Thursday, 28 July 2016

5 reasons why it's good to take a break from blogging...

It’s safe to say, I’ve been letting my little blog down lately, but whenever blogging starts to feel like a chore, I know it’s time for a break. For me, blogging is a hobby. Yes, it’s something that has really helped me develop enormously in terms of my career choice, as it provides endless opportunities to master journalistic skills, but first and foremost this is my creative space and I want it to feel that way.

The past few weeks I’ve been super busy. I’ve been away on holiday, I’ve been working away, I’ve been writing my thesis, I’ve been in London. Life has just been seriously hectic, and honestly I’ve felt like I haven’t had time to breathe. I decided to put my blog on hold for a week or so, but kept working on my social media channels, and now I’m back feeling super refreshed and brimming with ideas. So, for today’s post, I thought I’d share the reasons why I feel taking a blogging break is a good idea, even though your stats may show otherwise.


1.  It gives you time to get inspired

Personally, I hate churning out new content just for the sake of it, and like my blog posts to be interesting, new, unique and well thought through. That’s why I feel it’s good to give myself a little break at times, as it gives me time to think through new ideas and decide on the direction my blog is going to go in. I love reading magazines and other blogs during my break to see what sorts of things people are enjoying working on at the moment, and I come back with lots of new ideas to get my teeth stuck into. I'm also really looking forward to getting a new blog design in the next few weeks. I feel like it's much needed!

2.     My content improves

Similarly to what I said earlier, taking time out means when I’m back I really want to work hard and want to see an improvement in my content. The time taken away from my blog, and just to get inspired and to see what others are doing, fills my head with new ideas and makes me ever more determined to succeed in the blogosphere. 

3.     It gives you time to work on other aspects of blogging/social media

My blog may have been lacking in content, but I was really working hard on my Instagram account and have seen some great improvements in terms of followers, interactivity and engagement. I love tweeting, but Instagram has to be my favourite social media platform, though I find growth to be really slow on there. It’s really nice to actually see my hard work paying off, and you can help too by giving me a little follow here (*shameless plug alert*).

4.     I actually had time to do other things in the evenings

Y’know, like watching TOWIE, painting my nails and eating food. All that kind of comes second best to blogging most days so it was nice to unwind without being in front of a computer screen in the evenings. It really works wonders for the brain and leaves me feeling relaxed and refreshed, all of which aids in helping my little brain work harder.

5.     It allows me to fall in love with blogging again

We all know that blogging involves so much freaking work, and most of us do it for absolutely nothing. Sure we get to go to great events, collaborate with fantastic brands, and blogging opens doors to amazing opportunities. But that’s not without all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes. Writing, photographing, tweeting, scheduling, planning, brainstorming. Blogging is like a full-time job on top of a full-time job or studies and it can all get a little too much; but taking time out reminds me of just how much I love it. I love having a place to express myself creatively, both through writing and photography. I love chatting to likeminded ladies and making amazing new friends. I love how blogging has helped me grow in confidence and I love seeing how much my writing and photography improves month by month. Taking time away definitely makes me appreciate blogging so much, and makes me realise that it’s something I couldn’t ever live without.

Do you ever take time out from blogging?
Lots of love,

Jessie. xoxo

28 comments:

  1. I love to take a break now and then. I usually have posts scheduled a few weeks in advance so then I find I can take a break and not worry. It definitely helps refresh your mind.

    Emmy | EmmysBeautyCave | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be more organised and had time to get posts written up to schedule! I'm determined to get on track when I finish my dissertation next month xx

      Delete
  2. Such a relatable post - I love blogging but sometimes it defo does feel like a chore as opposed to a hobby, and you can see a difference in the quality. I guess for those who have other commitments, sometimes blogging has to take a back seat.


    - Lubna | The Digital Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I totally agree with you there. xx

      Delete
  3. This is so true. I recently took a break and it seemed to have reignited my love for blogging again! Glad to be back :) It's definitely important to take a break once and awhile!

    Lotte | www.lottebeautybox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you :) I feel happy to be back too! xx

      Delete
  4. This is sooo true! I'm planning a break soon to just have some time to do other things, improve the content on my blog and work on social media!

    Lauren x | http://www.huggled.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made such a difference taking time out : ) xx

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with all your points here, Jessie! My blog is my hobby, and I want to keep it as something I absolutely love, and not as something that I feel is a chore! Whenever I feel like I'm 'forcing it', I know it's time to take a little step back, and like you say, it gives you time to really get inspired again!

    Soph x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) I'm glad there are so many others that feel like me. I always feel guilty when I don't blog but it's so important to take that time out. xx

      Delete
  6. this is very true! sometimes blogging starts to feel like a chore instead of a hobby so some time away is needed! But it's my baby at the end of the day.

    G x

    www.teawithgi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's mine too but time out is sometimes needed haha : ) xx

      Delete
  7. I couldn't agree more there's nothing worse than writing for writings sakes, it's so obvious!

    http://www.thebutter.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) it's so nice that people agree. xx

      Delete
  8. So so true! A break means some time to refresh and find inspiration again! Lovely post :)
    Ambar | Her Little Loves

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to this so so much! All the points were like made for me haha. And I totally love your instagram account, is goals!

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much!! : ) Made my day as I've been working so hard on it! xx

      Delete
  10. I was nodding along while reading this post, Jessie! Couldn't agree more with every point you made. Every time I take a break from blogging or even a little "day off" here and there (either it's planned or whenever life happens) I feel so much better coming back to blogging, so much more inspired and happy about my blog :) Great post, girlie!
    P.S. I am at your blog for the 1st time but loving your content. Will make sure to add you on socials and Bloglovin', lovely.
    My links are over my blog if you'd like to pop over and say hey. It's always great to come across fab fellow bloggers, isn't it? ;)
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much Nadia : ) I'm so glad you liked the post and thank you so much for the follow. I'll be sure to follow back and check out your blog! xx

      Delete
  11. Great post! Always important to take a step back and disconnect for a while.

    Xx
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I 100% agree with everything you've said here! I used to feel so guilty when I took time off and would force myself to continue despite not really being into it. Now if I want to take a few days off, I will, and I'll come back feeling so much better for it!

    Glad to hear your break helped :)

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I totally agree - it always helps! : ) Thank you for reading. xx

      Delete
  13. I agreed with the things you have said. Great post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I really love this site. It is very informative. I will bookmark and share to my friends. Thank you very much. http://www.psychicreadingrooms.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a great website that is for TOEIC. Thanks for your great effort.

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS