Tuesday, 29 December 2015

2015... It's been a blast!

I can't believe it's time to be writing a post looking back on 2015. It feels like this year has passed by in the blink of an eye, but pulling together a collage of photos for the post has really made grateful for such an epic year. I truly have had the most amazing year yet. I've been on two brilliant holidays and visited and explored lots of new places, I've achieved things I never thought were possible and, as cliché as this sounds, I feel as though I've finally found who I am and what I want to do. So for today's post I thought I would reminisce before looking ahead to 2016!

Turning 21 and being happy

This year I turned the big 21 and that brought with it lots of celebrating with my closest friends, boyfriend and family. It may sound completely ridiculous but I feel like I really have grown this year and have become a lot more confident in myself. I've made huge lifestyle changes and have felt my fitness and health improve (even managing to complete Cardiff's Survival of the Fittest) and finally feel a lot more body confident. I've cut out negative energies from my life and have said "no" more. I used to get serious FOMO (fear of missing out) and would do anything and everything as I didn't want to let people down. This resulted in my feeling run down and becoming ill, so I've made sure to make plenty of time for myself this year, even if this means binge-watching PLL on Netflix instead of getting glammed up for a night out. I feel as though I've finally started to appreciate the little things in life that I love and have started to look at things in a more positive light.

Graduating with First Class Honours in Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies

Possibly the most amazing and memorable day of the year, my graduation really was spectacular. After really struggling in university at first and finding it difficult to be away from my small hometown in West Wales and my small, tight-knit family and boyfriend, it was the most amazing feeling to pop on my hat and gown and to graduate with a First-Class Honours degree in Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies. When I say that I worked my ass off to get a first-class, I'm not lying. For most of April and May this year I was holed up in my kitchen drafting and re-drafting (and re-drafting once more) my dissertation, but all the hard work paid off and I ended up getting a first in every module I completed this year. I don't think I've ever felt prouder and it just made me realise that I definitely made the right choice in my career path and that I'm truly going to enjoy being a journalist when the day finally comes!

Starting a masters course

Last April, amidst studying like crazy for my final assignments, I had an interview for a Masters in Journalism course at Cardiff University. I had wanted to study this course for about two years so to even get an interview meant so much; getting a place whilst being interviewed was even better! I started in September after graduating and am really loving it thus far. It's probably the most challenging thing I will have ever done on completion. We literally work for about 12 hours a day doing interviews, writing features, studying law, making magazines, learning Photoshop and InDesign, and we also have assignments to complete and lectures to attend on top of that but I'm learning so much and really enjoying the process. I've also met an amazing bunch of people on my course and am looking forward to the next nine months with them.

Travelling and exploring

Even though the majority of my year has been spent in university I still managed to squeeze in lots of travelling and exploring this year including two amazing holidays to Cyprus and Santorini. Dan and I stayed in the Tasia Maris in Ayia Napa for a week in June and had such an awesome week. We went exploring up and down the island, hiking in Cape Greco, speeding down the streets on segways and even visited the "ghost town" of Famagusta. The hotel we stayed in was gorgeous and I really fell in love with Cyprus and its people.

I headed to Santorini for a week in August with my mum and I have never been to a more beautiful destination in my life. My mum and I spent lots of time relaxing by the pool but also explored the beautiful cliff-top town of Santorini and went out on an evening boat trip around the island. When I think about Santorini I instantly get holiday blues and we have already planned to go there next summer. If anyone gets the chance then I urge you to go!

I also went for a weekend away in London with Dan, where we spent most of our time laughing and aimlessly wandering the streets and embracing what the city had to offer, and a few weeks ago I visited Bath for the first time and fell completely in love. In between these little get aways Dan and I have been all around Wales on our travels. Can you tell from the pictures we love a beach walk with a cracking Welsh sunset? They almost beat those in Santorini!

Blogging and writing

I have really loved blogging this year and finally hit my 1000 follower count on Bloglovin' back in June. It was such a fabulous feeling and to know that people are enjoying reading my blog enough to want to follow makes me so happy. I feel like blogging has really helped me further my journalism career and I've had the opportunity to work alongside some fabulous brands too! I never thought this little space on the internet would mean so much to me and afford me with such awesome opportunities. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to blog as much as I'd like in the last few weeks, so I'm hoping to change that in 2016!

All in all, it's been a fabulous year and I'm hoping that 2016 will live up to it. I'm so grateful for every little opportunity, for all I've achieved and for those who have helped me throughout the year. Admittedly I did get a little crazy and fall off the face of the year for the months where I was working on my dissertation and during my masters, but I've had the most amazing time and I am so so happy and content.

I really hope everyone reading this has had a wonderful 2015 and that your 2016 is even better!
Thank you for all your support, as always.
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

21 comments:

  1. Well done on all you've achieved this year Jess (personally, with your blog, academically and with your fitness/health)! I hope that 2016 will be a year filled with even more achievements and lots of happiness for you. P.s so glad you're getting into Pretty Little Liars - I love it and can't wait for it to be back in Jan. I'm now currently binge watching Once Upon a Time!! hehe :) See you in the new year! xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eve, what a lovely message! You had a fabulous year too with your amazing GCSE results and your Zumba-ing ;) I hope you have an amazing 2016! Ooh OUAT is next on my list! See you soon xxx

      Delete
  2. So happy you had a great year, I wish you the best in 2016! :)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! : ) I hope you have a fabulous 2016 too! xx

      Delete
  3. You started your masters? That's BRILLIANT! I never got to masters. I'm just glad I got my bachelors even though it hasn't been all that useful for me. I love looking back at the past year and seeing how much I've achieved. It always puts everything back into perspective doesn't it?

    Julie | http://www.xfallenmoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Julie! It's so much work but hopefully will be worth it in the end : ) I love looking back too - it's great to see how far you've come in just 1 year! I hope you have a wonderful 2016 xx

      Delete
  4. Your year has been amazing, well done on graduating and starting a masters! Your holidays sound incredible, I hope you have a great 2016 too :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! I hope 2016 is amazing for you! xx

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you've had an absolutely amazing 2015! Congratulations on all of your successes, which were clearly very well deserved by the sounds of it. I wish you the same in all of your endeavours next year, be they academic, blogging or anything at all.

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much hun! : ) that is such a lovely message. I hope you have an absolutely fabulous 2016! xx

      Delete
  6. It certainly sounds like a great year for you! I feel so much pride to know what you've achieved everything you have this year and I can't wait to see what you manage in 2016.
    ..I also hope that us meeting each other happens in the new year :)

    Sarah xo || See The Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you babe, thank you so much! And thanks for all your support throughout the year. I hope you have a fabulous 2016 too and let's start to arrange this meet up :D <333 xx

      Delete
  7. Ahh looks like you've had such a fab year, I'm hoping my 2016 looks similar to your 2015 as I turn 21 and graduate next year! Amazing that you graduated with first class honours, hope your 2016 is just as good xxx
    jodiemelissa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's going to be such an exciting year for you hun! : ) Thank you lovely, have a great 2016! xx

      Delete
  8. You've done so much this year, it sounds like you had an amazing time!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, it's been fab! Have a Happy New Year! : ) xx

      Delete
  9. Massive congrats on all your achievements Jessie! I turned 21 and graduated this year too & I totally know what you mean about feeling like you've grown (even though I still feel like I'm making everything up as I go along!!) That's also amazing that you reached 1000 followers as well as achieving all this! Good luck with your Masters!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Sinéad! I definitely still make things up as I go along too haha. Thank you hun and congrats to you on graduating and turning 21!! I hope you have a fab 2016 xx

      Delete
  10. Gosh sounds like you've done so much over the past year! Congrats on 1000 followers and I bet your follower count by the end of 2016 will dwarf it!

    Elesaurus | elesaurusrawr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww this is such a lovely post Jessie! You've achieved so much this year, it's incredible! Congrats on the first class degree and good luck with the masters. I'll be sure to follow how you're getting on with it. Abi | ramblingsofablonde.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it sounds like it's been an amaze year for you lovely! I hope 2016 is even more incredible xx

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS