Saturday, 27 June 2015

Lifestyle | Do What Makes You Happy.


Isn't it funny that as we grow our priorities change and we start to enjoy completely different things? I wrote about this a little while ago but while I now prefer nights in and long walks on the beach on a Saturday night, I am still struggling to adjust to saying no and turning down offers without getting the feeling that I am an old fart, even though it's simply because I no longer want to go out and get completely wasted.

A turning point came a few weeks ago when I went to a festival and decided I didn't want to drink as I was going on holiday the following week (currently here now, so hey guys! Don't be jealous ;)) and didn't want to spend the week before being ill and generally feeling like sh*t after recovering from a  weekend of alcohol and jager bombs. People were shocked when I was turning down drinks and I felt like I had to give a full explanation to everyone as to why I wasn't drinking, when in reality it was simply because I didn't want to. I stood in the festival tent with the music blaring and people shouting and screaming around me and just felt like I was in the completely wrong place. I ended up heading home early that day and felt so stupid, especially when I saw so many tweets and Facebook statuses saying how much of a good weekend it was, when I felt like it was just a waste of my precious money and time. 

It wasn't until a few days later when I realised that it's okay to say no to the things that you used to always do. I saw a tweet saying that you should do whatever makes you happy, even if others think it's boring or stupid or lame, and I finally got it. Why am I trying to please others when I'm not even pleasing myself? What's the point of doing things or going somewhere that you know deep down you're not going to enjoy? 

From there I made a pledge to myself to start putting myself first. I feel like I've always tried to accommodate to everyone and realistically that's just not possible. For me now my main focus is to work hard and to get the dream job I have always wanted, to spend time with my family, friends and boyfriend doing the little things I love, and to keep happy and healthy. After all, that really is the most important thing. : )

Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

20 comments:

  1. I love this! I totally know how you feel. I'm turning 22 on Monday and I feel like I really should be turning 32! But I honestly just love being at home either by my self or with my husband chilling out. Most of the time I'd rather have a few friends over for dinner and wine than have a massive house party! I think you need to always do what makes you happy!! Good friends will accept it no matter what. :)

    Nicky
    zeeblikesit@blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday for yesterday :) I'm glad I'm not the only one! And that's true, they will accept it : ) xx

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post Jessie and so, so true. Far too many people (myself very much included) make decisions based on what other people are going to think when the only opinion that should count is your own.
    I've never been a big drinker at all, there's just not many things that I can stand the taste of unfortunately, but the amount of times people have tried to force me to drink is ridiculous and I'm ashamed to have given in a few times even though it made me feel dead uncomfortable. Nowadays though I stick to my guns. I'm honestly happy enough sober and can still have a great time! x

    daydreamkatie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie : ) I'm the same - always worrying about what people think - but I think it's time I stopped that! Good for you for sticking to your guns!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post! I can really relate to what you are saying; sometimes saying no is the best possible choice. It is so important to do things that you feel comfortable and happy doing. Keep making positive posts like these - they are brilliant! :)
    Hope you're having a fabulous holiday! xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eve :) I'm so glad you like this posts. xxx

      Delete
  4. Loved this. I'm definitely over the going for a night out sort of thing too, I much more enjoy staying in, inviting people over that matter and having a good time! In pjs, or trackies hahaha.

    Katina | www.katinalindaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pjs and trackies are always the best outfits haha! xx

      Delete
  5. wow. i feel the same way... like my interests are completely different from my peers, & sadly as i turn down more & more invites, i realize i slowly lose contact with people. i honestly crave more variety. the same ol' club hopping rotation is such a bore. i want to travel & explore or at least have a meaningful conversation. (: thanks for sharing! :D

    ♥ | http://www.connect-the-cloths.com | xoxo
    http://blogspotter.co/connect-the-cloths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh i'm glad you feel the same way! I am quite lucky that my friends are really understanding but I feel the same - there's so much more to life than getting wasted! xx

      Delete
  6. I agree 100%. The only person that you need to please is yourself! :)
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post, I really needed to hear something like this so thank you lovely.

    I hope you are having a wonderful time on holiday.
    www.sixthskyline.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Shannon : ) I'm glad you enjoyed it! xx

      Delete
  8. This is basically why I don't do festivals! People didn't seem to understand, they will one day!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post - and inspirational. I am going to aim to live this for July x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you. It's so important to do what you want and to listen to your body and what it wants and needs. I went out recently with friends and didn't drink either and had the same questions asked of me and it's horrible when you're stood there and everyone else is drinking and you're like "I don't want to be here...." xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and thoughtful post. I so agree with many of the things you mentioned about boozing etc. I have never been a big drinker and sometimes felt left out of the loop with other people but I’ve learnt to do more things for myself. It seems like you are in a good place and are doing things for you! :-) xxx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS