Saturday, 13 June 2015

Lifestyle | Exploring Stackpole the Pembrokeshire coast.

 On a hot summers day there really is no better place to live than Wales. Of course, I am biased, but seriously it's such a beautiful country, rich with mountains, lakes, scenic coastlines and views that literally look like something out of a feature film. Last Sunday was such a beautiful day. I had just got back from Cardiff after seeing One Direction and I quickly showered and had some lunch before Dan picked me up and we headed West for a day in the sunshine. 
On the bridge at Bosherston.
I took Dan to a place that is very close to my heart. Stackpole is a designated landscape in Pembrokeshire, and has some amazing little places to visit ranging from hidden beaches, cliff tops views, gorgeous woodland and lilyponds and cute little tea rooms. It's a place I go every summer with my nannie and grandad and it's one of my favourite places ever. It reminds me of my childhood, and I have many happy memories there. 

The first place we headed was Bosherston Lily Ponds. These are man-made lakes which were created over 200 years ago to form the background of the Stackpole Court house and they are truly beautiful. There are lots of bridges allowing you to cross the lake and the area is abundant with wildlife. We saw lots of bright blue dragonflies and pretty lilies and the views were really breathtaking. 
Views of the lily ponds at Bosherston.
A view through the trees.
Strolling around the lake.
We decided to walk around the lake, something I've never actually done before, and it was so peaceful. There were lots of people out making the most of the sunshine and we spent our time taking lots of photos. Then, halfway around, we stumbled across this amazing beach. It's literally on the edge of the lake and it was so pretty. It looked like something out of a film with bright sand contrasted against the sapphire sea. It's called Broadhaven South Beach and is the perfect location for relaxing with families - a hidden gem. 
The hidden beach we discovered - Broad Haven South.
The shoreline at Broadhaven South. 
We then walked the rest of the lake before getting back in the car and heading over to St. Govan's. These are cliff tops on the edge of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Park which have seriously breathtaking views. I've been here so many times with my grandparents and absolutely love visiting. There is even the teeniest chapel built into the cliffside, which was built and lived in by St. Govan in the fourteenth century. It's amazing the little wonders you can find when you go exploring!

The view from St. Govan's cliff tops.
The chapel tucked away in the cliffside.
After eating some ice cream on the clifftops overlooking the beautiful views, we got back into the car and headed to Stackpole Quay. There are cute little tea rooms and a harbour with stunning views, but we headed over the clifftops to somewhere that Dan and I hadn't visited before. 

Beautiful Barafundle Bay.
Barafundle Bay is a remote beach which is only accessible via clifftop. It's amazing how many beautiful, idyllic beaches there are in Pembrokeshire - they really are so magical. Many people who live in Carmarthenshire and surrounding areas rave about Barafundle Bay, so I was excited to visit it, and when we got there I could really see why people loved it so much. The Bay is small and it literally feels like you're in another country. You have to walk down a steep set of stairs to get onto the shore, but the views from the clifftop are breathtakingly beautiful. 
Barafundle Bay - like something out of a film!
After a busy day we made the journey home. It was such a lovely day and I really love spending time with Dan and seeing what beautiful places we can find. We always manage to find something new when we go exploring and I treasure the days we have together. : )

Any of you bloggers who are looking for somewhere pretty to visit I can't recommend Pembrokeshire enough! There are so many pretty, unique places and it really is a photographer's dream!

What's your favourite thing to do on a sunny Sunday?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

40 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Jessie! I'm from England but I think Wales is my favourite place - it holds happy childhood holiday memories for me too :) These look such beautiful places - definitely going on my to-visit list!!
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Rebecca :) it's such a gorgeous country isn't it!? xx

      Delete
  2. I never knew how beautiful Wales is! Those pictures you have taken are absolutely stunning. Sounds like a wonderful day :) xx

    Jesstastics.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess, it really is gorgeous! : ) xx

      Delete
  3. Ah, it looks so beautiful! This is definitely on our days out list!

    Tamsyn-Elizabeth | Peaches and Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only visited Wales once and it was in the pouring rain, I definitely remember how beautiful the views were though. These pictures are stunning and that beach that you found whilst walking around the lake is beautiful!x

    Amanda / Amanda's Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's the downside to Wales - it's always raining!! Thank you Amanda :) xx

      Delete
  5. These pictures are absolutely beautiful. It sound like you had a lovely day :) x

    Jordan Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds like you had a lovely day! - gorgeous photo's!
    Rachel Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, it was a fab day xx

      Delete
  7. You always have the dreamiest lifestyle posts lovely. Me and the boyf are heading away soon so I'll have to head back here for all your recommendations :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Elle :) Yes if you're after a weekend away come to Wales! xx

      Delete
  8. Such stunning photos! You must've had SUCH a lovely time. <3

    May x • THE MAYDENbloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun! It was a lovely day :) xx

      Delete
  9. these pictures are so pretty! currently I love just being in the sun, whether it's going for ice cream or just being in the garden! :) xx

    Floralchaos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Ahh same here, the sun makes the world of difference. xx

      Delete
  10. I've been to Wales once, and it was a fantastic experience for me (even if I was only 11 haha). Lovely photographs! x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww it's such a lush place! Thank you : ) xx

      Delete
  11. I just found your lovely blog :) Wow these photos are breath-taking! The seaside is so calming x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm so glad you like my blog! And yes I have to agree, xx

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pics, those blue skies look amazing! xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you live in such a beautiful part of the world! I can't believe this is part of the UK, it looks like it should be in Italy or Portugal or something xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I know! It really is like a different country - so beautiful : ) xx

      Delete
  14. OH MY WORD! These places look absolutely AMAZING! I think I need to book us a long weekend in Wales! I really should think about places like this more often. Being in Yorkshire you tend to stay round here or head to the Lake District if you have a weekend break so this is a great insight and incentive to go somewhere different.
    On another note, your outfit is super cute too!
    Bee xxx
    QueenBeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm sure you would absolutely love it :) it's so pretty and peaceful here. I would love to visit the Lake District some day too! Aw thank you hun xx

      Delete
  15. seriously beautiful photos! I lived in Wale for a few months one summer and I definitely didn't explore it enough I don't think

    Charlotte Harvs | Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh it's so lush! It's hard to get the right weather for exploring though haha xx

      Delete
  16. This looks so beautiful!! I'll have to drag the other half here sometime. Love how peaceful the lakes look. Great photos!

    M xx

    The CSI Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have a day trip here - it's so pretty! : ) xx

      Delete
  17. Wow these photos are beautiful! I've not been to wales in a long time but I had seriously forgotten how beautiful it is! Noted down these place names ready for some summer exploring!xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Pembrokeshire! It sounds like you had an ideal summer's day down there.

    I have been meaning to visit Barafundle Bay for a while - it looks very mediterranean-like.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS