Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Santorini Holiday Diary | Part I - Kamari and Fira

If there is any country that I would love to live in, other than Wales, it would have to be Greece. I love the culture, the food, the people and the glorious weather and beautiful beaches. It really is the most perfect place for a week of relaxation, so I was super excited to head to Santorini with my mum last month for a week of pure bliss. Santorini is a Greek island I hadn't yet visited, but I had seen so many beautiful, stunning photographs and had followed many bloggers' travels there, so I convinced my mum that we had to go, and boy am I glad that I made the decision. I have never been to a more beautiful, idyllic place in my life.
The stunning Santorini sunset.
Santorini is seriously stunning. It is a Greek island which is built upon a volcanic caldera and consists of high cliff top towns and villages over looking the Aegean sea, as well as gorgeous beaches and sunset views. We stayed in Kamari, which is a black sand beach village on the South Eastern part of the island, in a cute apartment complex right on the sea front called Arion Bay. The hotel was gorgeous. It was so simple and so traditionally Greek, with white washed buildings, blue doors and bright pink flowers. 
The stunning poolside at Arion Bay Hotel.
One part of Arion Bay Hotel - so peaceful and pretty.
We began most of our days with a run along the sea front. Kamari has a beautiful, black pebble beach and glorious views with restaurants and bars built along the promenade overlooking the sea. We would run along there and it was really quite refreshing to be up before the rest of the village and to see how gorgeous the place is with nobody else around.
Literally across the road from the pool. Absolutely beautiful.
Peaceful Kamari in the morning - it was so busy in the evening!
On the black sand beach.
Kamari in the day time.
Our morning runs were followed with a delicious breakfast at the poolside before a day of relaxation and getting dressed up to go out for some gorgeous food and drinks in the evenings. It was so nice to completely relax and spend some quality time with my mam before I head back to university in September. 
Delicious breakfast overlooking the poolside.
Dressed up for the evening.
Just one of the yummy meals we had out in Kamari.
Kamari was absolutely beautiful. There were lots of cute shops and delicious restaurants and bars to visit, but one place I knew I had to visit whilst in Santorini was Fira. This is seen to be the "capital" of the island and is essentially a cliff top town which provides the perfect view of those beautiful sunsets that Santorini is famous for. We hopped on a bus there one evening, and made it just in time to see the exquisite sunsets whilst stood overlooking the white wash buildings and turquoise sea.
Breathtaking views.
The beautiful sunset - how stunning is that?!
With Mam watching the sunset.

The white wash buildings of Fira.
It was amazing to see how all of the little white buildings were carved into the side of the cliff. Such amazing architecture and so traditionally beautiful. 
Stunning views of the Aegean sea.
This photo shows the beautiful cliff top villages of Santorini. 
We explored the little streets of Fira with their quaint gift shops and winding alleyways; we saw the donkeys harbouring up and down the mountainside; and we ate at a gorgeous restaurant with a panoramic view of the sunset. The food was stunning and the view was even better. For anyone thinking of visiting Santorini, if you're looking for a fabulous meal in Fira I would definitely recommend Niki Restaurant. It was delicious. 
Mammy looking lovely as we wait for our dinner.
Out for food in Fira
Delicious spaghetti bolognese for me.

Mam tried some Greek souvlaki with oven potatoes - it was gorgeous (I tried some hehe).
I honestly have never been to a more beautiful place in my entire life. I felt so blessed to be there and will definitely be returning one day to witness that sunset another time. It was nice to visit a country which wasn't awash with tacky souvenir shops and English karaoke bars, and one that prided itself in being traditional, Greek and proud.
Beautiful views through the window.
This was how the first part of our week went. Relaxing days spent by the pool, with superb Greek food and the opportunity to witness the world's most beautiful sunset in the evening. It's safe to say that the week went off to a fabulous start, and we still had Perissa to visit and a boat trip and Santorini's Volcano Festival to attend! Check back on Thursday to read all about the rest of my time in one of the most beautiful places on earth. 

Have you been to Santorini?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

40 comments:

  1. This post really makes me want to go to Santorini! It looks absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait until Thursday's post. xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Eve! :) You should definitely go if you get the chance. xx

      Delete
  2. SO BEAUTIFUL. I have such a thing for beautiful sunsets that you've entirely sold Santorini to me on those photos alone haha. It looks absolutely stunning Jessie! So glad you got to have a nice holiday with your mum. It's such a nice idea! :) xxx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! I'm obsessed with sunsets : ) Awh thank you Katy, you definitely need to go to Santorini! xx

      Delete
  3. wow! I am so envy! its my dream to go there! just by looking the photos it is so beautiful and breathtaking! thanks for sharing this. we actually have little santorinin here in the Philippines, for the mean time I was planning to go there :D

    keep in touch!
    http://chasingculprit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go if you get the chance : ) It's beautiful. Thank you for reading! xx

      Delete
  4. How lovely! And such cute photos with you mum!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos :) Kiss from France, Sand.
    .
    FRENCHIE GOES BACK TO SCHOOL on my FRENCH blog:
    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a wonderful time. It's such a beautiful place. This post has got me all excited for my holiday in October to Kos!

    Emily x
    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I bet you can't wait! I've never been to Kos but I bet it's gorgeous :) can't wait to read all about it! xx

      Delete
  7. These photos are magnificent. It looks like you have the time of your life! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more posts.

    Diane

    www.petiteinparis.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane : ) it really was amazing! xx

      Delete
  8. These photos are beautiful, you look like you had so much fun! xx
    pinksmartiesblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - these photos are absolutely gorgeous! My family is from Greece so we always go there for holidays but I haven't been to Santorini yet! It looks absolutely stunning and the sunsets - ahhhhh so dreamy!

    You look stunning as does your mum! Gorgeous photos and looks like you had such an amazing, relaxing time! That's what holidays are all about! :)

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's amazing! I would love to have Greek family and to visit them on holidays! Where do you visit? :) I know, it's so beautiful there. Thank you hun for such a lovely comment <33 xx

      Delete
  10. I so wish I was back there! It's just amazing

    x
    www.siobhanrothwell.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh isn't it just? I wish I was still there too - let's go back?! xx

      Delete
  11. I already really want to go to Santorini but this post is making me want to go even more! I love your photos - the scenery looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should book yourself a little trip away, it's so beautiful! Thank you Serena : ) xx

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. You and your mom look super cute.

    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Santorini looks beautiful hun, definitely want to visit after reading your post! I love the architecture also I just think it looks so different to anything else, and the views are to die for!

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Charlee, it's so beautiful! You should go on your honey moon ;) Yeah it's so cool and so pretty! Definitely go if you get the chance xx

      Delete
  14. I would love to visit Santorini, it looks beautiful! Glad you had a nice time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! Definitely go if you get the chance! xx

      Delete
  15. Santorini looks SO beautiful - and sounds like you had an amazing time :) Definitely one to add to my travel bucket list!

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so stunning - I would definitely go if you get the chance. xx

      Delete
  16. I've never been to Greece but it looks beautiful and the food looks amazing! Lovely photos!

    Roxie x
    The Beautiful Bluebird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Greece, it's really beautiful : ) xx

      Delete
  17. Everything there looks beautiful~! I I've never been to Greece, but because you had such a nice time, I want to go <33

    alluringalyssbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Greece is my favourite country - it's stunning xx

      Delete
  18. Absolutely stunning photos! Would love to go one day... :)
    Leah x


    http://leahclarkie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks absolutely beautiful! Glad you had fun :)

    www.thatpalegir.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't get over how gorgeous this place is, it's beautiful. I'd love to visit one day

    Lillies and Lipbalm
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not even joking, I didn't even finish reading the first sentence before I started looking at the price of going away to Santorini next year. Greece is somewhere my boyfriend loves and would love to holiday. This year we're going to Paris (my choice) and I feel so guilty for this and after these photos I know this is something we'd both love!!
    Going to catch up on your other post and I'm excited to see more!!

    Sarah xo || See The Stars

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS