Thursday, 30 June 2016

REVIEW | Redken Pillow Proof Blow-dry Express Treatment Primer Cream.

If you had to choose one mundane task that you know is really necessary, but is also really boring and just a downright nuisance, what would you choose? For me, hands down, it’s blow-drying my hair after giving it a good scrub in the shower.

While I may feel like a Herbal Essences model whilst in the tub, I spend the majority of my time post-shower scrolling through Instagram as I lie on my bed like a sloth wrapped in a towel; but leaving my hair dry naturally results in me resembling Hagrid or a scarecrow. (My hair is fairly straight, but that doesn’t stop it from looking wispy and frizzy!)

This means that properly drying my hair is something I just have to do, particularly if I have an event coming up or want to style my hair properly. So when luxury hair care brand Redken got in touch asking if I’d like to try my hand at their Pillow Proof Blow-dry Express TreatmentPrimer Cream that helps to speed up the blow-drying time, I jumped at the chance! I was also pretty intrigued. I mean, I’ve tried my hand at a few makeup primers, but never heard of one for the hair…


If you’ve not heard of Redken before, it’s a brand that was founded by Paula Kent in 1960 and since then has revolutionised hair care through offering hairstyling and education alongside their luxury products, and teaching people all about the importance of nourishing and looking after your hair. They have a range of really lovely products and also do styling at Fashion Weeks, so blend fashion and trends with high quality to produce products that make a difference.  

The Pillow Proof primer cream claims to leave your hair feeling “3x stronger and healthier” thanks to the following benefits:
  •  Features anti-breakage formula
  •  Cuts down on blow dry time
  •   Protects from heat up to 450 degrees
  •   Extra lightweigh
  •   Amplifies benefits from styling products
I was sent a standard-sized primer that comes in a bottle with a handy pump to squeeze out the product, and I was also sent a little travel-sized tube. I love this as I’m jetting off on Monday to Bulgaria for a week, and the tube means I can take the primer away with me without taking up space and weight in my suitcase.

The packaging is really lovely. It’s bright pink and super girly, and I also love the way the bottle has a pump that is built to minimise potential leaks. It’s basically a flat top with a teeny hole, and all you need to do is press down to squeeze out some product. I guess the only negative is that when it starts to run out you may have to start prising open the bottle in order to use up the entire product.

The product itself feels almost sticky to touch, but once in the hair it feels quite soft and smells lovely. I apply the primer through the hair, adding a little extra to the tips and sparsely applying to the roots so as not to make my hair greasy and weigh it down too much. I then brush it through as normal. It makes brushing your hair so much easier thanks to the smoothing abilities of the product.

I tend to leave my hair with the product in for a few minutes or so before blow-drying, as I want it to sink in completely and I don’t like blow-drying my hair when it’s completely soaking wet as it can cause damage and breakage. I was really interested to see whether the primer would speed up the whole drying process and I’m pleased to report… it really does! What would usually have taken a good fifteen to twenty minutes has been cut down to 5-10 minute job, which to me is really amazing! It also frees up even more time to aimlessly scroll through Instagram without having to worry about Hagrid hair.

What I really love about the product though, is how it has really helped to keep any hair styling in place, but without leaving my hair feeling heavy and greasy. I tend to wash my hair every other night, but could easily go a little longer when using this product thanks to the fact that it is very lightweight and volumous. It almost has a mattifying effect, which I guess is the whole basis of a primer; to ensure styles stay in place all day without getting oily and shiny! I really love this as my hair, despite being frizzy on the ends, gets really limp at the root, so anything to help maintain volume is a bonus!

I’m not completely sure on the anti-breakage properties of the primer, as I do find my hair feels quite matted at times when using this product and it needs brushing through a lot more often than normally. I usually use hair oils on the ends so I guess the fact that it boosts volume and is mattifying will take some time to get used to. However, as it prevents oil and helps to hold styles, I’ve found myself reaching for the primer much more than my usual hair oils.

The primer is priced at £17 and I definitely think it’s worth the price. You get a load of product and it has really amazing properties. The fact that it speeds up blow-drying time won me over, and the volumising, holding properties of the primer are an added bonus! I will definitely continue to purchase this product when I run out, though I don’t think that will be for quite some time…

Have you tried a hair primer before?
Lots of love,
Jessie. Xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I'm in need of a new heat protector and I love products that are multi use! I always find products like this to weigh my hair down, so this sounds perfect if it leaves your hair feeling light weight :) x

    Jodie | jodiemelissa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love this one I'm sure Jodie : ) xx

      Delete
  2. These sound amazing!

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great detailed review, I may give this a try!

    Anything & Everything | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this primer too, how amazing is the smell?! xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great! Thanks for the review!


    Sarah x
    www.palmtreesandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your hair post and YES hair primers is a most for my dry, frizzy mess of hair which tends to tangle easily without a heat protect to coat my strands before blow drying it straight!! I have tried this sample in the past and it was great for my hair type!!

    Ursula

    www.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely : ) I'm glad it worked for you! xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS