Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Valentine's Day Make Up Look.

Now that I'm seriously stuffed after eating far too much Nutella and pancakes earlier, it's time to look ahead to the next "festivity". I'll be honest when I say that Dan and I don't really do that much for Valentine's Day - last year we went for a walk down the beach and the year before that we just got a pizza - but it's always nice to get dressed up if you're heading out for a meal or to do something fun with your other half, and there's no better excuse than the day of love to rock a bold red lip.

This is a makeup look I created last week and I feel it fits Valentine's Day perfectly. A subtle smoky eye with a signature winged liner, along with a subtle contour and a bright lipstick makes for the ideal Valentine's Day look without going a little too crazy. 



I started by applying a little of my DIORSkin Star Foundation with a beauty blender over all areas of the face, before highlighting under the eyes to hide my tired bags and along the bridge of the nose and chin with Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I always wear a darker foundation as I like to wear fake tan, so I personally feel that using a lighter highlighter and blending them together with a beauty blender helps to achieve a more natural finish. I then buffed some Bare Minerals Ready Powder Foundation over the top to mattify and set the look. Wearing a powder, as I'm sure you all know, is absolutely key - especially with my oily skin base!

For contouring I like to use my favourite Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder. It's just so easy to use and gives a really sun-kissed look too, so brushing this along the temples and hairline, in the hollows of my cheeks and under my jawline (to hide that double chin) helps to add a little colour to the face. It's amazing what a difference contouring makes and it always makes me feel super confident. I then added a flush of colour to the cheeks with my MAC Peachy Keen Blush.

Next it's onto the brows and here I used Benefit Gimme Brow to tease the brow hairs into place and to define the shape, before filling in the gaps and adding a little more definition with Benefit's Brow Zings. I really like the effect this duo gives, although I am starting to opt for even more of a natural look as the summer gets closer.

For eyes I love using my Urban Decay Naked 2 palette and it has the perfect blend of colours so that you can opt for a subtle day time look, or really vamp up the eyes for a special occasion. As I wanted to wear a bright lipstick I kept the eyeshadow simple, with a hint of smoke at the corners of the eyes. I used "Chopper" all over the eyes and "Busted" on the outer corners to achieve this look and I really love it. I also dragged a little of the darker shade under the waterline to add some more depth. 

I then added lashings of Clinique High Impact Mascara, followed by Urban Decay Perversion eyeliner on the waterline and Collection Extreme 24 Hour Felt Tip Liner to outline the eyes with precise detail and also to add a teeny winged finish. 

And finally, for the finishing touch - the red lip! For this look I used MAC Brave Red. This was the first MAC lipstick I ever had and it's such a staple in my makeup bag. It's slightly darker than your average "Hollywood red" and has such a gorgeous matte finish, yet doesn't dry out the lips and glides smoothly on when applying. The pigmentation truly is fantastic and it's really long lasting, though I do like to apply a lipliner around the outline of my lips just to ensure it doesn't bleed throughout the day. 

So there you have it, a subtle yet statement makeup look that's perfect for Valentine's Day!
What's your Valentine's Day look?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo



16 comments:

  1. You look beatiful! I love that lipstick on you :)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wit woo Jessie! Looking gorgeous and Brave is probably one of my favourite lipsticks ever xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Brave too! I have Brave and Brave Red now so very happy hehe : ) Thanks so much chick. xxx

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning!!! You are gorgeous doll!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much! That's lovely of you. xx

      Delete
  4. Love this look, you look beautiful! :) Gotta have a red lip for valentines day - its the rule isn't it?! ;)
    Anna xx

    Style & Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anna! It's definitely the rule : ) xx

      Delete
  5. Fab post lovely, such a stunning look! I don’t actually have MAC Red, but looks like such a gorgeous shade and one that I definitely need to get my hands on!

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlee! I'm shocked you don't have this lippie yet haha - you need it in your collection! xx

      Delete
  6. I posted my Valentine's Day make up look today. :) You look gorge! xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! : ) I'll be sure to check it out! xx

      Delete
  7. I love your VDay look and I will be wearing berry lip look with golden eyes!!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely Ursula :) thank you for your lovely comment! xx

      Delete
  8. I know this post is about your makeup, but your hair looks incredible! I love the curls! That lipstick looks incredible on you, perfect for a dressed-up look, not so perfect for a valentines smooch!

    Lilies and Lipbalm
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! It's starting to actually grow now - yay! :D Thanks lovely xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS