Wednesday, 25 May 2016

May 2016 Beauty Favourites.


It's been quite a while since I shared some of my beauty favourites on here and quite some time since I properly sat down to plan blog posts too, If I'm honest. I'm currently just two weeks away from finishing my finals so life is a little hectic at the moment, but I'll soon be back with lots of exciting posts and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!


Last month I did an internship at Grazia and worked on the beauty desk (you can read all about it here), so when I finished I was absolutely over the moon to receive a bag filled with new beauty products to try, especially as I haven't been able to treat myself to any high-end products in the past few months whilst studying full time. The bag was filled with gorgeous makeup bits and I've been slowly making my way through them all, so for today's post I thought I'd share the favourites I've been using this month. (Yes, I know we still have about a week left of May but I have my blogging break this eve and want to make the most of it!)

This is not a Grazia gifted product but one that I bought a few weeks ago (actually nearly three months now) when I ran out of foundation and one that I've been loving ever since. It's taken me ages to find a foundation that suits my skin type. I'm rather oily so want something that's not too heavy, but also with enough pigmentation to give a flawless coverage and to cover some acne scars. I'm pleased to say I've finally found the one and I'm so thankful. I mean, testing out foundations can be pretty expensive! 

The coverage of this is perfect and it gives such a natural, dewy finish without making my skin all gross and oily. This is a godsend for me as I've always wanted to rock the dewy look, but have never been able to because of my oily skin type. I used it throughout my internships in London and Bristol, often wearing product for over 12 hours a day, and am really so impressed with how well it stays on and how it hasn't clogged my skin or caused breakouts. I have had more makeup-free days thanks to being a revision hermit, but I am so impressed with the longevity of this product and will definitely be repurchasing. Read my full review if you want to know more!


I've never actually owned a Chanel product before so was delighted to find this in my beauty bag, and I will have a full review coming up very soon. There are various ways to use this product, including as a subtle highlighter after applying foundation, but I feel it works best as a primer. I apply using my fingers in circular motions all over the face and I really love how it makes my skin brighter and helps to even out discolourations. I have really red patches around my nose and the centre of my face and find applying this primer gives a really even complexion for my foundation to work with. The consistency is quite "sticky" - if that makes sense - and I like this as I feel it helps ensure my foundation stays put throughout the day. It also gives a lovely glow and I feel the primer-foundation-combo I have going on at the minute is really working a treat!


I did a full in-depth review of this just last week but I couldn't not add it to my favourites as it's a product I've really fallen in love with, especially as the weather has been so nice and it adds a lovely springtime feel to my makeup look. I love how you basically have a highlighter and a blush in one, and I particularly love the finish when you blend the two together; it's a natural rosy glow that gives a slight flush to the cheeks without leaving you looking like a Barbie doll. 

I also just love the packaging. There's something about Estee Lauder that's so cool and classy and I feel like this is epitomised in this blush. The compact mirror and brush also add to the easiness of the use of the product and it's just something that looks so pretty in my makeup bag, and even prettier when opened up!


This is another brand that I hadn't tried before and one that I must say I've been really impressed with. I just love this mascara and have used it on a daily basis since I received it in my beauty bag. The packaging is gorgeous - it's really eye catching with cute little stars and a metallic feel - and makes it really easy to find in my makeup stash. Givenchy's mascaras take on the looks of three major fashion capitals - New York, Paris and Tokyo - and this particular one is the limited edition of New York. I can definitely see why they've used this particular packaging for NYC and I love the whole idea.

I also love the wand. It's a really unique shape and one I've not actually seen before, but the spherical shapes help to ensure that every part of the lash is covered whilst giving ultimate volume and curl. I find that this mascara gives such a lovely finish to the eyes that you can get away without applying liquid eyeliner. It's bold and strong giving ultimate definition to the lashes. Get your hands on it quickly!


One thing I cannot live without is a subtle matte eyeshadow to wear on a daily basis. I personally love experimenting with smoky eyes and intricate makeup looks, but when I'm rushing in the morning to get to work or lectures on time a matte brown does the trick, and Handwritten is a new favourite. It's almost like a reddish-brown shade, which gives a nice vibrancy and a finish that is a little different from your usual brown mattes, and I've been really impressed with the pigmentation and longevity. I do find that some product can gather in the crease of the eyelids at times, particularly after a long day, but I'm not sure if this is due to the much warmer weather we've been having lately. Nevertheless, I really like the shade so I think I'll start wearing it with an eyeshadow primer to see if that makes a difference. I'm not quite sure I could justify £13 for it though, but I'm sure it's a product I'll wear almost daily! 


After two weeks of work experience in London it was only fair that I treated myself to a little product that I'd had my eye on for some time. I'm just loving how the beauty blogosphere has gone crazy for highlighters lately and felt I needed to get my hands on my own. This is a slow-baked mineral finishing powder which gives the perfect amount of shimmer to the skin to achieve a natural, glowing highlight. You can apply all over the skin, though I feel like that would look a little too much, or in specific areas such as above the cheekbones and under the brows to highlight and create some definition. I'm personally loving this product and while it's not one I reach for daily it's definitely the perfect addition to a full-face makeup look or if you're heading on a date night or out with friends over the summer months. I also feel like this product will probably last me about 500 years as a little really goes a long way. 

What products have you been loving lately?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I have been loving my SuperGoop and other Sunscreen and/or selftanners! Esp it finally warming up here in Virginia (its been a cool and wet May)!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I haven't heard of that brand - will definitely have to look into it! It's warming up here too which is lovely : ) xx

      Delete
  2. That blush is seriously stunning! I really want to get one :)

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty isn't it?! Treat yourself ; ) xx

      Delete
  3. love the dior foundation!! amazing product

    This Girl Loves Chic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree hun - it's amazing! xx

      Delete
  4. These all look amazing! When I saw the brush for the Givenchy mascara, I wondered if it would actually work, or be too big for my eyes, but your review made me reconsider. Just found you through twitter and gave you a cheeky follow on bloglovin xx

    http://wanderlustgirl-kb.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment : ) I'll be sure to follow back! I really do love the brush. It's so good! xx

      Delete
  5. These all sound amazing, I love reading about other people's favourite picks. I've always heard such good things about the Dior foundation, no idea why I haven't tried it yet - definitely popping that on my wishlist :)

    Claire | Vanity Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. MACs Soft and Gentle is the nicest highlighter ever, I adore it!! Great favourites and really pretty blog
    -Alice
    alicejlorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS