Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Why starting a blog was the best thing I've ever done.

When I typed up my blog first post almost three years ago, I never imagined my blog would become what it is today. While I may not have a mammoth amount of followers, and as much as I'd definitely like to improve areas of my blog and grow my social media channels, looking back at my three years as a beauty blogger fills me with happiness and makes me feel rather proud. 

When I first started blogging I wasn't immersed in the blogosphere at all. I stumbled across the world of beauty blogs whilst searching for a review on some hair products and within 15 minutes I'd set up my own. I have always been passionate about writing (I wanted to be an author when I was younger and studied journalism at university) and I've always loved makeup and being girly, so combining these two passions seemed like an obvious choice. I started reading more blogs and speaking to other bloggers via Twitter, but this was an aspect of my life that I kept very quiet as I was worried about what people would think. 


After a while I plucked up the courage to tell friends about my blog, and before long I was broadcasting it on Twitter and now on Facebook too. I realised I was pretty pleased with this little area of the internet I had created and wanted to embrace it even more by letting the people I knew into it. Telling people for the first time was a very scary moment, as you're kind of putting yourself out there for scrutiny and allowing everyone to read the thoughts swirling around your head, but without a doubt starting a blog is one of the best things I've ever done.

I get a lot of young ladies from my small, rural town in West Wales who want to start a blog but who are afraid of what other will think. I can't encourage people enough to give it a go. Yes, it takes up heaps of your time and can sometimes feel like an extra job on that never-ending to-do list, but blogging is so much fun and it has taught me so much. If you're thinking of starting a blog but need a little convincing, then these reasons why I love it are sure to get you started. 

1. It's helped me in my chosen career path

As someone who has always wanted to work in the crazy competitive journalism industry, starting a blog to enhance my chances of gaining the career I wanted seemed like an obvious choice. Without a doubt it has helped me gain contacts and has improved my journalistic skills no end - and I'm not just talking about writing. You learn digital skills, networking, marketing and time management and if you're looking to work in journalism, fashion, beauty or anything along those lines I would urge you to give blogging a try. That's not just to say blogging is limited to people wanting to work in those areas though. I know bloggers who are working as teachers, in retail, law and even science. It affords you with skills that help all aspects of your life. 


2. I've met so many fabulous people 

Probably one of the best things about blogging is the people you meet along the way, and there are so many of us out there that you're bound to find someone who you will become firm friends with! I've met and become friends with ladies from across the UK who are also immersed in the blogging community, and everyone is really friendly and encouraging! Blogging events are also a great way to meet new people and so much fun too. You get to mingle with like-minded people in exclusive events and every time I go to an event I leave with lots of new people to talk to. 


3. I've been afforded some amazing opportunities

From collaborating with some of my favourite brands, to attending absolutely mind-blowing events, the opportunities I've gained from starting a blog are endless and I'm truly grateful for each and every one. I've done photoshoots and look books with gorgeous clothes, been for luxurious spa treats and have even been interviewed for a television programme. One thing I will say though is that opportunities alone are not the reason you should start a blog. There's a common misconception that as soon as you start a blog you get floods of freebies and offers coming through your door when the truth couldn't be more different. Blogging takes hard work and dedication. You need to build up a following and a brand and show people that you are genuine and trustworthy before you'll be even considered by brands to review anything. Blogging is pretty damn demanding, but the benefits you get from it are amazing. 


4. I've become more confident

I'll never forget my first blogging event. It was a Benefit event in Bristol and I was absolutely terrified. I even made my father come into the location with me as I was so nervous, but meeting everyone there really put me at ease and I still chat to some of the ladies I met there today. Since then I've been to a few events in London, which is something I would never had done when I first started blogging. Speaking to and working with new people has definitely made me more confident and ready to take on any challenges that comes in my way. 


5. It's a hobby I absolutely love 

As much as blogging can take over your life - no, seriously, everywhere you go blogging will seep into your mind - there's nothing I love more than settling down on a Sunday morning with my laptop to get my blogging fix. Writing up posts, being inspired by your like-minded blogging friends, taking pretty photos and trying lots of new products. It's helped me in life in more ways than one and is something I absolutely could not live without. 

What are your favourite things about blogging?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

25 comments:

  1. Love this post- i feel the same, so glad I took the jump!
    abi x
    a little dust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too hun - I'm glad you feel the same! xx

      Delete
  2. Although I keep dipping in and out of blogging, i have to say that I'm so glad I've documented my journey online so I can look back on it when i'm an old lady! xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely another reason I'm glad I've done it too! : ) xx

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet post! I want to go down a career path in writing of some kind, and I'm in my third year of a Creative Writing degree but the things I've learnt through blogging and communicating with my readers and sharing stuff online has been so invaluable! I've also learnt things through my degree that help with blogging, so it's a win-win!

    The best thing blogging has done for me is give me a creative outlet I really enjoy, when my degree isn't seeming like fun!

    Keep blogging!
    Em | beautyandbullshitt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I bet blogging has been absolutely amazing in terms of helping you with your degree! : ) I totally agree that it's a great way to be creative and to fall back in love with writing xx

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful post hun, I couldn't agree more with every singly point, blogging is such an amazing thing isn't it. I've loved reading your blog over the last year or so and can't wait to see where you end up... always such fab content! <3

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Elle you've made my night! Thank you so much you wonderful lady xx

      Delete
  5. Im the same, when i started blogging i only read a couple before hand and that was just over some product reviews. Since starting my blog it has helped me realise what career path i want to go down.
    Emmy | Emmys Beauty Cave | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm absolutely addicted to reading blogs now! : ) xx

      Delete
  6. Yesss totally agree with all of this. Love me some blogging. It is such an addictive hobbie, didn't think I would still be doing it 2 years later!!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Totally agree! Love my blog time!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2,3,4 seems like they're sepaking to me! I love blogging and the opportunities and people you meet is incredible. (I mean, thanks to blogging I find your blog! haha)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for your lovely comment! : ) xx

      Delete
  9. What I love about blogging is finally finding my voice and know that I have something worth sharing with others and the world!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post is lovely! :) Blogging has really changed a huge chunk of my life - I love it. As you know, I love your blog, and if I become half as good a blogger as you, I'll be incredibly happy. xxx

    Eve - haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post! I completely agree with all of your points, it's such a fun hobby <3

    Four Cats Plus Us

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw love reading posts like these! Sometimes blogging can be really difficult, especially when you feel like you're not posting enough/your photography's shit/you don't own 2730 mac lipsticks to review so it's good to reflect on why you started in the first place!

    So true that you can learn so so many valuable skills through blogging can you can put on your CV. I work in marketing now and I can honestly say 50% the skills I use are from blogging!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an amazing post! I couldn't agree more... I study English language and literature, and writing a blog has helped me so much! I didn't use English a lot, besides at uni, before starting to write and now I talk to people all the time and write 2-3 times a week, so I think it helps a lot... The opportunities part I'm slowly getting to, and it's absolutely amazing, and you're right! The blogging community is amazing :) xx

    http://beautypeptalk.blogspot.hr/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just discovered your lovely blog - And it really is beautiful here. You've created such a positive space and this post jumped off the screen at me. I loved reading it, and as someone just starting out, it was reassuring and uplifting. (and the picture shows one of my favourite quotes)Thanks so much.
    Very Best Wishes to You.

    millymayamelia.com
    23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS