Tuesday, 1 March 2016

February 2016 | Making the most of every day.

Happy first day of spring, and Happy St. David's Day! It's a tradition in Wales on St. David's Day to dress up in traditional Welsh dress and to eat lots of cawl and welshcakes. I'm not dressing up because that's kind of reserved for young children who are forced to don their itchy shawls and strange hats for a day of clog dancing in school, but St. David's Day always brings back fond memories of my primary school days. 

February was a very busy month but a very enjoyable one too! I felt like a lot of the time last year I was so caught up with passing assignments and doing university work, that I forgot to actually enjoy myself. This year I've vowed to make a difference, and while I'm as worried about passing and getting good grades as ever, I'm also making sure to take time out to just experience life and to make the most of every day. 

Launching Urban Chic

February was (another) hectic month at university, but it was also incredibly exciting as we launched the pilot issue for our home and crafts magazine, Ubran Chic! It meant days slogging out in front of a computer screen, designing pages with utmost precision and tediously reading through every single word for any mishaps or mistakes. It was all worth it though to see the finished product, and we're currently undergoing the same process as we have our first larger issue's deadline in just over a week. Cue super early mornings and late nights, but it really is the best feeling when your vision for something comes together. I feel like working on Urban Chic has shown me just how much I love designing too. I always wanted to write but designing is slowly taking over that aspect of journalism. You can take a look at our magazine here - feedback is much appreciated!

Spring is in the air

Despite the absolutely freezing temperatures, I can't help but feel like spring is on its way. On Sunday night night Dan and I were driving back from taking our dogs for a walk in Pembrokeshire. It was six o' clock and the sun hadn't yet set and it just made me so happy. Springtime really is my favourite time of year. I love seeing the trees filled with colourful blossom, and the nights starting to get lighter. For me this means dog walks on the beach, late nights with Dan and spending time with my family and loved ones. It brings a sense of nostalgia in a way, and reminds me of home.


Adventures and exploring

I've spent a lot of time this month exploring new places and getting out of Cardiff and into the countryside. It's actually been so nice to get out of what can sometimes be a monotonous routine, of going to university and to the gym and then home. On Valentine's Day Dan and I went on a little tour of Cardiff and visited Castell Coch, a beautiful towering castle just outside of central Cardiff, and we also visited nearby Penarth, which is a tiny seaside town just across from Cardiff Bay. I've lived in Cardiff for four years now and it's only this year where I haven't felt completely homesick and have really enjoyed spending time in the city.

I also climbed the Preseli Mountains in Pembrokeshire with Dan and my mum for a feature I'm working on in university. We got completely lost, spent most of the time jumping through bogs to try and avoiding our feet getting completely soaked, I didn't stop moaning the whole time and I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life. But now that I'm warmed up and my feet have thawed out, I can honestly say it was such a hilarious experience and I'm quite looking forward to writing up my feature!

***

February really has been a fantastic month and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. I've also been out with friends, ate some delicious food, been for days out with my family and just made the most of everything. I feel like I may have finally got that work/life balance on point, but I know in my gut that March is going to be seriously stressful. Dan is also heading out to New Zealand next week to do some travelling so it's going to be really hard without him by my side cheering me on when I'm feeling stressed. In four years the longest we've been apart is about ten days, so not seeing him for weeks really scares me. I'm hoping I'll be so busy with university and work placements that it will fly by!

What have you been up to this month?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see your having a good time at uni and making the most of it as you'll deffo miss it when you finish. And you know what they say distance makes the heart grow fonder.

    http://jessie-lou3.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I feel like post-grad life is so different to my undergrad, so I'm kind of looking forward to getting a job next year and to actually earn money haha. xx

      Delete
  2. It's great that you are now giving time to enjoy yourself! A lot of times when we relax and see the things from other perspective we value our studies, jobs everything more! The photos are beautiful and it seems like you have a lot of fun :)

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula : ) Yes I totally agree - time out is much needed sometimes! xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've had a fab February. Hopefully the time away from your boyfriend flies - I'm sure it'll be over before you know it! x

    Kirsty - Life in Excess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the magazine!!! I love the idea of putting fairy lights in bottles and jars - defs an idea I'll be saving for when I finally move into my own home. It looks like a great magazine! I'd buy it.

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm so pleased you liked it Hannah! : ) That's so kind of you - thank you! xx

      Delete
  5. I had a busy but enjoyable Feb too! Glad to see you had such a great time :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your monthly reviews. Glad to see that you've had a great month - may march be even better ;)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS