Sunday, 14 August 2016

Lifestyle | Putting my wellbeing first.

I am a self-confessed perfectionist. I always work as hard as I possibly can to the be the best at whatever I set my mind to. Whether it's an exam or anything academically-related, working on improving my blog, or even striving to run faster or work harder in the gym, I'm always pushing myself to reach a new target. I wouldn't say I'm a competitive person as such, but I am competitive with myself, and this can often result in me burning the candle at both ends and forgetting to put my wellbeing first. 
I currently feel like I'm at a personal crossroads. As dramatic as this sounds, for the first time in my life I have no solid "plan" and this terrifies me. While September signifies the end of the year for many, for me it's a time of new beginnings. It always meant a new year at school or university, and I'd get so excited to get back into routine and to tackle the year ahead. This year, however, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to be doing a few weeks from now, and it's absolutely petrifying. I need to start looking ahead at jobs and internships, but I'm currently bogged down in thesis hell and everything is starting to take its toll. 
Juggling writing my thesis, blogging, working in retail, freelancing, training and having a social life, along with the stress about whether I'm going to find a job, where said job will be, and whether anyone will ever hire me in the first place is pretty exhausting. To top it all off, I've been struck down with a chest infection and have been suffering with gastritis, and I came to the realisation last week that it was time to start thinking of myself and my health. I've been working so hard to get my thesis in shape, working from early morning until gone midnight, and taking a break only to work out. My soul needed a little self-love. 

Yesterday I stepped away from my laptop and headed West to the sea for the day with Dan, something we haven't done for so long. I don't know about you, but I find the sea instantly calming. As I breathe in the fresh salty air, and watch the waves crash against the shore, my mind is at ease. I'm a million miles away from the ball of stress I often become, and am relaxed and feel almost peaceful.
We went to a tiny village called Porthgain and walked along the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path for a few miles along the clifftops to the Blue Lagoon at Abereiddy. We watched cliff divers somersaulting into the water, took lots of photos of the beautiful landscape, and we sat outside and ate pub grub back at the village after our walk, overlooking the harbour in the sunshine. As we drove home we stopped off at Newgale and took photos of the sunset. It really was the most perfect day and I realised for the first time in ages I felt really completely happy. 
From here on out I'm going to strive to put my wellbeing first. I'm going to try my best to stop getting so worried about the future, and I'm going to embrace the mantra "everything happens for a reason" and have faith in the hope that everything will work out eventually. Of course, I'll never shake off the traits I have as a perfectionist, but accepting that perfectly laid out plans aren't the be all and end all is surely a step in the right direction, right?

Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

20 comments:

  1. It is SO important to make sure you take good care of yourself! I like to think that if I take care of me better, I can be better for everyone else around me too!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you : ) That's a lovely way to look at it! xx

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear you had a nice time and you were able to relax :) I find it so hard not to worry about things and to just relax but I'm finding I'm starting to get a little better at it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! : ) I go through phases where I'm really good and then I'm really bad and worrying constantly haha xx

      Delete
  3. The pictures you have taken are beautiful, such a pretty little town. I understand about the panicking about not having a plan, its the worst feeling ever but things always fall in place eventually x

    https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much : ) Yes they definitely do. I need to remember this! xx

      Delete
  4. A beautiful post and lovely pictures! It's so important to put self care high on the list.
    There was a point when I worried more and more about work and making money than I did about looking after myself, which eventually got me in such a state.
    Take each day as it comes. Enjoy living in the moment and don't stress, I'm sure a plan will pile itself together when you least expect it <3

    Tamsyn Elizabeth | Peaches and Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much Tam! : ) I totally agree.. It's so hard to have faith in the fact that everything will work out, but hopefully it will! xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful location, your pictures are stunning! I know what it feels like to be a perfectionist and and that it can be really hard. I always try to control things and find it hard just to let things happen. But I also believe that things happen for a reason and even if your first job might not be your dream job, you will get there. I also hope you will feel better soon xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you : ) It's such a beautiful part of the country. Yes I always try to control things too - thank you for such a lovely comment! xx

      Delete
  6. Being a perfectionist is hard work and unfortunately it's not something that can be changed easily (believe me I have tried) I have learnt that when it all gets a bit too much and I feel blank take some time out even if it's just to read a couple of chapters of a book- it instantly refreshes me!

    theButter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lizzie. It's so important to take some time to yourself, even if it's a half hour walk! xx

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty place.
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  8. This place looks so perfect for relaxing and me time ;)
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so beautiful! I've wanted to visit here for ages! I agree completely. Everything does happen for a reason and there really is no point worrying about the future - that's something I need to learn too. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just spent a few happy minutes reading some of your lovely posts. This is such a lovely one, and so important too. You matter and your well bring matter and taking a bit of time to recharge is invaluable. It sounds a wonderful day you had to blow away the cobwebs. Xx

    Best wishes to you.

    Keep Calm and Start Writing ~
    www.millymayamelia.com
    23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for such a lovely comment - you really made my day! xox

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS