Sunday, 9 August 2015

Top Tips for Getting Your Blog Organised.

I am an organisation freak. I have a place for everything and everything is in its place. I have two diaries and write to-do lists to ensure everything gets done. I even start rewriting uni notes if they are not neat and tidy enough - so why is my blog so unorganised?! For me, blogging is only a hobby. It's something I love doing and something I actually really look forward to doing, but it can get quite difficult to find a time to slot it in my crazy schedule as I work part time, study full time and have other commitments to uphold such as working out and having a social life. Often I find I have post ideas up to my ears, products to review and photographs to take with no idea where to start so last month I decided it was time to make a change and to get my blog life in shape.

I bought myself (another) diary and a pretty new notebook and sat down for the evening writing up different blog ideas and planning a schedule. I've tried my best to stick to this and now dedicate a morning or two each week to blogging, whether it's planning post ideas or actually drafting them up, and already my blogging life is so much easier. For today's post I thought I would share with you some tips I have found which help. I'm in no way an expert at this sort of thing, and my blog often has to take the backseat when my crazy life takes hold, but I've found that blogging is even more enjoyable now I know what I'm doing and when. 

001. Buy a diary
Simple, yet so effective. Since buying a diary a few weeks ago my blog has become so much more organised and I find it a lot easier to remember everything I need to do in terms of reading, writing and photographing. I write out a to-do list each week of what needs to be done and by when and I then go ahead and add anything to it and tick things off as the week progresses. Whether it's an important e-mail I need to reply to, a post that needs writing, or even a photograph that needs taking, it's all written in my trusty diary and once it's there, there's no chance I'll forget!

002. Plan posts
In my diary I also like to dedicate posts for each day. I like to post 3-4 times a week so write down when each post should be scheduled and I have colour coded for beauty, fashion and lifestyle to ensure my blog covers a range of topics (told you I was an organisation freak!). I find writing these down is super helpful if you're busy that week and don't have much time to blog. You can see what is happening and when, and it also helps when creating to-do lists and scheduling as you know what needs to be done.

003. Keep a note of blog ideas 
Whether it's in your phone, in a notepad or even by just typing out the title in your drafts, keeping a note of every post idea (even if it is a little crazy) is so beneficial. I often find myself struggling over what to write, especially when I'm super busy or my make up has all been reviewed, so writing these down is ideal because it always helps to reduce the dreaded Bloggers' Block. I have a little notepad now I use just to brainstorm and list blog ideas and when they are decided upon I write them in my drafts on Blogger so I can go back to them when I'm thinking of what to write. There I can go and plan them properly and add them into my diary!

004. Schedule tweets and posts
You've got your posts written up and photographs taken thanks to your to-do lists, and you've got a day planned for when you want each post to go live, now all you need to do is schedule them. What did I do with my life before I discovered scheduling posts and tweets? Seriously, it's so convenient you can have posts written up and ready to go for weeks, even months, in advance! (Although, I'm not that organised yet!) This means they will appear on your blog without you having to even do anything, and scheduling tweets is great for promoting when you have no time to do so. I like to use Buffer (an app for iPhones and Android), but there are a number of scheduling options out there. I am super busy and don't have lots of time on my hands to spend on Twitter, so scheduling tweets with links to your blog post ensures that you're still spreading your blog's message to your readers.

005. Dedicate certain hours each week for blog planning/admin
This has helped me so much over the past few weeks, and I've come to really enjoy it. I dedicate a few hours on a morning that I'm free to do all blog related things - whether it's replying to emails, or photographing products, or typing up some drafts - and it has really helped a lot. Obviously a few hours in one morning isn't always enough, especially as I like to post about four times a week, but setting aside that time to get the more mundane blog jobs done is really beneficial as it means I am free to then go ahead and write on other days. I also like to use my Saturday and Sunday mornings to comment on other people's blogs. I do usually have time most evenings to scroll through my blog roll but commenting on those weekend mornings always helps inspire new posts!

006. Photograph in bulk 
Finally, photography. I'm one of these bloggers who has all the words but not enough images, and I am forever feeling ready to post something but have no photos to accompany my writing! This is where photographing in bulk comes in. I usually photograph enough photos for the next two-three weeks in one sitting, which can be boring and can take hours, but then I have enough ready to fill up any gaps in my blog planner. I do have some photos that I will take as part of my daily life, such as for lifestyle and fashion posts, but making time to photograph beauty products is always helpful. Plus, when photographing in bulk you get to experiment with different flat lays too! 

These are just a few of the little tips I have found help me get my blog on track in the last few weeks. Yes, it is a little crazy, but I never let blogging take over or get to that point where I feel I have to do it. It is a hobby for me after all, and I know when I start back university in September it will be difficult to keep everything on track, but I believe keeping organised will help, and I hope these tips help and inspire you in some way!

How do you keep your blog organised?
Any tips to add to the list?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo
Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

35 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! Super helpful for me heading back to uni soon

    x
    www.siobhanrothwell.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always trying to make my blog more organised, so thank you for these tips! I actually am the same as you, I'm super organised usually and I ALWAYS rewrite my notes to make them neater haha! It's hard to apply the same organisation skills to your blog if it's a hobby, but it's something I'm definitely working on. Plus, this post has given me an excuse to go to Paperchase and buy a diary!

    Sian xx Cakey Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome - thanks for reading! : ) They have such amazing diaries in Paperchase - my favourite place haha! xx

      Delete
  3. This is a super helpful, comprehensive post! I only started my blog in July and already I'm worried about how to keep it going while at uni, so thank you for your advice! :) x

    chloejanex.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe, so glad you like it! : ) It is a bit hectic but as long as you plan ahead you will be fine! And I always made sure uni came first xx

      Delete
  4. This was a super helpful post! I do most of things you do now, so hopefully I am super organised! x

    http://theperksofmeg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant tips! I have a page on my laptop dedicated to blog ideas and keep going back to it when I have a new post to write. I bought myself a blogging planner and never used it and now it's out of date and I'm so upset!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! : ) Ohh nooo - that's a shame! You'll have to buy yourself a new one hehe xx

      Delete
  6. This is a fabulous post! I love that you're such an organisation freak. I have to be as detailed with my organisation or I just don't get anything done, but I haven't managed to get everything set up for my blog yet. I'm taking a bit of a break over the summer to get myself sorted and then I hope to be using a new schedule from September. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Stacey! : ) So happy you liked it! I think sometimes a little break is much needed. xx

      Delete
    2. This was so helpful, I'm off to start my new bogging diary now :)
      Nixie xx

      Nixie--Pixie | Fashion | Beauty | Lifestyle |

      Delete
    3. Thank you for reading, Nixie : ) xx

      Delete
  7. Great tips I'm trying to photograph in bulk more as it's super handy to have pictures to use whenever you want

    thriftylilpixie.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the perfect post after tonight's lblogger chat! I'm definitely going to photograph in bulk from now on. That seems to be the trickiest part of organising blog posts so if I can get them sorted I'll be able to write up the posts on the go.

    ox Lucy | theonewithlucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I know!! I timed it perfectly haha. Thank you for reading : ) xx

      Delete
  9. This post is so useful; I'm slowly becoming more organised with blogging but I still have a way to go!

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! I'm the same don't worry! xx

      Delete
  10. I really need to get my shit together about blogging ! Precious tips !

    www.caetera-moda.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post, like you I'm an organisation freak, so I will definitely be taking some of your tips on board! Abi | RamblingsofaBlonde

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tips are super helpful! Even though blogging is a hobby for me, I tend to stress myself out over all the things I need to do. I think the most important thing for me is just doing a little bit everyday. Doing everything all at once can seem very intimidating!
    untitled&unfinished

    ReplyDelete
  13. As strange as this is, I was the exact same with my notes throughout school... I love everything being neat, but I'm horrible at organizing my blog posts. I'll definitely be putting these tips to good use x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad Im not the only one! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  14. This is a great post so so helpful! I feel really motivated to carry out all these tips now :) Definitely be carrying these out with the blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab post Jess! I will definitely be referring back to this post in the future! xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES to all of these tips, scheduling tweets and blog posts has saved ma life, so much easier now and I feel a lot more organised! Your blog is so FAB atm I love it!!!!!

    Jasmine | jasminehardingmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. this was a lovely detailed post! I plan to get myself a diary for the new year as I think that will keep me on track. Love the idea of colour co-ordingating your posts swell, keeps a nice balance xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some great tips here definitely agree with all of these - scheduling is a lifesaver!
    Michelle x
    PS I have a giveaway over on michellegleaves.com at the mo

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS