Monday, 2 May 2016

Perfect Prom Style with Boohoo.com*.

Summer is technically here and for many young ladies it's a time of endings, as they are leaving school, college and university ready to start the next chapter in their lives. It's a really exciting time and gives a chance to look ahead to the future, but that's not without leaving the current chapter with a bang! And what better way to do that than at prom?!

I grew up in a small Welsh town so proms were a relatively new thing when I was at school. We had Christmas balls and an end of year summer ball having completed our A Level exams, but in the lead up to the big day it would be all that anyone would talk about! A lot of us girls skipped a lesson or two to go and get our hair and makeup done, and the worry of turning up in the same dress as someone else truly was real. I absolutely loved every prom I attended at school, and loved my university Journalism Society balls even more, so when Boohoo asked if I'd like to collaborate and style a prom dress I jumped at the chance. 
 For me, the perfect prom dress is sleek and sophisticated yet cool and comfortable so I opted for this gorgeous midi dress, which you can buy here, with subtle details that add a little chic to the outfit. Firstly, how beautiful is the colour? It's the perfect shade IMO, and ideal for a prom as you can add a little glitz without being too much. I also feel like it suits my hair colour and skin tone, so picking an outfit that works well with your colouring is a great idea.

One of my favourite things about the dress is the plunging neckline. I'm always quite conscious about wearing dresses that show off some flesh, but as the dress is of a longer length you can get away with showing a little cleavage I think. It gives the dress a unique twist and I love the hold of the dress so it keeps things tucked tightly in place! A strapless bra is also a must for a dress like this, and I would personally recommend this strapless bra from Debenhams.
I also absolutely love the criss cross back of the dress. The spaghetti straps add to that sophisticated feel and it gives the illusion of a backless finish, which is a trend I'm really loving at the moment. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing strapless dresses. As much as I love the look I spend most of my time hoisting the dress up to ensure it doesn't slip down, so the subtle straps of this dress are a great way to get a similar look whilst keeping it comfortable. It was also pretty fun to dress up as a prom queen!

I styled the dress really simply, with gold earrings, black and gold heels and my Michael Kors watch and Pandora rings. For a dress that has these quirky details - such as the intricate hemline - I think it's a good idea to keep your accessories clean-cut and simple. Barely there heels are also a great way to add a little class to your outfit. I just love how chic they make an outfit.

I also teamed the look with a subtle smoky eye and a deep red lip to match the colour of the dress. When you keep your accessories simple I feel you can get away with a bright lip and some bold eyeshadows, and I really love matching my lip colour with my outfit colour. 
So there we have it, the key ingredients to the perfect prom look. A dress that flatters with pretty details to make a statement. A bold colour scheme that suits your skin tone and a rocking lippy to match. Simple accessories that don't take away from the dress. And, of course, a cute crown! Boohoo have an incredible range of prom dresses to choose from that won't break the bank, and so many of them have a style that could be reworked in a variety of ways. I'm seriously gutted I don't have a prom or special occasion to wear them to!

What's your perfect prom style?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

19 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this dress! I may not be going to prom, but I will find somewhere to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ariana : ) I wore mine for a friend's birthday. xx

      Delete
  2. I purchased two dresses for Boohoo two weeks ago for a wedding I am attending in June, and I love them!!! And so affordable! I am very pleased with my picks and Boohoo never fails to please me :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fab! I would love to see those dresses : ) I agree. Great prices and fab quality! xx

      Delete
  3. You look stunning! That dress is literally perfection, I feel it would be great for so many occasions since it's very classy and sophisticated. I feel it would be especially fitting for a Christmas party because of the deep purply red colour. The gold jewelry and the gold on your heels goes so well with it too! I love Boohoo, they've got such a large variety of everything. Definitely one of my favourite online shops!

    www.saarasofia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment :) I agree it would be perfect for Christmas! At least I have lots of excuses to wear it again hehe xx

      Delete
  4. Such a stunning dress, the colour is gorgeous!

    lifeinthefashionlanee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love the colour : ) xx

      Delete
  5. Such a gorgeous dress and so flattering! Great choice!

    Katya | The Beauty Harbour

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress, the colour suits you so well!


    Parie x
    classandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is faaab-u-lous on you!! I was lucky enough to get to choose a dress for this campaign too and don't remember seeing this one - it's a beauty! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw amazing! What did you go for? I'll have to check out your blog! Thanks so much lovely : ) xx

      Delete
  8. WOW!!! Breathtaking!!! That dress is gorgeous...as are you!!! You are so beautiful love!! :) Amazing photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look lovely in that dress! :)

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colour of this dress and the detail at the bottom! I love Boohoo for their dresses, You look so pretty too xx

    Sinead | www.subjectbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS