Sunday, 10 January 2016

Fitness | Tips and Tricks to Get Lean in 2016.

For many January means a new year and a new start and I am one of those people. I think the dawn of a new year is the perfect opportunity to change things that you're not happy with and to look ahead with hopes of success and determination. For even more people it's the time to shake up your diet and exercise regime in the hope of getting that summer bod in time for your holiday, but for me I see getting in shape and getting fit as a complete lifestyle change, and I think it's really important you think of it that way too.

I'm very much looking forward to heading out for beach runs again this summer.

Getting healthy does not mean you're on a diet or you're exercising into oblivion, it's a complete overhaul of your life and means changing habits that you may have had for years. Believe me, I've been there. I  put on a lot of weight whilst in my first two years of university and was honestly very unhappy. I remember looking at photographs of myself and feeling so gutted at how much damage I had done to my body. Late nights of drinking shots at Revs, followed by hungover days stuffing my face with anything I could find had obviously done a lot more harm than good.

From there I started to make positive, healthy changes to my lifestyle such as swapping foods for healthier alternatives and using fitness as a way to motivate, inspire and de-stress. I'm in no way an expert but these are the tips and tricks I've used to get healthy and I will be using them again to get back in shape after over-indulging over the holidays. One thing I think is really important to remember is that it's not all about vanity and looking good. Living healthily makes you feel good too. It gives self-confidence, motivation and inspiration, and I think that's something we should all aspire to. So for today's post I thought I would share with you my tips and tricks to living healthy and getting lean in 2016:

1. Cut the crap

It really is that simple. Cutting junk food out of your diet can make such a huge difference to your body and the results are seriously quick too. I've eaten healthily for the past ten days and already my stomach is flatter and that horrid bloated feeling has vanished after overeating throughout the festive period. Junk food makes you feel sluggish, it's full of "empty" calories with virtually no nutritional value, it causes acne, high blood pressure and an array of health issues, and causes weight gain, of course. Stick to lots of fresh fruit and veggies with meat and complex carbs like brown rice, oatmeal and starchy vegetables, like sweet potatoes, to give you energy. After all, abs are made in the kitchen and no matter how often you work out if you're eating unhealthily you won't see a huge difference.

Here are three easy steps to cutting the crap out of your diet:
1. Don't buy it - if it's not in your cupboard/fridge then you're not going to eat it.
2. Plan your meals - don't grab something naughty whilst on your work break and take a healthy packed lunch instead. 
3. Keep a food diary - writing down each and every thing you eat each day will soon motivate you to keep it clean.

2. Find a workout you enjoy 

So, it's January. It's time to get fit and healthy. The gym membership has been bought, you have all the sports gear (but maybe no idea) and you're determined to get up at 5am to do a killer workout before work. Fast-forward to February and you're back in your pjs, bingewatching Netflix with a box of chocolates and a glass of wine for company. Let's be honest, going to the gym can be rather boring. This is why it's so important to find a workout or exercise regime that you enjoy.

Whether it's shaking your booty in a Zumba class, lifting weights in Body Pump, going running on the beach with your dog or rolling out a mat in your bedroom for some Pilat├ęs or Yoga stretching, find what works for you. I find that gym classes are really beneficial as they motivate you to keep going and, with the help of the instructor, you can utilise their expert advice and get a full body workout. Try to schedule at least three hours of workouts into your week that incorporate both cardio vascular exercises, such as running, walking, skipping or even dancing, and weight and core training to help you tone up.

Here are three easy steps to getting your butt moving: 
1. Join classes - working out with a group of people and an instructor helps you keep focused.
2. Schedule workouts into your life - I like to workout 5 times a week and choose on a Sunday what days I will workout and rest.
3. Walk instead of taking transport/the elevator - simple steps that can really go a long way.

3. Avoid alcohol

There's been a lot of talk in the UK press lately about the dangers of alcohol, with experts saying we should all cut down on the amount we drink. My family doesn't really drink if I'm honest, unless going out to a party or event, so I've never really understood the hype around getting home from work and having a large glass of red to relax you after a busy day, though I have had my fair share of drunken nights out whilst at university. But did you know just how many calories are in a glass of wine or a bottle of cider? Live Well by the NHS states that a pint of cider has around 215 calories, while a bottle of alcopop has 200 kcal. These empty calories go straight into your gut and with seven calories per gram in alcohol, you're drinking the calorific equivalent of almost a gram of full fat

What's more, the next day you'll be craving all things sugary to feed off the effects of the night before. Fatty foods and sugary snacks will be at the top of your hunger priorities; I mean, who wants to eat a salad on a hangover day? This post is not here to preach about why alcohol is bad, and I'm not trying to tell you to give up alcohol forever, but avoiding the stuff will really help you if you're looking to get lean in 2016! It's all about keeping everything in moderation, after all. If you want to see how much you're drinking, you can use the NHS' Drinks Checker here.

4. Get more sleep

Ahh.. Here's a little tip that we can all enjoy! It's so important to get enough sleep anyway, but if you're looking to shed a few pounds then it's essential. Late nights and early mornings can often leave us feeing sluggish and grouchy, but the benefits to getting more sleep stretch way beyond that! Did you know that getting your recommended 7-9 hours of sleep helps you to burn more calories the next day, even when you're resting? It also keeps your mind energised and focused to keep you on track with your diet and exercise regime, so snuggle up and go to bed extra early this evening.

Image Credit: InspireMeThin/Tumblr


5. Have a healthy mindset and focus on you

This reiterates what I said in the introduction to this post but I think having a healthy mindset is probably the most important part to getting yourself in shape, and it involves positive thinking and a little self-love. It's so easy to start obsessing over how you look and comparing yourself to fitness models and bloggers on Instagram, but you need to remember that you are doing this for yourself. You're making the conscious decision to change up your lifestyle and your body and mind will reap the rewards. If you're starting to feel as though your hard work isn't paying off, and that little gremlin of self-doubt is rearing its ugly head in your mind, then look back at how far you've come. Whether it's being able to run 5k when you could barely run two minute before, or if you've avoided eating sweet snacks for a week when you were so dependent on them previously, you're doing well and you can totally do it guuuurl! Keep going!!

***

I hope you all enjoyed reading this post and if you would like to see more fitness based posts, including exercise regimes and healthy foods then please let me know in the comments. Like I said previously, I'm no expert at all but I have been living this healthy lifestyle for the best part of a year and a half now and I have seen such a tremendous change in both my body and the way I think about exercising and food - it's like it's a part of me, it's become second nature. That's not to say I don't ever eat anything bad (I'm obsessed with chocolate fudge cake and pizza) but I try to limit it to special occasions and opt for healthier choices when possible.

I also want to say that if you're ever in need of a little confidence boost or want a chat then do not hesitate to get in touch via e-mail or on Twitter. I know a lot of blogging girls who are currently on a mission to live a healthier lifestyle and we're all in this together. What's more there's also a Fitness Chat (@fitbunnieschat) that takes place on Twitter every Sunday at 6pm GMT, which you can join to share advice and your own tips and tricks. I'll be joining in this evening for sure!

What are your top tips for getting in shape?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

56 comments:

  1. Awesome tips for the body and mindset!! I am eating grapefruit at breakfast and lunch to help breakdown what I eat (I don't remember the fancy science but it true!) detox tea and walking more!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ursula! Oh really? I haven't heard that but will look into it : ) thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. Everything you said here is so true! Great post :-)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please, I'd love to read more fitness/healthy posts from you!!
    This was really well written and full of really helpful tips that will cater to a range of different people.
    Personally, I need to cut down on the carbs (I'm saying this having just eaten a pizza) and try to squeeze in another hour of sleep (something that is easier said than done for me) hehe! Fab post! :)xxx

    Eve - Haia Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Eve : ) I'm really pleased you liked the post. I need to cut down on carbs a bit too, though I have for the past two weeks and feel so much better! xx

      Delete
  4. The sleep point is my favourite! Absolutely love the introduction to this Jessie! xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, thank you for sharing! I am currently working out every morning and I'm feeling so much better already. x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mira! : ) Great to hear you're feeling fab! xx

      Delete
  6. Fab post lovely, I have to agree I’m definitely trying to cut the junk food out this year and trying to aim for 10k steps a day :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Charlee! Ooh do you have a FitBit or Jawbone? I have a Jawbone and love using it to see how far I'm walking xx

      Delete
  7. Such a great and honest post. I hope that you achieve all you want this year and your positive and healthy mentality remain with you. xx

    http://jessie-lou3.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessie : ) (great name by the way haha!) What a lovely message - I hope you do too xx

      Delete
  8. Ah great post lovely, it must have taken you ages! I really need to get more sleep - it's my biggest downfall xx

    Gemma | www.missmakeupmagpie.com ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gem, it did take a while haha :) Ooh I think it's the thing I do best out of all these tips haha - love my sleep! xx

      Delete
  9. Loved this! I really want to lose weight and tone up this year, I'm bridesmaid in May and trying to use that as motivation! I got a FitBit for Christmas and love seeing how many steps I'm doing, I just need to start actually catching up when I'm not hitting my targets...

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's a great motivator : ) I love using my Fitbit/Jawbone too! xx

      Delete
  10. Oh gosh I needed this post, it made me feel more motivated just reading it!
    I've been eating healthily again this past week (minus the odd treats here and there) and I feel much better within myself already. No more bloated tummy and I'm generally a lot more cheery. Now I just need to work the exercise bit in... xx

    Kathryn | Chapters of Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you hun! And thank you for sharing it on Twitter too - made my day! : ) I'm glad you're feeling much better.. Little steps to start and you'll soon be doing even better!! xx

      Delete
  11. I needed this post so badly. I get everything you said and agree with you 100%. Hope you are the healthiet you've ever been this year :)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Paula! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading xx

      Delete
  12. What a fab post! I'm fitting no in more at-home yoga practice and walking to work instead of taking the tube, as well as altering my diet. Hopefully it'll all pay off :) X

    Everything But The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little changes that will make a huge difference I am sure, Rhiannon! : ) Thank you for reading xx

      Delete
  13. Love how you go straight in with "Cut the crap" - it's so true and I find that when I get adequate sleep, I am less likely to want to reach for sugary food too so sleep is really important. Great post! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! : ) That's what I think too! Thanks for reading : ) xx

      Delete
  14. Getting fit is something I like to do in my spare time at uni, and although I might struggle with 3 and 4, I can definitely give the rest a go! Great tips xx

    www.LUCY-COLE.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I think 3 and 4 may be a bit of a struggle as a student but everything in moderation after all ;) Thank you Lucy! xx

      Delete
  15. Well this little post rocked into my life at the EXACT right time. Love how you focus on the mindset of healthy living as well as just the body changes.

    I'm determined to sleep more this year too..so I'm liking the addition of that one too!

    xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm so happy you liked it : ) and sleeping is definitely a tip to enjoy haha xx

      Delete
  16. Such a great post! I'm glad I never developed a glass of wine after work habit either. I practice the don't buy it principle too.

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! : ) I just checked out your blog and am looking forward to reading more xx

      Delete
  17. Wonderful tips and post! I have been juicing with my Nutri-Bullet for amount 2 months now with Organic Spinach, Fresh Fruit and Nuts and love it!! Great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) I really need to try a Nutri-Bullet xx

      Delete
  18. I am such a believer in resolutions too, great way to see what you want to achieve from the year and to better yourself :) I was the exact same with weight gain from uni and its so difficult to break the habit, definitely not buying the stuff in the first place is the best ever tip! Best of luck with continuing this year, looks like you're doing a really great job :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! : ) It really is.. I missed eating unhealthily so badly at first but now I can't imagine going back to how I used to be. Thanks lovely! xxx

      Delete
  19. Jessie, this post is amazing! It's absolutely crammed full of brilliant advice, tips and tricks for keeping motivated on your fitness journey and yet each and every word is a pleasure to read :). Your own fitness journey definitely keeps me inspired on that of my own too! Obviously, I love reading your fitness posts and 100% vote for wanting to see more of them haha :)
    xxx
    Tasmin | Grandiose Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you SO MUCH for such a lovely lovely comment! <33 It really means so much to me that people enjoy my writing. You've made my day! xxx

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for this post, I really needed the motivation to start being more healthy and active and this has really helped. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great tips!! Meal planning/ prepping and food diary work wonders for me! I don't know how I ever did without planning! Walking around aimlessly in a food store is never good haha!

    Shannon Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I always find myself in the biscuit and sweetie aisle haha xx

      Delete
  22. Such fab tips! I think with a bit of organisation & motivation, anything is possible with healthy body/healthy mind! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! : ) Thanks Holly xx

      Delete
  23. Great tips! I definitely need to get fit, I think using a few of these tips and getting a little more organised will do the trick (:

    Sophie x | Libertine Journals

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for writing this post, it's been a great motivator! I've known for a while that I've needed to start living a healthier lifestyle but hadn't bothered until recently. I've stopped buying crap, I'm going for a walk every lunch break, and I've started doing simple workouts in the evening :)

    Carolyn x
    Carolyn’s Simple Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're off to a fabulous start! : ) Keep it up!! xx

      Delete
  25. Fab post beauty. I'm doing dry January at the moment (which I'm finding surprisingly easy) and am attempting to be a bit healthier. The exercise will come soon I'm sure :/ Ha! Really loved these tips though <3

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! : ) I think Dry January is pretty easy to get through - best of luck! I have my birthday at the end of the month so will be breaking it then hehe. xx

      Delete
  26. Such an informative post lovely. I've been doing all the food/health related things and succeeded as I REACHED MY TARGET WEIGHT TODAY! I really need to focus on the exercise and toning now though!

    Ami xxx
    www.ami-rose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And GO YOU!! What amazing results : ) xx

      Delete
  27. Nothing better than fitness tips to inspire you, great tips!
    Off to join a new gym today, so bring on the classes.

    Allie | Rush + Teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! : ) Hope you enjoy the new gym xx

      Delete
  28. These are all amazing tips - and they're really easy to stick to, too! Regarding the "find a workout you enjoy" point, I really love the Seen on Screen dance classes they do in London, and I'm really hoping I can find some similar ones in Manchester when I move there soon. x Rebecca - itscohen.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! : ) I haven't heard of that class but it sounds fab xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS