Wednesday, 27 April 2016

London Life & Interning at Grazia.

Ahh, it feels good to be back! It's been so long since I found the time to sit down and write a blog post, and if I'm completely honest I quite enjoyed the break. Over the past two weeks I took an unintentional blogging break and it felt rather liberating. It's funny how tied down you get to your blog, and taking time off made me realise that if I don't get a post up on time that it's not the end of the world. Nevertheless, I had a really good excuse! I spent the last two weeks living the London life and interning at Grazia magazine, and what an amazing two weeks it was!
Exploring London in the sunshine.
As some of you are aware, I'm spending this year studying a Masters in Magazine Journalism and over the Easter break have been interning at various publications. I spent a week in Bristol interning at Perfect Wedding magazine (which you can read all about here) and had a really fab time, and just over two weeks ago I hopped on a train to London to spend two weeks interning at Grazia's beauty desk! 
The sun shining over the Houses of Parliament.
To say I was nervous was an understatement. I was terrified, but absolutely over the moon to have my application accepted at such an established publication. I'd also only been to London three times before - twice with my mum and once with Dan - and those were only for short weekend breaks that included a little shopping and sightseeing, so being in London for two weeks on my own really worried me and I spent the days leading up to the journey fretting about whether I'd like it and what the experience would be like. Looking back now, it was so ridiculous as I really had the most amazing time and I'm already excited to go back!

Bayswater was so pretty!
I stayed at a hotel just outside central London in Bayswater, which was a stones throw away from Hyde Park and four stops from Oxford Circus on the central tube line. The hotel itself wasn't great (I spent most mornings being woken up by the noisy cleaners) but it was kept spotlessly clean and was in the ideal location. The hotel, however, was the least of my worries, as I was so nervous to start interning at Grazia, particularly as its a magazine I would absolutely love to work at when I graduate, so I spent the first night finding my work place so I wouldn't be late and panicking about what to wear the next day.
London in the springtime is just beautiful.
It really is funny looking back at my time and realising that everything I worried about was such a waste of time and energy, because as soon as I'd met Grazia's beauty assistant I instantly felt at ease and after getting to know the role in the first day, I loved every minute. My role was quite administrative, working with PRs to call in products for features, dealing with fashion returns, doing some research for features and working on trend reports and, of course, sorting through products in the beauty cupboard, which I can only describe as heaven. Seriously, a room filled with boxes overflowing with the most luxurious beauty products? Now that's what I call life goals haha!
Walking along the Thames in the sunshine.
The office itself was also such a fun environment to be in. Everyone was really friendly and there was always laughter ringing through the room and people hurriedly getting copy and designs in ready to go to press. I just loved the atmosphere as it was so fast-paced and exciting - completely different to any other sort of internship I'd done before - and it made me really so excited to start working (hopefully) sometime at the end of this year!
Exploring London on my lunch break and arriving in St. Martin's Place.

Watching the sunset overlooking St. Paul's Cathedral.
I was so thrilled that I loved the internship, and even happier that I easily fell into routine and completely fell in love with the London lifestyle. While I study at Cardiff, I am originally from a tiny rural town in West Wales, which only had a New Look up until a few years ago, so I was really worried I wouldn't like the crazy business of London. For quite some time I've known that eventually I will have to fly the nest and move away to fulfil my dream career, so these two weeks were almost like a test. 
The London Eye against the bright blue sky.
Covent Garden at Twilight was so pretty.
That being said I absolutely loved it. I loved walking down Oxford Street and seeing the huge stores and the double decker buses whizzing past. I loved meeting friends and going out for dinner and drinks. I loved strolling around Covent Garden during my lunchtime and eating lunch out in the sunshine. I also really enjoyed heading to Hyde Park for an evening run around the Serpentine. The thing about London is, wherever you look there's something new to see, something exciting to explore. It's just such a fantastic city and one that I'm sure you could never get tired of.
Absolutely loved spending time with my favourite lady in London.
During my two weeks my mum also came to visit as me being in London was the perfect excuse for a girly weekend of shopping, right? We spent the weekend eating delicious food, watching Matilda in the West End, shopping and going for runs in Hyde Park. And, of course, we did all of those cute touristy things like posing outside the Houses of Parliament and going to visit the Queen! 
Wining and dining with my friend in Covent Garden.
And as my two weeks in the Big Smoke came to an end, I have to say I was really gutted it was over. I really felt like part of the team at Grazia and absolutely loved everything that London had to offer. It was like coming back to earth with a bump when I arrived home on Saturday evening with a pile of revision to do and an email from our lecturers informing us of the crazy term we have coming up, but it has made me feel extremely determined to work hard to get the chance to work in the magazine industry when I finish in the summer. 
Beautiful blossoms on my (almost) daily runs in Hyde Park.
What's more, I've been asked to go back! I'll be heading back to Grazia in the summer as a fashion intern, which is sooo exciting, and I've decided to start looking for internships and work placements so that I can maybe stay in London for a few months and give it a real test. It may sound ridiculous but I'm so proud of myself for taking this step and for realising that I can move away and achieve my dream. I always thought I would stay in Carmarthen forever, too scared to move away and to leave the comforts of home behind, but now I know that it's something I must try at least, and I'm really excited to give it a go!
Exploring in Portobello Road - London, I'll be back!
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Aw Jessie, I'm so proud of you! Sounds amazing, I definitely want to apply for next summer. Congrats on being asked back! xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! : ) you should definitely give it a go hun! xx

      Delete
  2. Aw this is such a lovely post and sounds like you had the best of times! So glad you enjoyed London, I can't get enough of it!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jasmin : ) I absolutely loved it! xx

      Delete
  3. This was such a lovely positive post :) It sounds like such a fab experience, and congratulations for being asked back!

    A Blonde Moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing time! The London life does sound like an incredible life to live, I really hope everything works out for you xx

    Sophie | www.astoldby-sophie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Grazia, and hope you loved London! I remember the interning days, but i definitely find working in beauty less intimidating then working in fashion - good move :)
    Bethany x
    www.bethanyalicemarie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words : ) xx

      Delete
  6. Oh I love these pictures sooo much!! They bring me such a beautiful feeling! :)

    Theano from FASHIONIZEIN

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so happy for your Internship towards your Masters, love the pictures of London (its on my future travel wish list), and what fun with your Mum!!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing! I love reading Grazia and I really want to become a successful magazine writer.

    Chichi
    chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS