Tuesday, 2 February 2016

January 2016 | Turning 22, New Starts and Exciting Opportunities.

For many January is the worst month of the year. Yes, admittedly it can feel long and it's pretty dull and grey. Days are spent wearing as many layers as you possibly can in order to fight the horrible bouts of flu circling the office, slogging away on the treadmill in a bid to work off the Christmas stodge, and avoiding the left-over Bounty chocolates in the Cadbury Celebrations tin. However, for me January 2016 has been truly fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to the year ahead!


1. I'm feeling 22!

I've written several posts on how I celebrated my birthday this year and honestly I had the best time. I stretched my celebrations out over two weekends - genuinely feel like I'm Kim Kardashian sometimes - so spent the first back home in Carmarthen with my friends, family and Dan, and the second having a wild night out in Cardiff with my housemates and some old uni friends. My weekend at home was spent drinking and dancing, shopping with my mum and indulging in an amazing spa day as a birthday treat from Dan. We really had such a luxurious day filled with pampering and delicious food - it was bliss. My birthday made me realise how lucky and grateful I am to be surrounded by such wonderful, kind and caring people. 

2. Back to university

So this January marked my last year ever in education and it's really exciting but also seriously scary. I am a girl who always has a plan and to have absolutely no idea where I'll be living and what I'll be doing this time next year is really exciting, but really terrifying! Nevertheless, for now I'm continuing to work hard in uni and thoroughly enjoying the process. Myself and my housemate, who is also my course mate, teamed together to pitch an idea to our class to make a craft and home decor magazine as part of our major uni project for this term. We were delighted that our lecturers chose our pitch, so this term will be spent creating our very own magazine! It's called Urban Chic and is all about "making the aspirational affordable". We're in the planning stages at the moment but will be creating content very soon so keep your eyes peeled. 

3. Winter walks

Despite January being mostly dull and grey, there have been some (very rare) days where the sun has broken through the clouds and I've been sure to make the most of it. I miss the countryside so much when I'm back in Cardiff. The rolling hills, crashing waves and green fields of my hometown have a seriously calming effect on me and four years of living in a student-filled area where litter is strewn across the street and the only wildlife you see are the pigeons and seagulls pecking at rubbish bins is taking its toll. When I'm home I always make sure to appreciate the beauty that is around me.

4. My first TV appearance

January really was so exciting and I can finally share some amazing news with you - I was interviewed by Connie Fisher for a BBC Wales Documentary all about makeup! I was contacted a little while before Christmas and the day for filming came about two weeks ago to chat all about why I enjoy wearing makeup and what beauty blogging is all about. I was absolutely terrified before filming - I didn't sleep a wink the night before! - but it all went well and I really enjoyed the experience. I will definitely be posting a full breakdown of information and details of when/where you can watch when I know more about it!

5. Being grateful 

While I've had such a wonderful start to 2016, it has unfortunately not been so good for many others. The deaths of some of Britain's best-loved stars, such as Bowie and much-loved Harry Potter legend Alan Rickman, have affected people from around the world. There was also a very tragic accident a lot closer to home which has affected my small, tight-knit hometown. I think it's so important to really grab hold of every opportunity you can with both hands, and to be thankful and grateful for every good thing you have in your life. Surround yourself with good people, try new things, push yourself and, for goodness sake, eat that chocolate cake. Life is too short.

What have you been up to in 2016?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've had such a positive January!Xx

    www.lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy! : ) Hope you did too. xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Jess! Exciting news about your TV appearance - can't wait to watch! Definitely agree with your last point 'being grateful'- life is way too short and we should appreciate every day. Wishing you a positive February xxx

    Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Eve : ) I'm so nervous about it haha. Thank you and you too! xx

      Delete
  3. Fab post lovely, looking forward to Urban Chic! :) I’ve really been loving winter walks as of late also, it’s so nice to walk by the canals and just take it all in. The BBC documentary sounds so interesting!! :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you Charlee! : ) I will be sure to send you a link to the mag when it's done! I definitely love winter walks too. Thanks you hun xx

      Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

      Delete
  4. Oh wow it sounds like you've had an amazing January - happy belated birthday lovely xx

    Gemma | missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw what a positive post! Glad you had a nice birthday x
    Leah

    http://leahclarkie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you've had an exciting year so far! I know exactly how you feel about not knowing what's going on next year. I could be anywhere and it's scary and so exciting!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun - it's really scary but yes very exciting! xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely first post to read as a new follower! Good luck in your final year of university, I'm also a third year and just about to start writing my dissertation (also happens to be a magazine, weird huh?) so I'm really nervous, too. Life's going to drastically change when uni is finished and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I'm sure you'll do great but I'm sending all the positive vibes!

    Em | beautyandbullshitt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Emily for such a lovely message! : ) I actually graduated last year (doing a post-grad course now) so I feel your pain when it comes to do doing a diss.. God knows how I'll cope writing another one this year haha! Best of luck to you too hun - I'm sure you'll smash it! xx

      Delete
  8. I am glad about your positive things happening for you in January and you are right about gratitude and keeping life in respective! Yes, eat that chocolate cake, in moderation of course! :)

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS