Friday, 20 May 2016

Lifestyle | The best things about summer in Wales.

It's come to my attention recently that I'll soon be finishing education forever. I say that it's come to my attention, when in reality it's all I ever think about. I've spent almost 20 years of my life in education, from when I started as a three-year-old in nursery school to studying my A Levels, getting a First Class degree and now completing my Masters in Journalism, and soon my time studying will be over. While I'm seriously excited to actually have a social life again and to kickstart my career and start working in an industry I'm sure I'll love, it's made me realise that I'm probably going to have to move away from the town I call home and to start fresh in some place new.

Walking along at Wiseman's Bridge.
 This terrifies me because I absolutely love where I live. Okay, so it's the teeniest little Welsh town where everyone knows everyone and you can't go to Tesco in your onesie because you're guaranteed to see at least ten people you know. Yes, it's in the middle of nowhere and most of my weekends as a teenager were spent aimlessly wondering around the town centre, which until only very recently had a New Look and a Woolworths to keep you entertained (a few years ago we actually got a Topshop and a River Island!). And the majority of the time the weather is so crap that any hopes of wearing a summer dress for a night out in the town's only nightclub are shattered. 
How beautiful is Tenby on a summer's day?
Sounds like a place you want to visit, right? Well, that's pretty much what the whole of Wales is like. While Cardiff is filled with gorgeous shops, swanky bars and cosmopolitan restaurants, the majority of the country couldn't be more different. But that's exactly what I love about living in Wales. The fact that a car journey that takes just half an hour ends with me being in Tenby, one of the most beautiful seaside towns you can imagine, with brightly painted rows of houses built high on a cliff overlooking the harbour and winding streets filled with tiny pubs, ice cream parlours and surf shops galore. 
The view from the top of Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons
And if I drive about an hour to the East I come to the beautiful Brecon Beacons, a mountain range with the highest peak in South Wales, from which you can see rolling green fields of farmland stretching out across the horizon, broken only by small towns and villages and the odd crumbling castle where for centuries it has stood proudly.

The view from Cefn Sidan Beach in Pembrey.
In just over a ten minute car journey from the town centre you come to Llansteffan, a tiny village by the sea that boasts golden sands and an almighty castle. Now I spend my time there with my boyfriend Dan taking our dogs for a walk, or with my friends and their little ones building sandcastles and searching for starfish, but when we were in school we would build log fires there and have BBQs on the beach as the sun went down. Just across the estuary is Cefn Sidan and on a clear day it provides the most amazing sunsets that easily rival the ones I've seen whilst on holiday abroad.
My favourite place, Saundersfoot.
People complain that there's "nothing" in Wales, but that's the absolute beauty of it. The peace and quiet, the fact that you can hear the waves crashing into the shoreline as you breathe in the fresh sea air, and the fact that you can go for a walk in the countryside and be disturbed by nothing apart from your own thoughts. The fact these beautiful places are left unspoiled, reserved only for nature and those who go out and seek it. 
The perfect location for an evening run.
I've been thinking lately that this may be my last full summer living in my hometown for a little while as I fly the nest to put all I've learnt in my two decades of education into practice, and this makes me really sad. I have so many happy memories of growing up in Wales, so this year I'm determined to explore as much of my homeland as time and money will allow and it's made me think that more travel bloggers should too. There is so much to do here, so many beautiful places to visit and so many towns, beaches and mountains to explore. 

Have you ever visited Wales?
Lots of love,
Jessie. xoxo

28 comments:

  1. it sounds like such a wonderful place! i'm sure if you do move away, it's great that you have somewhere lovely to go to and visit occasionally. love the photos! x

    www.thedressdiaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! : ) Yes that's true, although I think I'll definitely move back after a few years! xx

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful and you're so lucky to be living so close to the coast! I live close to London and whilst I love the hustle and bustle I can imagine it must be incredible living in such a calm and serene place! Great idea to make the most of it before you fly the nest.

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you : ) I definitely am lucky! I think that's where I'm planning to look for work so it'll be such a huge change. xx

      Delete
  3. Omg, I actually just blogged about my trip to Tenby! It's a lovely place but I've yet to climb the Brecon Becons x

    Sofea
    www.thesofeablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read it : ) Looks like you had a lovely time. xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos - I used to go camping with family/friends in Llandudno for years x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ventured very far up North but am planning to this summer : ) Thank you! xx

      Delete
  5. I went on holiday to Tenby/ Saundersfoot last August! Such beautiful beaches :)
    Leah x

    http://leahclarkie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) It's lovely there isn't it? xx

      Delete
  6. It's always the places close to home we take forgranted right! I loved North Wales when I've been a few times - can't wait to explore some more, I really want to go to the Brecon Beacons soon too!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! You should definitely visit the Brecon Becaons - they're so pretty : ) xx

      Delete
  7. Love the breath taking views of Wales and I definitely want to visit someday! Funny thing here in the heart of Virginia (United States), everyone locally says there is "nothing" to do or see in Lynchburg, which is a small city/college town!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) Haha I'm sure it's very busy there compared to Wales. It's definitely somewhere you should visit :D xx

      Delete
  8. Your pictures are stunning Jessie!! I've visited Swansea a few times years ago, I remember going to Mumbles which was beautiful. Good luck starting your career :)

    Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! : ) Yes I love Mumbles! We always tend to go West but definitely want to visit the Gower more this summer xx

      Delete
  9. I've always wanted to visit Wales! The photographs are giving me so much wanderlust right now! Just clicked on the link to follow you on Bloglovin' :) x
    Lots of love, Jane
    Marble and Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful place to live : ) Thank you for following lovely - I'll be sure to check out your blog! xx

      Delete
  10. Ah I miss Uk so much. I wanted to visit Wales but unfortunately couldn't. Your pictures makes me want to go back to UK.

    Sam || Beautydetour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you need to make a trip back and come to Wales : ) xx

      Delete
  11. I never really realised Wales was so beautiful, I will definitely have to visit! That is one of the one things I missed about university, walking around and bumping into so many people, such a lovely feeling. London can be very lonely...

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really what I'm worrying about when I move away :( I hate the thought of being lonely! You'll definitely have to visit Wales someday Sally : ) xx

      Delete
  12. Wales seems like such a beautiful place! Loved the photos by the way x

    http://wanderlustgirl-kb.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, it's really beautiful : ) xx

      Delete
  13. Fabulous photos!! Breathtaking views! That top outfit is wonderful!! You look gorgeous love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jessie-Ann :) Thank you for visiting my blog! I love travel posts and these pictures are gorgeous! Looks lovely and romantic :)

    Eb x

    wwww.eboniivory.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS