Wednesday, 31 August 2016

AUGUST 2016 | LIFE LATELY...

I cannot believe we've reached the end of August. It's absolutely crazy. We really are coming to the end of 2016 now and I can still remember New Year's Day as though it was yesterday! I am super excited for September though. I absolutely love the autumn and the transition from summer to autumn especially, as it's so lovely having crisp, sunny mornings and seeing the leaves start to change colour on the trees. It's almost like a second spring and I look forward to it every year. 

August has been a bit of a roller coaster month for me, and indeed my family, as there have been some really great highs, and sadly some lows. Two of my family members went into hospital for surgery this month, one planned and one unexpected, and my poor nan was also bed bound for the first two weeks as she is awaiting a hip operation. I was also seriously stressing out about my university work and was unfortunately ill after burning myself to the ground and taking on too much. 

It kind of put everything into perspective for me and made me realise that I need to take time to look after myself, and also that, no matter how much I try to convince myself, I'm not superwoman. I always feel like I should do everything I possibly can; saying yes to every opportunity and trying to squeeze everything in to my already hectic life. But after those first two weeks of the month I realised that I was putting far too much pressure on myself, and decided to take some time out to focus on getting my thesis finished and to get myself well and healthy again. It's safe to say it was very much needed. 

Thankfully, as I'm writing this, everything seems to be on the up. My family members are well again, I myself am feeling fit, healthy and strong, and I'm at the very final stages of finishing my dissertation, which makes me very excited! Seriously, what am I going to do when I have no uni work to constantly worry about?! 

As I was putting photos together for today's post I realised that I've had some truly lovely times in August and, despite the business and stress, I've got a lot to be grateful for. We've had some beautiful weather (for Wales at least) and I've spent a lot of time out and about compiling photography for the website I'm creating as part of my dissertation - be sure to keep your eyes peeled when I announce it on Twitter soon! We visited some places that I'd never even seen before, particularly Porthgain and Abereiddy, which you can read about here, and Skrinkle Haven, which is this beautifully hidden beach a few miles away from Tenby. Wales seriously is a gem and I'm definitely going to miss these beautiful summer days when the autumn sets in. 

I also went to my first ever Ladies Day at Ffos Las Racecourse, and it was one of the best days of the year. I went with old school friends, and two of my Cardiff housemates joined us, and it was so lovely to have all my best friends together in one place, especially as I haven't seen most of them for weeks as we've all been so busy. We were glammed up in our dresses and fascinators, and even won £3 on the races (big spenders over here *waves*), and it was such a beautifully sunny day. It just felt so summery - does that even make sense?! We all loved it, even if we did spend the majority of the day moaning about our toes getting mutilated by our strappy heels!

Today is my mum's birthday and I've just returned from a meal with the family to celebrate. I spent yesterday baking a delicious birthday cake with my nan and while I may not be gracing GBBO with my presence any time soon, it tasted pretty damn good. As for September, I'm looking forward, first and foremost, to getting this dissertation out of the way. It's honestly taken over MY LIFE and the day I kiss it goodbye is going to be one of the greatest! Celebrations are definitely in order and luckily I'll be spending mine on holiday in Greece. I can't bloody wait...

How has your August been?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear August has ended well for you! Your photos look beautiful. Fingers crossed for the dissertation :) x

    Everything But The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, in terms of disbelief at how quickly this year has gone by! I guess time does fly when you're busy with various activities - it's always good to slow down when things are going so fast paced sometimes.

    Sorry to hear about the tough times and glad things are on the up :)

    - Lubna | The Digital Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lubna : ) I agree.. everything gets so hectic at times! xx

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your family members lovely but so glad everyone is better now. I know how it feels to need to be superwoman but just remember that you can't do everything. Take your time and pace yourself, once Uni is over you need a big ole break!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you hun, you're totally right! It all gets a bit much sometimes. I'm actually heading away to Greece after my dissertation is done so I can't bloody wait! xx

      Delete
  4. Seems like a whirlwind of a month. So glad it ended with something lovely. May September be amazing :)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome that you got to visit some places I spent most of August sick with a darn flu.


    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw noo :( I hope you feel better soon! xx

      Delete
  6. Aww it's always good to be positive. Good luck with your dissertation, I remember what it felt like when I did mine 7 years ago (time flys!) stay positive it will all be worth it when it's done :)

    Pinar xo

    beautybakingbella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I seriously can't wait for it to be finished now.. This is my second one and it's been worse than the first haha. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, I absolutely love all of your pictures :)
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw hope your family are all ok, and hope you’re ok! Have a lovely time in Greece and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS