Monday, 29 August 2016

My Makeup Story: Reasons I love wearing makeup.

I've been writing this beauty blog for over three years now, and it's come to my attention that I've never actually shared the reasons why I love wearing makeup and why I decided to blog about it. I do feel there used to be a lot of controversy surrounding the beauty blogosphere, as though most of us who spend our spare time writing, reading about, photographing and trying out new beauty products are shallow, dim and nothing without a full face. This has changed dramatically thanks to the amazing #girlbosses killing it out there on YouTube, showing that beauty can be serious business, and that it's also a wonderful way to connect and engage with likeminded ladies and to boost your confidence and happiness in the process too. 
That's how I see makeup. It's a creative outlet and an art form, where you can transform yourself in any way you wish. One day you're vamping up your eyes with some seriously smoky shades and rocking gothic lips, the next you're pretty in pink thanks to pastel eyeshadows and dusky lip hues. I just love how you can change your makeup to match your mood and overall look, and to me it's all about making yourself feel amazing.

I started wearing makeup at 13, but I used to go to a dancing school and we'd almost be painted in heavy stage makeup for our recitals and performances. Bright orange foundation to block out the stage lights, blue eyeshadows and crazy lipsticks. Admittedly we all looked hilarious but getting dressed up and having our makeup done was all part of the fun! It wasn't until my teenage years that I properly started wearing it myself. Dream Matte Mousse was my best friend, and I used to wear dark eyeliner that would smudge all under my eyes and I'd think I looked really cool with these super "smoky" eyes when in reality I looked like a crazy panda.

I'd say my real love of makeup developed when I landed my first retail job six years ago (time really flies) at The Body Shop. I absolutely loved working there and made some of my very best friends, and it was here that I started to experiment with bolder looks and brighter shades. I was taught how to properly apply makeup onto customers and clients and this taught me how to improve my own look. I started to branch out into wearing eyebrow products, I learned how to effectively apply eyeshadow, I'd wear bright lipstick shades in reds, pinks and even browns. It was here that I started to try out more high end beauty brands and it was where my love of makeup really grew.

I think what I noticed most about working in a beauty store was that women came in to buy beauty products to make them feel good. It really is about so much more than vanity and making yourself "look pretty". It's about trying out a lipstick that boosts your self-esteem, or treating yourself to new skincare that makes your face feel soft and smooth. Beauty is definitely more than skin-deep and I think people often forget that.

I started up this little blog back in my first year of university when I was feeling quite down in the dumps and needed something to focus on. I stumbled upon the beauty blogosphere really unexpectedly whilst looking for a beauty product review, and if I'm honest I didn't even know blogs or anything of the kind even existed before, though I did use to make websites back when I was a teen. Being a first-year journalism student, blogging seemed the perfect way to combine my love of makeup with a love of writing, and I felt it would help me learn and develop in the process. I've honestly learned so much more than I ever imagined and since I started blogging I've had some wonderful opportunities coming my way, and have even interned on the beauty desk at Grazia and appeared on a BBC Wales documentary about makeup. I've gained lovely friends, have pushed myself to the limits, my confidence has improved, and, of course, I've learned so many more makeup tips and tricks along the way.

So the reasons I love wearing makeup are simple. Firstly, it helps me feel so much more confident. I'm much happier in my own skin than I ever was before, but I still love to get my full face on and to experiment with different looks. Secondly, it makes me feel good. Nothing like an "on fleek" brow day to boost your self-esteem. And thirdly, it brings ladies together, both IRL and across social media via beauty blogging or Instagram communities. It may seem shallow, but complimenting someone's lipstick or telling a girl they've got beaut long lashes is a surefire way to empower one another. After all, makeup and beauty is more than just about making yourself prettier; it's about making yourself feel wonderful and inspiring others to feel the same.
"Beauty to me is about feeling comfortable in your own skin. 
That, or a kick-ass red lipstick." - Gwyneth Paltrow
What's your makeup story?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

14 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post! You're so right, beauty is an art form and a creative outlet and the beauty blogging is a great platform to share that with people who have similar interests! Working at The Body Shop sounds like such a good experience, I would love a job like that one day. I currently work in clothing retail so it's a bit different but The Body Shop sounds so much more confidence building for you and the customers! Great post, I really enjoyed reading it xx

    |Georgia Megan|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for posting such a lovely comment - you've really made my day! : ) I work in clothing retail too and hate it if I'm honest. You should apply for The Body Shop, I'm sure you'll love it! xx

      Delete
  2. LOVE this post - I adore experimenting with makeup and allowing it to reflect how I feel! Your makeup looks incredible in this picture too lovely!

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Hayley! :) Thanks so much lovely lady xx

      Delete
  3. Fab post lovely, I completely agree makeup is such a creative outlet and you can really transform yourself! I agree makeup helps me to feel more confident in my own skin and helps to hide my imperfections :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! : ) I absolutely love it! xx

      Delete
  4. Looove this post/Text. First off: your makeup looks lovely in the pictures. And I feel pretty similar about beauty than you do. You go girl :)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kerstin! : ) xx

      Delete
    2. You look so lovely in your picture above. I agree so much. Feeling good is all part of make up! I always shied away from make up in many ways, but now I'm nearing my late twenties I've realised how confident it can help you feel in yourself, and it's fun too!

      Best wishes ...

      Keep Calm and start writing -
      23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much lovely lady : ) xx

      Delete
  5. Your makeup in that photo is amazing!! But also yessssss, exactly how I feel as well! Makeup is just so fun!! :D

    xx SofiaaDot
    sofiaadot.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sofiaa! :) So lovely that you feel the same. xx

      Delete
  6. Such an awesome post to read. I feel the same way about makeup, its the best. Ps. you makeup in that photo is GORGEOUS!

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS