Friday, 12 August 2016

#AfternoonTeaWeek | Hendrick's Afternoon Tea & Spa at Park Plaza Cardiff*.

I hate tea. There I said it. I must be the only British person on the planet who doesn't actually like a cuppa, and the thought of dunking a biscuit into a cup of boiling liquid makes me shudder. But thanks to the Hendrick's Afternoon Tea & Spa Package at Park Plaza Cardiff, I can still go out and enjoy an Afternoon Tea filled with cute teapots and teacups, finger sandwiches and lots of cakes, because the teapot is instead filled with a cucumber and gin cocktail! (Now, that's what you call an Afternoon Tea!)

This week is National #AfternoonTeaWeek and I was invited by the lovely Bethan at Park Plaza to try out their Hendrick's Afternoon Tea and Spa Package. It's safe to say I was seriously excited as I was so in need of a spa day. I've been working tirelessly on my thesis over the last few weeks and have become a ball of tension and anxiety, so a day of relaxation and mindfulness was exactly what was needed. I went along with my mum and we had such a lovely afternoon. 
The Hendrick's Afternoon Tea and Spa Package is priced at £55 for weekdays and £65 for weekends, and is available every day. It includes a delicious afternoon tea and a choice between a Laguna Signature Back Massage or a Laguna Signature Facial at Park Plaza's fantastic health spa. We opted for a back massage having had one previously (seriously so amazing), and after spending a little time chilling in our robes and slippers in the Laguna Spa's relaxation room, we headed to receive our treatments. 
There are eight treatment rooms in the Laguna Spa, all of which are dimly lit and filled with scented candles and Elemis spa products. I love Elemis' skincare range as they work wonders on the skin, leaving it feeling so soft and smooth and smelling absolutely wonderful, and the Laguna Back Massage feels just insane. It's quite vigorous, although you can ask your therapist to increase or decrease the pressure to suit, but it's perfect for easing stress and tension. I actually am in a lot of pain at the moment at the top of my back and across my shoulders after working a little too hard in the gym a few days ago (yep, you know the kind of work out where you can't lift your arms for the next few days?), but the massage worked wonders to help relieve a few of those aches and pains. They also use a brush at the start to get those nerves tingling, and finish the massage with an invigorating scrub leaving your skin feel fresh and new.
After a wonderful massage it's so nice to just sit back and relax in Laguna's relaxation room. There are several beds with snuggly blankets so you can lie down and slowly come back to your senses, and one of the walls is made completely of glass so you can look out of the window at the leafy canopies and really feel at one with nature. It's really amazing how you feel like you're in a quiet, peaceful haven in one of the UK's busiest cities. 
The same can be said for the pool. It's 20metres long and has a glass wall, which also looks out into the trees, and also has a jacuzzi. We chilled here for a half hour or so after receiving our treatment and actually met two people who live near our hometown and know a lot of our friends! Wales really is such a small country. 
The Afternoon Tea was something I was really looking forward to, as I'd never had one before and I absolutely love sandwiches and cakes. The teapots and teacups were really quirky and cool, quoting some of Britain's most timeless writers and the pot itself was filled with a delicious Hendrick's Elderflower Collins cocktail. This consists of Hendrick's gin, St Germain elderflower liquor, Maraschino liquor, lemon juice and soda, and comes with cucumber to really induce the flavour. I'm not the biggest lover of gin, but the cocktail was so tasty and super refreshing - the perfect treat after a spa treatment. I'll definitely be ordering it again when I next return to Park Plaza. 
We had a selection of finger sandwiches - ham, egg, salmon and cucumber to be precise - as well as some freshly baked scones which were still warm from the oven and a selection of pastries and cakes.  It comes on a tower to share between two, and my favourite was probably the delicious lime jelly. It was really sweet and a lovely accompaniment to the cocktail. I'd probably prefer some more savoury snacks as there were a lot of sweet treats and I don't have the biggest sweet tooth, and for the price it would probably be better to have a little more food. It was the perfect amount for my mum and I, but I know if I'd taken Dan along he'd have needed something more to fill his mammoth appetite. Nevertheless, the food was really delicious and I left with a small, and very happy, food baby.
Once again we had a wonderful afternoon at Park Plaza. It's my third time visiting the Laguna Spa and my second time trying out the food there and I really can't fault it. The facilities are spotless, the staff are super friendly and the location is just perfect. It's bang in the centre of Cardiff, just a stone's throw away from the shops and a quick walk to the train station, so if you're ever visiting Cardiff and are looking for a luxury place to stay I can't recommend it enough. I also have to give special mention to the spa's receptionist Tressa for her amazing service today, and for showing us around so brilliantly.

Have you visited Park Plaza's Laguna Spa?
Where's your favourite place to go for Afternoon Tea?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Those desserts look to die for! Hope you had a lovely time :)
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks amazing, I'd love a day there xx
    Glossy Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely look into it : ) xx

      Delete
  3. This was a great read and certainly looks like a fab place to visit when I return to Uni in September! Im going to a Spa in Cardiff on Friday and it is so needed!

    Shan | missshanlouise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect study break! :) Where are you heading on Friday? Have a lovely time! xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS