughts and allowed me to focus on the task in hand afterwards. As you run your mind floats away and you get a chance to release all those negative thoughts. It really was a lifesaver for me. It improves your mood and is also said to help with anxiety and depression.

5. Improving sleep
The best thing apart from the health and wellbeing benefits? After a good run you will definitely have a good night's sleep. I sleep quite well anyway, but running knocks me out for a good eight hours and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. Improved nights' sleep also boosts your energy levels and I find I am much more enthusiastic! 

These are just some of the benefits I have found for myself but there are so many more health benefits, such as reducing high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease and even improving your brain cognition. Don't get me wrong, it took ages to get used to running and it's been a love hate relationship. If running isn't for you then a nice long walk will work just as well. Being out in the fresh air and being healthy works wonders for me! 

My next challenge is to improve my long distance running. I find it quite difficult but it helps having a training buddy to pull you along. I would love to sign up to and complete a 10k at the end of the year. 

What's your favourite kind of exercise?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

21 comments:

  1. I’m running 10k this weekend in London and can’t wait. I too love running. But I always have it’s just a sport I had forgotten about. The best thing about running is that everyone can do it, it doesn’t matter how fast, or how far, everyone can get their trainers on and give it a go.

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh good luck hun! That's amazing :D totally agree.. It's so easy to get up and started! xx

      Delete
  2. I love reading these posts, gives me so much motivation to actually get out and run. Or do any form of exercise ;) Definitely need to though for the old stress levels, a healthy non alcohol related way to relax is right up my street haha!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post hun :) Exercise always helps me to de-stress.. Much more effective than waking up with a hangover haha ;) xx

      Delete
  3. This is a really great post - I just wish I could run after reading it haha. Like you, I was one of the fastest in my school but despite trying a few times in adulthood, I just can't run. I do go on lots of hikes and walks though so I'll pretend it's just as good ;)

    Danielle xo
    www.underlandtowonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! :) Ahh i thought that but since starting regularly I realised I actually can run haha. Hiking is always good too! :D xx

      Delete
  4. Yay I loved reading your fitness story and that is a gorgeous photo ^. I now run 3 times a week and absolutely love it too - it's such a good break from everyday life and the improvements in fitness & toning are really noticeable :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you love, that's made my day :) it's true - you really do notice a difference! xx

      Delete
  5. These are so true! For me, it is just getting myself out of the door because I can be very lazy now it is summer! xx
    alicekatex ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I know but I do love running in the sunshine :) xx

      Delete
  6. Great post, these are so true. I used to hate gym in school, because I wasn`t very athletic. Now I go to gym 3-4 times a week and I love it, maybe because there`s no pressure.

    http://www.beautynerd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) that's true and you get to do sport you actually enjoy. xx

      Delete
  7. I love running, too, though I've only been doing it for a few months, haha! Your legs are definitely amazing, and I can understand why, now! Enjoyed this post immensely!

    May x • THE MAYDENbloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek thank you May, that's such a lovely comment! : ) I thought it was a very unflattering angle but I loved the view haha - thank you! xx

      Delete
  8. I've always been really terrible at running, I just don't have the stamina to do it. I really want to start though, I do classes etc at the gym but that's it atm! But I've bought a Fitbit to try and lure myself into it haha x

    www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the gym classes and slowly moved onto running - you can do it girly! :) Ooh I have a jawbone and love it. xx

      Delete
  9. I've just started running, I never used to be able to do it. I couldn't even run for a minute a few months ago, I eased myself into it with the C25K app and now I regularly clock up 5k when I run (about 3-4 times a week). I hated it so much at first but recently I've really found my rhythm and I'm addicted. I'm not particularly fast but just getting my trainers on and heading outside is such a good stress release and I get such a rush from it!
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may try this app as people seem to find it really helpful and it may help me with long distance. I definitely get a rush too.. At the time I am just praying for it to be over but such a great feeling when you're done :) xx

      Delete
  10. I have a love/hate relationship with running. I go through months of loving it, and running lots and improving my fitness and feeling good. But once I break the habit, because of holidays or whatever, I find it really hard to get back into it! :( xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes that's the only problem.. When you stop it takes ages to get back into it! xx

      Delete
  11. I haven't ran since school! But it's definitely something that I'd love to start doing, just need the motivation haha! http://coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS