Thursday, 14 January 2016

My 2015 Beauty Favourites.

Perhaps I'm a little bit late to jump on the bandwagon but now that the new year is in full swing I thought it would be nice to look back on the beauty products I absolutely loved in 2015.

I feel like 2015 was the year where I really started to experiment with makeup, and by that I mean more neutral, natural looks as well as the vampy, dark lipsticks I've been loving through the winter months. For me, makeup is kind of like an art form. Whilst I love wearing it as it makes me feel a lot more confident, I love to try out new styles and use new products to see the variety of looks I can create!

Urban Decay's Vice 3 Palette | if I could only choose one brand of eye makeup to wear for the rest of my life it would have to be Urban Decay. I am obsessed with all of their eyeshadow palettes and the Urban Decay Vice 3 is one I've used constantly throughout the year, particularly for nights out and events. The palette offers an array of gorgeous shades, from your natural-looking browns to smokey greys to bright emerald greens. There's something for everyone and you can create so many looks using this palette, including my favourite, the soft smokey eye. I love the bold pigmentation and soft application, plus it comes with its very own double-sided eyeshadow brush for applying and blending. I would say this is a must-have product for anyone who loves to work some magic on their eyelids!

Makeup Revolution Hot Spice Blush Palette | this year I've also steered away from my usual pink blush and have experimented with orangey pigments and browns to really highlight and accentuate my (pretty much non-existent) cheekbones. I have absolutely loved this palette, simply because of the sheer amount of blushes it offers. I particularly love the highlighting powders, which I use slightly above the cheekbones so that the light hits to give a lovely, soft glow. I also love the price tag. I feel like MUR became one of the brands to watch in 2015, and I look forward to seeing what else they come up with this year and beyond!

Bare Minerals Ready Foundation | I love Bare Minerals powder foundations, but hated the mess that came with their loose powders. After suffering with really bad skin for the latter part of the year (I blame the stress of university!) I decided to ditch my liquid foundations and opt for an everyday powder foundation that would be lighter on the skin and let it breathe. I found the gorgeous Bare Minerals Ready Foundation and absolutely love it. It is so soft on the skin and so light and airy, yet it gives a really solid coverage and covers up any pesky blemishes. I believe it has really aided in my skin's recovery and I am so happy to have found it. It's a foundation saviour! 

MAC Antique Velvet Lipstick | I may have only received this beautiful lipstick for Christmas, but I have worn it almost every day since. I love the deep, dark pigmentation and it's bold matte finish, which make it the perfect lipstick for making a statement. MAC lipsticks are definitely my favourite as they glide onto the lips so effortlessly and are super long-lasting. 

YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in Ultimate Beige | how gorgeous is this packaging?! I had been lusting after a YSL lipstick after seeing them on the blogosphere for so long, so when I jetted off to Santorini last year I decided to pick one up in the duty free at the airport. Boy, am I glad! This is a beautiful neutral shade with a slight glossy finish adding a luxury element. I love the colour as it's so natural and works with so many outfits and makeup looks, though it isn't as long-lasting as I'd hoped, possibly because of the lustrous finish. Nevertheless, it's so beautiful that I love having it and would love to try some more shades!

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Shame | another bold, deep lipstick and one that I have loved wearing throughout the year. Having been a massive fan of Urban Decay makeup for the past few years I'm shocked it took me until last year to try their lipsticks - and I wasn't disappointed. The lipstick slides really nicely onto the lips before drying into a matte finish. I actually bought this to match my graduation dress and it lasted so well throughout the day, though lipliner is essential. The deep plum shade has also made this a must-have Autumn lipstick and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it this year too.

Urban Decay Perversion Eyeliner | as I'm sure you're aware, I love wearing eye makeup and hardly ever leave the house without a little eyeliner on the waterline. This liner is absolutely fabulous and I honestly don't think I'll ever buy another. I used to find that I would apply eyeliner and it would have vanished within an hour or so, but with the Perversion eyeliner it's so long lasting that I have to use lots of eye makeup remover to make it budge at the end of the day. It glides smoothly onto the waterline without pulling or tugging, resulting in an effortlessly perfect finish. 

Benefit's Gimme Brow | long gone are the days of the Scouse brow; it's all about the natural look! It's so much easier to wear a natural look IMO and Gimme Brow is the product that helps me do this. I have very fine, light hairs that can sometimes be a little straggly and caterpillar-like. Using a tiny wand and some gel-like product, Gimme Brow grooms these bad boys into shape by clinging onto even the tiniest of hairs, making them bolder and more defined.

Clinique High Impact Mascara | another product that I have really fallen in love with this year is Clinique's High Impact mascara. If you're wanting bold, voluminous lashes then this is a mascara you cannot live without. I love how it divides my lashes evenly, as well as lengthening and adding volume. It really does give those lashes a high impact!

Benefit's High Brow | back in the summer I was loving the "strobing" or "highlighting" makeup look and this product really helped me achieve that. It's basically a highlighting pencil to use under the brows to give a defined, yet natural, finish and to really shape the brows. I love how it helps to create a more profound arch making the eyes look wider and more alert. 

Collection Extreme 24 Hour Felt-Tip Liner | it wasn't until last year that I realised just how much easier life could be when using a felt-tip pen style liner to create the perfect winged liner look. This drugstore beauty is a product that I use daily and I doubt I will ever need to find another. It's just so good and costs just £2.99 too! An absolute beauty bargain that is perfect for all ladies on a budget.

Benefit's Brow Zings | to help define my brows and to make more of a statement I love using Brow Zings. It's made up of two product consistencies, including a wax to shape the brows and a powder to set and keep them in place and also comes with a little compact mirror and mini tweezers to pluck out any strays. While a more natural look is now in trend, I do find that as my brows are so light I need more product to actually make it look like I have some. This product works wonders!

Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Skincare Range | 2015 was definitely the year that I started to really care for my skin and it was sadly a year where my skin was really terrible too. I think the stress of my dissertation and starting a masters has really taken its toll, and it's come out in my skin, but Clinique's Anti-Blemish range has really helped to keep my acne at bay. It makes my skin feel squeaky clean and fresh, whilst soft and smooth. It's quite crazy that before I used to go to bed with a full face of makeup; now I honestly can't think of anything worse! I love how fresh and clean my skin feels whilst using it and if there's one thing I've learned in 2015 it's that a skincare regime is absolutely essential in looking after your skin.

DiorSkin Star Foundation | for a night out I do love to wear a liquid foundation and I think that the DiorSkin Star is the one for me. It gives such an amazing, long-lasting coverage with a slight dewy finish that is great for special events. I was worried that this would make me look and feel oily, particularly in the summer, but I absolutely love the gorgeous highlight it gives and the full coverage. I reserve this for nights out or occasions, simply because my skin is so temperamental, but it's a foundation I truly adore.

DiorSkin Nude Air Powder | another duty-free product I've loved using is this lovely, light powder that gives a gorgeous radiant glow yet still helps to set your foundation. I always apply a powder on top of any liquid foundations and this has really helped to enhance coverage. Plus, the packaging is bleeding beautiful. Not so much now as it's been used so much, but I guess that just shows it's well-loved!

Samy Fat Hair Amplifying Hairspray | I have straight hair but love to curl it. However, due to its stubborn, natural state it often starts to fall out almost immediately after curling it, especially in the crazy weather we have here in Wales. The only hairspray I've found to combat these problems is Samy's Fat Hairspray. This is probably the strongest hairspray I've ever used, and once spritz it keeps your hair in place all day! I will say that you do need to use it sparingly and spray far away from the hair, but the staying power it has is unbelievable!

St Moriz Fake Tanning Mousse | and finally, what is a beauty favourites post without some trusty fake tan?! This is another bargain beauty and a product that I cannot live without. I think all of us love a nice, bronzed glow, especially as the winter weather takes its toll and this product is so natural and so long-lasting. It gives the illusion of a sunkissed, summer tan but without blitzing your sun with UV rays and without even needing the sun in the first place. I love how effortlessly it applies and the results are just fabulous.

What were your favourite beauty products of 2016?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

20 comments:

  1. The Urban Decay palette is gorgeous! Since reading your posts last year im loving the Clinique skincare too x
    Emma | Emmys Beauty Cave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) Ahh it's so good isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. I've been using the Fat Hair dry shampoo recently and it's pretty impressive!
    Gimmebrow and changed my life!! I was always terrible at filling in my brows but since discovering this, it's just SO quick and easy, it's one of my holy grail products for sure!
    Gillian  xx  EyelinerFlicks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the shampoo but will have to give it a go! : ) Ahh i totally agree! I love it! xx

      Delete
  3. Absolutely loved reading this Jessie! Gave me a few things to add to my wishlist! xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't choose just one product a like because I like everything haha. This was so fun to read :)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about your 2015 favorites and for me its Derma e skincare products, several lipsticks in pink, Mizani haircare products for my dry, relaxed hair, and so much more!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you : ) I like the sound of those hair products. xx

      Delete
  6. I really like the look of the YSL lipstick, it looks like the perfect nude. There's some good products here, I'd like to try some of them xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have the hot spice palette and it's a fave this month!!

    Loved this post

    http://sasssytoni.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also live by UD eyeshadow palettes - you cannot beat them! Clinique were one of my favourite brands last year too. Their High Impact mascara is just incredible - I'm on my 3rd tube and have a 4th at the ready.

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely can't! I love the High Impact so much!! xx

      Delete
  9. The Revolution blush palette is my favourite - they're all so buttery and pigmented!

    I really need to jump on the bandwagon and try some Urban Decay lipsticks, that deep tone is calling me!

    Holly | www.thekittyluxe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! : ) The lipsticks are so good - let me know if you try them out! xx

      Delete
  10. You've made me really want to try the powder foundation, since uni stress for me is forever endless haha ♥

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you should try it! : ) I can totally relate girl xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS