Saturday, 10 October 2015

Lifestyle | A Tour Around My Uni Room and the Must-Haves to Make it Homely.

Moving into your new student house or halls can be daunting. Sometimes you won't know who you're going to live with, and how they're going to live, so it's really important to make sure you have a homely getaway in the form of your bedroom. This needs to be a sanctuary for when things get tough, or when you just need time to yourself after a busy day (or a messy night!) and there are five essentials that you need to make your little grotto your own. For today's post I thought I would show you around my uni 
A through the mirror view of a part of my university room - lots of pink and lots of flowers!

1. Candles
I absolutely love scented candles - what blogger doesn't? - and these can really add a cosy feel to your room and can also ensure your room smells gorgeous. Let's be honest, university houses and halls can sometimes stink, especially if your housemates like to experiment with gourmet cooking dishes! A sweet-scented Yankee candle can help this and ensure your room smells fresh and clean. One word of warning though, you may not be allowed candles in your uni house or halls, so it's best to check with the contract/guidelines first just in case.

My cosy bed with pretty trinkets all around.
2. Bunting
A plain, magnolia university room can be instantly brightened up with a little bunting. Available in a range of colours, patterns and fabrics you can drape them around the room and instantly turn a uni room from drab to fab. I hung mine over my bed to add a little splash of colour to an otherwise plain wall.

Another favourite part of my room - flowers and fairy lights, complete with cosy lamps, trinkets and photographs.
3. Fairy lights and cosy lamps
I just love fairy lights and how cosy they make a room. They're perfect for a snuggly night in, particularly if you're getting an early night or if you are going to be working on assignments late into the night (and trust me, if you're in third year you will be!). The horrible, stark lighting that you find in student houses and halls need to be banned, but for now combat those problems with some cute lamps to make your room far more homely.

My desk area. I love my mirror and pretty flowers.
4. Photographs
Being away from friends and family can be difficult, so bring them all with you in the forms of photographs. I have so many dotted around my bedroom, and they remind me of fantastic memories and also add a little splash of colour to the room. You can get really pretty photo frames to either hang up or place on your desk and tables. My favourites are from Paperchase; they have pretty, floral frames that are so girly and perfect. You can also get huge collage photo frames (like the one in the photo above this one) from places like The Range and Matalan.
Lots of little trinkets to complete the room.
5. Little trinkets
Finally, add finishing touches with little trinkets. Whether it's cute little boxes which can be used for storage or flowers and hanging ornaments you can really complete the look with these. I bought this gorgeous bedside table in a yard sale in the summer when I went to visit my grandparents, and it cost just £25. I absolutely love it and I think it brings a really quirky feel to my already colourful room.

What are your essentials for a uni bedroom?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

54 comments:

  1. Your uni room is gorgeous! I wish mine had looked so nice. You have brilliant taste, it looks so homely xx

    Charlotte / Colours & Carousels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Charlotte! That's a lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty and girly! Hope you're enjoying life in you new home. I'm planning a new Uni room tour, you'll love it Jessie! xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Han, I'm loving it! Ooh let me know when it goes up so I can see :D xx

      Delete
  3. Oh your room look so cosy! Just the way I like it :) Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com

    Tamara xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Nothing better than cosiness : ) xx

      Delete
  4. You have so many cute items! I really love the floral bedside table! x
    Emma | Emmys Beauty Cave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bunting and personal touches! Look so cosy x

    Hannah | Oh January

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, it is SO cute. I love how much personality you put into your space. Plus all of those pictures everywhere are fantastic. I love pictures too. They always make me smile.
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! : ) me too - they're the best. xx

      Delete
  7. Ahh I love room tours! I am so nosey haha! This room is stunning! Can't believe its a uni room, it's so well put together! Definitely an inspiration for some other fellow students I know.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I'm very nosy haha! Thank you lovely. xx

      Delete
  8. I love the post! Have a wonderful weekend:)

    Www.theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your room is so cute. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty uni room! My best friends mum made me some really pretty bunting that I think makes a massive difference to a plain magnolia wall. Posters and little bits to hang on any picture hooks also help brighten up a dull space I think. x

    Megan | http://www.meganjean.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! : ) I agree that bunting makes a huge difference. I love wall hangers too! xx

      Delete
  11. Love the fairy lights and bunting, so pretty! xx
    Chasing Belle 23

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make your dorm room look so cozy! Mine just looks like a dorm room with some bedding.

    A Little Dose of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I think it makes a difference living in a student house and not halls. xx

      Delete
  13. I literally hated my uni rooms so much when I was a student I had to make them all cute and homely like this - bunting is number one! And cute bedding obvs!

    Robyn / www.phasesofrobyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been really lucky this year as I have a lovely big room, rather than the little holes I had the last three years haha. I defo agree hun xx

      Delete
  14. I really love how you've put your room together; the colours, the photos, the lamp, the bunting etc - it all looks so lovely! Hope uni is going well xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Eve! :) Uni is going really well thanks - I hope you're okay! xx

      Delete
  15. Your room is SO much nicer than mine ever was at uni! Love how feminine and cosy looking it is :)

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Claire - I bet yours was so cute too! xx

      Delete
  16. I love the bunting!

    Emily x
    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how bright and colourful your uni room is - has so much life to it! Also that mirror on your desk is gorgeous x

    vvnightingale.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I think it's from the Range or somewhere like that. xx

      Delete
  18. Oh you've done such a good job lovely, your room looks so cute and cozy! I actually never went away to uni but I would definitely drag all of my things along to make it as homely as possible!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's exactly what I did - three trips it took to get everything up here haha! xx

      Delete
  19. I have to confess that I've actually never tried a Yankee candle!! Lovely post, your room is so cute :)

    X Emma | www.missemmacharlotte.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Emma - this needs to change! Thank you lovely : ) xx

      Delete
  20. Oh how pretty! You did such a wonderful job with your room, what a great space to work in.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! I love buying homeware bits, especially when I was at uni to make it feel much more like home! You're got so many lovely pieces!

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely - I can't wait to have my own place to decorate the whole house! xx

      Delete
  22. Pretty details! Everything is so cosy and homely. I love your workspace and fresh flowers :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, I'm in love with that bedside table. Where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! I picked it up at a yard sale haha, so I think it's an original : ) xx

      Delete
  24. What a gorgeous little space :) I love a good bedroom tour (even it is uni based) x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rebecca hehe, thank you lovely! : ) xx

      Delete
  25. You have the most gorgeous student bedroom!? I'm the nosiest person ever & I'm in love with seeing peoples little spaces, I adore the colours in your room. (your colourful lamp & that mirror being my favourite)

    Sarah xo || See The Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Haha I'm really nosey - I love looking at other people's rooms hehe. xx

      Delete
  26. That lamp is gorgeous! I love how you've set your room out, it's nice having somewhere you can call your home away from home when you're at uni! x

    www.ellebloggs.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love absolutely your taste in decor in your home away from home!! I was a commuter student when I was a college student BUT I have visited some nice rooms in the dorm halls!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. you're room looks gorgeous! I love having candles and photos everywhere! Love your bedding. M xx

    The CSI Girls

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS