Thursday, 1 October 2015

Review | MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation.

For those of you who regularly read ATB-x, you'll know that my quest for finding the perfect foundation is never-ending. I'm constantly on the hunt for a foundation that does predominantly three things: (1) I want it to have flawless coverage. (2) I want a matte finish that lasts as my skin is quite oily, so if a foundation goes shiny throughout the day it's a no-no. (3) I want a foundation which doesn't break me out in spots. 

Thus far I was yet to find one and after much deliberation, and lots of advice from fellow beauty bloggers via the #bbloggers chat, the latest foundation to grace my makeup bag is MAC's Studio Fix Fluid. Offering a fuller, matte coverage, being oil free, and with claims of lasting power of up to eight hours, it was a foundation I was very much looking forward to trying out. 
Firstly, let's talk packaging. It comes in a sleek, ceramic pot with a secure black lid and is simple but sophisticated in pure MAC style. While I like the look of it - and it does look cute in these little pots - it is a pain as there is no way of getting out any product without either shoving your foundation brush through the top or pouring it out onto your hand. It can get a little messy and I'm sure it will be rather difficult to get the last drops of the product out when I'm coming to the end of it.

The product itself feels lovely on the skin. It is quite dewy and wet on first instance, but as you build product and blend it seems to sink into the skin to create a matte finish. I like to apply with a foundation brush and blend with a damp beauty blender to really achieve a flawless look; the foundation is really blendable too which is great as I hate streaky, patchy finishes and it looks like this is a thing of the past with MAC's Studio Fix Fluid. The product is also buildable, so you can create anything from a medium coverage to one that rivals that of Estee Lauder's Double Wear, yet it doesn't leave your face feeling heavy or clogged with makeup. In fact, your skin feels like it can still breathe, which is always a bonus in my book. I really love the matte finish and buildable coverage, but the question remained, does it last?

I'm pleased to say it does; in fact, it lasts pretty damn well. I apply my foundation early in the morning and have been wearing this for ten hours plus a day and it still looks great in the evening, and even after a sweaty gym session! I do set my foundation with a powder in the morning and sometimes touch ups are required - particularly on my T-zone which is prone to oiliness - but it still remains pretty much in tact throughout the day and I believe the oil-free components keep my face under control. It does slightly oxidise for me if I've had a particularly long and hectic day, but I have chosen a slightly lighter shade so this isn't too apparent and with a sweep of powder it seems to tone down also. However, in spite of this I'm really impressed with the staying power. It's not quite as matte-lasting as Double Wear, but it has a nicer, gentler consistency to give a more natural look.

One thing to be aware of is that you really need a good skincare routine and to thoroughly remove your makeup if you are going to be wearing Studio Fix Fluid on a daily basis. While the thickness of the product is less than renowned heavy, matte foundations, it is still thick, and especially if you're building up the coverage. Make sure you use make up removers and a cleanse, tone and moisturising regime to really clean the skin after wearing in order to avoid blemishes developing.

Altogether though, I'm really loving MAC Studio Fix Fluid foundation and I can see that it is one that I will continue to love for a very long time. I'm really impressed with the overall look of the foundation and with how exceptionally well it lasts; even more so by the £22 price tag which is a fraction of competitors on the market.

Have you tried it yet?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

9 comments:

  1. I don't like thick foundations for every day use, but this certainly sounds nice for more special occasions!

    Amelia Rose | Beauty and Lifestyle Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's lovely for special occasions! I've been using it daily but it is one that you really need to remove thoroughly xx

      Delete
  2. My experience with MAC face products is not the best, everything I've tried so far has been the wrong shade and has made me look cakey and shiny... to be fair, though, I must say that I think it is the store nearby which I always go to, the service there is really not very good. I think that's a general problem with MAC stores, from what I've heard... anyway, I'm still intrigued by MAC products, because they seem to work for most people, so I'm going to give another store a go and maybe it'll work out better :)


    Lisa x
    lisakristinx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is a shame. I received really good service in my local store and was given a pot to test for a few days as I was unsure on the shade. It's hard to tell when they colour match you in the artificial store light! Let me know how it goes : ) xx

      Delete
  3. I really want to try this! I really struggle finding the perfect foundation for me without making my bank account cry. As its Mac though I imagine this one is so good!

    Robyn xo
    www.phasesofrobyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this foundation for quite a few years and really love it! I find it's great for nights out as it has really good coverage and lasts through out the evening!

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! People love this foundation so I would love to try it for myself!

    Brunette-ish

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned struggling to get it out of the pot - pop back to your mac store as they sell mini pumps that screw on in place of the lid, so its easy to get a tiny blob without trashing your foundation brush - definitely worth it in my opinion!

    CB x
    www.theCBlifeblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love hate relationship with this foundation which is progress for me because with the exception of Face and Body I hate all MAC foundations with an absolute passion! The coverage and finish of this is amazing for a night out but I hate the smell and it can break me out but that's rare. I'd suggest you try Laura Mercier or Giorgio Armani next - they're pricey but they're so good xx

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS