Monday, 28 September 2015

September 2015 | Summer Ends and My Masters Begins.

Another month has flown by and boy has it been an exciting one. We're now officially in Autumn and the countdown to party season and Christmas has already begun (yep, I really did see a Christmas tree display in John Lewis). While September means the end of the year is near for many people, for me it always means new beginnings and this year was no exception as I started my Masters in Magazine Journalism at Cardiff University. I've only completed a week of inductions so far, and it looks like the year will intense but very exciting. I'm really looking forward to getting started properly at lectures today! See what I got up to in the lead up to the move back to Cardiff...

1. Spending time with friends and family. 
As the summer came to a close I made sure I spent plenty of time with friends and family (and Dan, of course) before heading back to Cardiff. Dan and I went to a few of my favourite beaches and places in Wales to get my fix of the countryside before moving back to the city, and I went out for food and drinks with my friends on two different occasions which was lovely. It was really nice to get dressed up and to spend time with the girls as I probably won't see most of them properly until Christmas time now. I also had days out with my mum and grandparents which was really lovely. Nothing beats family time.

2. Autumn begins. 
I really do love this time of year. The changing seasons are my favourite and I love seeing the leaves falling off of the trees in a swirl of colours, and the nights drawing in. I really do think that this is the most beautiful time of year, and it's actually been quite nice and sunny in the past week or so which means that walks in the crisp Autumn air and taking lots of photos are essential.

3. Moving back to Cardiff for my fourth year. 
I was pretty nervous about moving back to Cardiff this year, as a lot of my friends have left Cardiff after university, I would be living with three people whom I've only met once or twice and I was worried that there would be a big step up from my undergraduate degree to a masters. While there is a big step up and I will have a huge workload, it's all so exciting. My induction week was a whirlwind but there are so many new people to meet and so many exciting and amazing opportunities and tasks coming up that I'm feeling really motivated to get started! It's also been lovely living with three new girls. We've all got on so well and I feel like these girls have exactly the same mindset as me which is ideal. I'm really looking forward to the year ahead!

4. Rugby World Cup Fever. 
You can't live in Wales and not get caught up in the excitement of the Rugby World Cup - and living in Cardiff, even more so! The atmosphere on game days has been electric with everyone donning their red shirts and scarves to support the Welsh rugby team. A particular highlight of the month was watching the Wales vs. England match at a Cardiff pub with the whole crowd going crazy as the final whistle blew and Wales pipped England to the post with a 28-25 win. I think sporting events are great and really bring everyone together - even though I have no idea what's going on on the rugby pitch half of the time.

5. Completing Cardiff's Men's Health Survival of the Fittest. 
I'm actually in a lot of pain writing this post as yesterday I completed Men's Health Survival of the Fittest in Cardiff Bay. Twelve kilometres of running and fifty obstacles to cross - including monkey bars, travelators, white water rapids, hills and lots of climbing - means that today I am feeling the effects. Bruised legs, swollen knees, a massive bruise along my bum and my back and shoulders are in bits; it's safe to say it really was a challenge, but I completed it along with my friend in 1 hour and forty minutes and we came in the top quarter of 4,000 runners, so I'm really pleased. I probably wouldn't put myself through it again as it was really tough, and I just don't think I'm built for climbing and wading through rapids, but the feeling of finishing was ecstatic and I'm really proud of myself having done it! 

What did you get up to in September? 
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

19 comments:

  1. Good luck with your masters!!

    x
    www.SiobhanRothwell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best! Lovely post too :-)
    http://juanamaua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh sounds so exciting! Congratulations on your challenge and autumn is a gorgeous time of year! Loving your blog :D xx

    elizabeth | ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | bloglovin follow for follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! :) that means a lot - I love yours too! xx

      Delete
  4. I really love Autumn also, aww I’m glad you are getting on well with the girls you’re living with for uni :) Congrats on the survival of the fittest :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlee : ) Autumn is the best! xx

      Delete
  5. I was actually really happy that Wales won! But glad to see that you're settling in fine back in Cardiff! All the best for your masters :) x

    Sofea
    www.thesofeablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the survival of the fittest...no way I'd ever manage that!! And good luck with your Masters this year. Reading your post as had me realise I should look into what I can do with my career path..It's been a year since I finished university & I think it's time to find something to do with it!
    I'm also excited to see where your life goes throughout this year & your journey...so I hope to read more of your posts like this one!!

    Sarah xo | See The Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! It was horrible but so glad I did it haha. Thanks so much : ) you'll be fine.. Let me know what you decide to do! It's all very exciting :D thanks lovely - there will be a lot more posts I'm sure! xx

      Delete
  7. All the best with your masters, dear♥♥

    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it mean of me to giggle a little bit at you writing in pain? Hahaha, go you, though! 12km -- that's insane! Good luck with your masters, Jessie!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May haha - I'm better now thankfully! xx

      Delete
  9. So with you on the Autumn loving, it's by far my favourite season! Congrats on the men's health challenge too lovely, that's incredible!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle : ) so glad I did it but so glad it's over haha! xx

      Delete
  10. Good luck with your masters lovely - I'm glad you're getting on well with your new housemates :) so exciting! And congrats on the survival of the fittest, that's amazing! I can't even do monkey bars in children's parks so I'm very impressed ;)

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS