Saturday, 2 January 2016

My Goals For 2016.

Happy New Year everybody! Can you believe we're already in 2016? I was sorting out some cupboards in my room today and came across a diary I had started writing in 2006 - ten years ago. I always think that 2008 was like three years ago and then I realise that it's eight and kind of freak out a little. It seems the older I get the quicker time passes by and with every day I'm growing and becoming more of an adult and that's the super scary thing!

2015 was a great year for me with my graduation, turning 21, going on some fabulous holidays and starting my Masters (you can read all about it here). I also managed to fulfil the personal goals that I set last year (see here) by graduating with a First Class Honours, completing Survival of the Fitness and traveling to three new countries/cities as well as exploring a lot more of my home country, Wales. It's quite refreshing to see how far I've come in just one year, both in my personal life and career/blogging journey, so I thought I would set some new challenges for the year ahead today.


I know a lot of people laugh at this whole "new year, new me" mantra, but I can't help but think that the coming of a new year is the perfect time to start fresh. You can kiss goodbye to any mishaps or negative times that you had in the previous year and look to the future with new goals and dreams to fulfil! 

Health and Fitness - 2016's Goals

Last year I feel I really conquered my health and fitness journey and I have never felt happier with myself. I completely changed my diet and lifestyle, opting for long walks on the beach instead of a night out drinking alcohol, and my body really thanked me for it. I finally got to my goal figure - I don't actually weigh myself, so I just use the mirror and my clothes as a guide - and felt stronger, fitter and healthier than I had ever felt before.

At the very end of 2014 I participated in my first circuits class and from there I found my absolute passion for fitness. I had really enjoyed working out before but I feel that the circuits sessions enabled me to push myself harder and further than ever, making me realise that I actually was a fit, healthy individual with the ability to do whatever I wanted. I even fell in love with running, which is something I never thought I would say and I completed a 13 mile Survival of the Fittest around Cardiff Bay in September in 1 hour 40 minutes and came in the top 600 out of 4,000. This was my first ever fitness challenge and I was absolutely thrilled to have completed it. 

1. Get back in shape after Christmas 
First and foremost, after the Christmas period I am sporting a rather unattractive food baby, so my main goal for the first half of the year is to get back into the shape I was in during the summer time. I've eaten and drunk far too much this Christmas and am really looking forward to a January detox with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lots of running and taking time to sleep.

2. Run a 10k/Half Marathon
After completing Survival of the Fittest I feel like the next step for me is to complete a run. In all honesty, I wouldn't want to do Survival again. While it was an amazing experience and one that I am thoroughly pleased to have taken part in, it involved a lot of mud, water and climbing, something which is just not for me. However, having ran for 13 miles with obstacles in between I feel a half marathon or 10k run should be just about doable. I am planning to run my first 10k in Cardiff at the end of February and would love to work my way up to complete the Cardiff Half Marathon next September! 

3. Do yoga once a day
This is something completely new to me but something I am really eager to participate in. I've never really done yoga before, but have heard so many amazing things about it. Those who know me know how much of a stress head I am and as I'm currently studying a masters I seriously need all the help and calming influences I can get, so I have decided to take up yoga. I am currently following Yoga With Adrienne's programme (although I do shorter practices on days where I don't have as much time or have already worked out) and am absolutely loving it so far. During the practice I do sometimes feel like just flopping onto my bed and calling it a day, but the release of stress and worried energies I feel after completing a practice is truly amazing. Yoga is to help me look good and feel good too!

Career - 2016's Goals

This year will probably be the most exciting one yet in terms of my career. It's crazy to think I've been in education for almost 20 years of my life and 2016 is the year where I kiss goodbye to the safety of the education system and embrace the big wide world of work!

1. Complete my masters to the best of my capability
My MA in Journalism is sure to be the most testing experience of my life. The workload we have is enormous, but I'm absolutely loving the creative process and feel I am really finding my niche in terms of journalism. I truly love lifestyle and with a keen interest in both print and digital I would love to work in the women's lifestyle magazine sector in the future. For now though my goal is to work my ass off this year in order to graduate with the highest grade I possibly can. This course is a lot different to anything I've worked on before so I don't have an exact grade/goal in mind, all I want to do is give it my all and know I can leave there saying I couldn't have worked any harder. 

2. Get a job
This would be the ultimate dream. As I leave university next September I would love to be able to find a job in journalism somewhere by the end of the year. Working back in retail over Christmas has made me realise just how much I can't bear the thought of going back there after completing my degree. I want to write, design, publish, create and I am so hopeful that someone somewhere will see my passion and enthusiasm for my chosen path. I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason, though, so if I am still job-hunting in early 2017 then it will just mean that another door is waiting to open for me!

Blogging - 2016's Goals

In 2015 I hit the big 1,000 on Bloglovin' followers and really developed my love and passion for blogging. I made lots of new blogging friends and felt my readership grow and expand as the year progressed. Sadly from October onwards I've had very little time to blog which brings me great sadness. I love blogging so much and not having the time to write or read or communicate online truly sucked, but I'm hoping that will change this year. 

1. Set days for posting
I'm hoping I can stick to 3 posts a week this year, though I do worry that this will dwindle when I have finals to study for and assignments to complete. I just feel like posting regularly is key to maintaining your audience and as everyone has always been so supportive of ATB-x I want to give something back to the community. 

2. Experiment with post styles
It was interesting to see that my lifestyle and fitness posts were the most popular on a poll I ran on Twitter (you can follow me on Twitter here) last week, so I am definitely going to make sure I post plenty of those this year. Interestingly lifestyle posts are my favourite to write, so it's lovely to see that people are enjoying reading just as much as I love writing. I would also love to start posting some makeup tutorials with step by step photos, although I'm not sure I want to venture into YouTube just yet!

3. Meet more bloggers
Living in Wales is the shizzle but it sucks that I'm so far away from some of my favourite bloggers! This year I'm actually going to be in London for two weeks over the Easter period, so I would love to meet up with some lovely LDN bloggers then if anyone is interested? (Please say yes as I'll be there all on my lonesome!) I want to attend more blogging events in 2016 and would love to host my own, but it all depends on how much time I have to organise. If anyone is keen to meet then please let me know so we can arrange!

So there you have it, my goals for 2016! In between these I would love to do some travelling and to visit some new cities and places both in the UK and far beyond, and I am excited to see what will happen after I complete my masters, but I feel like these are some solid, (hopefully) achievable goals to inspire and motivate me throughout the year. I love writing posts like this as it's great to pour your feelings out and I can return to this post every time I'm in need of a little guidance or inspiration to see me through. 

I truly hope everyone has a wonderful 2016 filled with all the health, love and happiness in the world and thank you so much for all your support over the past year! 

What are your goals for 2016?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo 

23 comments:

  1. Woo awesome goals! I've been loving yoga as well, Adriennes videos are so good, I'm excited to follow along when I get back to the UK! And definitely let me know when you are in London over Easter! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! : ) Ooh where are you currently? I noticed on Insta that you were on your travels somewhere! I definitely will :D xo

      Delete
  2. You are so focused and clear on your goals. No wonder you have a great habit of achieving them! So so happy to hear that 2015 was good to you. Here is hoping that 2016 is even more amazing. One of my resolutions is to work on my "food baby" as well. Lol. Too many sweets over the holidays!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun! : ) I hope I achieve them this year. I hope you also have a fabulous 2016! xo

      Delete
  3. I want to run a marathon and do yoga once a day too! I already follow the channel of Adrienne and I love it, she is super relax

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get out of bed and do my yoga session for today haha! xo

      Delete
  4. Hey Jessie, I live in rural Norfolk, so know what you mean about meeting other bloggers. Londons not too far though, so I'd love to meet with you and everyone else at Easter time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to meet everyone! : ) That sounds fab Georgie, will keep you posted! xo

      Delete
  5. Basically all my goals for my personal bests including my blog in 2016! You got this degree!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun! : ) Good luck for 2016 with your resolutions! xx

      Delete
  6. Fab post lovely, I would really love to run a half marathon I had planned on training for one last year but health got in the way :( I want to do the same when it comes to my blog and set days for when I post :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlee! : ) I would love to as well. I hope you're feeling better now lovely! xx

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant 2015 you had Jessie! I'm sure 2016 will be equally as amazing for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! : ) I hope you have a fab year and will be great to meet (hopefully) sometime this year! :D xx

      Delete
  8. Well done on the first! I graduated a few months ago and just started blogging a few weeks ago, love it so far and aim to keep it up and improve my photography on it :)

    Shelise xx | SHELISES WORLD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelise! : ) Welcome to the blogging world! I hope you have a lovely time. xx

      Delete
  9. This is such a lovely post Jessie, I have just posted my goals for 2016 on my post. Congratulations for all that you achieved in 2015 and good luck with all your goals in 2016. I live in London so would love to meet up when you're down and we can share blogging tips and having completed a masters last year, I know exactly what you're going through! Abi | ramblingsofablonde.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Abi : ) I will head over to read your goals post now! That would be amazing : ) i will let you know when i'm going to be there! Would be great to meet! xx

      Delete
  10. Some amazing goals. So positive :) I love reading posts like this, it really gets me motivated to achieve great things myself! I've a post on my goals coming up next week :)
    If we're in London at the same time I would love to meet up :) xx

    Tamsyn-Elizabeth | Peaches and Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm looking forward to reading your goals too! : ) That would be so lush. I will let you know when I'm there as soon as I get dates! xx

      Delete
  11. I've also booked a 10k! Good luck for yours :-)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great set of goals! Best of luck with them. x

    Allie | Rush & Teal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo. Great goals, good luck for the year ahead! :)

    Sally x
    http://asprinkleofsally.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS