Thursday, 13 August 2015

Review | Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge*.

I have a confession to make. When it comes to beauty tools and brushes I am the worst blogger on the planet. I'm forever neglecting my outdated brush collection, and the time between brush washes tends to drag out far longer than is necessary, but there is one product I cannot live without and that's the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge*, which I received from Beauty Product Testing.

The RT Miracle Complexion Sponge is a small egg-shaped sponge which works as three makeup brushes in one. Created by beauty gurus Nic and Sam from Pixiwoo, it is built in a specific way to allow you to apply liquid foundation effortlessly to achieve a picture perfect base. It has a round-sided edge which is great for applying foundation onto the cheeks, a flat edge for use under the eyes, chin and forehead, and a tiny precision tip which can be used to apply concealer and to really get product onto those hard to reach areas, such as around the nose. I had read a lot of reviews about this beauty tool, and was really excited to give it a try.

I like to apply product directly onto the sponge and using the rounder section, I buff the foundation all over my face using downward motions to follow the flow of the skin. It's quite easy to use and the foundation spreads easily and evenly which is what I really love about it. You can see exactly where you're applying product and the sponge does a great job of covering your face evenly and naturally.

Next, I use the flat edge to apply extra product onto areas that need it and to ensure the base is completely even. Here I don't sweep the product along the face, but rather use dabbing motions on precise areas that need overage and this gives a really fab finish. I find with some brushes you can see "brush stroke" marks on the skin after applying foundation, but dabbing the product onto the skin allows the foundation to sink into the skin and to really set nicely.

Then, I use the pointed precision tip to apply concealer onto blemishes and along the eyes and around the nose. This is great as you can get exactly to the point and don't end up having lots of product spread all around your face. I also use the flat edge to contour and highlight using lighter concealer and darker foundation shades under the eyes and along the cheek bones and temples. I then use the tip to contour around the nose and blend altogether with the rounded edge. It really does everything you need to apply your liquid base!

My favourite thing about the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge is just how natural the finish is - it really does give a miracle complexion and I find that my makeup looks so much more even and glowing when using it. By using different techniques such as dabbing and swiping you can achieve a really gorgeous finish, which can be quite difficult to achieve when using lots of different brushes. Also, as it's a 3 in 1 tool and allows you to apply a variety of different products onto the face, it's a lot quicker and requires less fuss and effort to create that flawless base. I think this is a great tool to take on holiday as you can apply a variety of products in one go!

It's also fuss-free in terms of product mess. Some of the product will be absorbed into the sponge to allow for accurate blending, but this does mean that there is a teeny bit of product wastage as it seeps into the sponge and not onto your skin. When cleaning I do find that a lot of product seeps out of the sponge, which means that you may need to use more in order to get the coverage you need. However, that is the only downfall for me, and overall I'm really impressed with it.

I've never really been one to fall for the blogger merchandise hype. I've not tried anything from Zoella's beauty range, and haven't read any of the "big" blogging books, but I feel like Real Techniques is a brand in a league of its own, and one that really competes with the respected beauty brands. If you haven't tried it already, I would really suggest you give it a go. It's really just fabulous. 

Have you tried the Miracle Complexion Sponge?
What are your favourite RT products?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

23 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try the beauty blender for ages but I'm yet to cave, might try this one first and see what I think! Seems so old school to use a sponge for makeup! I completely agree about blogger merchandise, the real techniques brushes are actually a worth while launch! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good - I'm sure you will be impressed with it! : ) They definitely are xx

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that Real Techniques is in a league of its own. I would say however, they are set aside from other bloggers/vloggers as they have a MUA background and years of experience. I've been considering picking this up now for a while... Maybe now is the time!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true! I like that they put their experience into practice and make fabulous products for us all. Let me know if you try it! : ) xx

      Delete
  3. I have never used a beauty blender before as have always been attached to my brushes but I think I may go out and give this one a try :) Thank you for a great review lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it! :) Thank you for reading - I'm glad you enjoyed it! xx

      Delete
  4. I've got a beauty blender but i'm curious about this one too! Nice post :) x

    Katina | www.katinalindaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! Thanks Katina : ) xx

      Delete
  5. I've been dying to try this! It sounds really good and really easy to use! I thought it would be hard and fussy to use but it sounds easy enough. Great review! I love your photos x

    clionahill.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to use - you literally just wipe it on your face haha! Thank you so much : ) xx

      Delete
  6. Great post Jessie, I bought this sponge in a recent haul but I'm yet to try it. Can't wait to try it now :) xx

    francesca-jayne.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading lovely : ) let me know how you get on with it! xx

      Delete
  7. i love this sponge!!! such an affordable one too!!


    This Girl Loves Chic

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it is such a good price : ) xx

      Delete
  8. I've never tried this sponge either, although I've wanted to for the longest time, I just never seem to pick up it. Such a bad beauty blogger. I agree with Real Techniques being in a league of their own in terms of blogger/vlogger merchandise. My whole brush collection is pretty much RT based. My favourite, the expert face brush has just died an untimely death though. I might, just might replace it with a Zoeva one though, I've been eager to try those out for a while.

    Barbie Sparkles | Beauty, +SizeFashion and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brush collection is made up of Real Techniques too - although I would like to try some other brands like Zoeva and Crownbrush. xx

      Delete
  9. I have this and really like it! I've not tried the Beauty Blender so I guess I can't compare but for a fraction of the price I'd say the RT sponge is brilliant!

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, but I would love to give it a try to see which works best! xx

      Delete
  10. Can you believe I still haven't tried a makeup blender/sponge like this yet?! I really need to sort that out!

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treat yourself to this one! You won't be disappointed : ) xx

      Delete
  11. This is my swear by application product! I do change between RT and Beauty blender but I couldn't imagine using a brush to apply my foundation now! xo

    Beth @ Polished Couture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I love it! I haven't tried the Beauty Blender so can't compare, but would love to try! xx

      Delete
  12. I really loved this sponge, it applies my liquid foundation so well, but when I tried the Beauty Blender - I haven't gone back since. I don't know what makes the BB so much different, as I would've though a sponge is a sponge, but apparently not! I wouldn't go back to doing my liquid foundation with a brush now, these makeup sponges are definitely the way to go! Great post as always Jessie x

    emily x ❤ | emilyloula

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS