Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Review | St Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion.

Oh how I wish I could be one of those beach goddesses that has a year-round natural tan. Instead, when I'm on holiday, I go a subtle shade of pink with a hint of prickly heat, and then go back to my usual pale self as soon as I land back on British soil. For me, when it comes to tanning, it's all about "fake it till you make it" and I've tried a million fake tans and gradual tan moisturisers in the hope of achieving a more natural glow. The latest I've put to the test is St Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion.
Admittedly, fake tanning can be a chore. Standing naked in your bedroom whilst trying to apply the gooey brown liquid without spilling any on your cream carpet (sorry mum!) and getting streaky legs is such an effort. It's even worse in the winter when you have to freeze to death as your tan slowly seeps into your skin. (Top tip: use a hairdryer all over your body to dry your tan and keep you warm at the same time. I'm well aware that this sounds ridiculous but it's so worth it.) I also hate the feeling of being all sticky overnight as you allow the tan to develop, and I've ruined so many pyjama tops and bedsheets whilst wearing the stuff.

That's why when I discovered that St Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion was on offer in my local Boots I popped it straight in my basket. I mean, a fake tan that I can apply in the shower, that instantly washes off, leaves no sticky residue and gives a lovely natural glow? It's a yes from me!

I've had St Tropez spray tans before and I absolutely loved them, although I admit the price for St Tropez's tanning products are extortionate in comparison with their drugstore counterparts. Their spray tans resulted in a lovely natural, glowing tan with a long-lasting finish and I was hoping for a similar result with the In Shower Lotion. The product usually costs £14.50 and I purchased for £9.99, so I was even more excited to try it out knowing I had a bargain.

The product is used in the shower, after you've washed your hair and body, but away from the water itself. You apply with your hands in circular motions all over the body (or the areas you want to tan), wait for three minutes for the tan to sink into the skin, before washing with water and then gently dabbing your skin dry afterwards. It's a pretty simple process, but what did I think of it?

Overall, I'd have to say that the application process is a bit of a pain. I guess you could time yourself in the shower to see when your three minutes is up to ensure the product is completely sunken into the skin, but standing without the shower running for three whole minutes is pretty long, and it does get kinda cold. It's also impossible to reach your back so it results in you having very tanned limbs and a bronzed chest and stomach, but a very white back; that is unless you get someone to apply it for you while you stand naked in the tub.

The build up is very gradual and you need to at least three applications or so before you start to notice much difference. Even then it's very light and natural which is great, but I would have to say that you need to ensure you take care to cover your whole body equally when applying to avoid streaks. I've woken up with nice glowing legs, only to find a huge orange blob on my upper thigh or streaky watermarks around my ankles. This can be said for all gradual tanners but I think applying when your wet makes it a little more difficult to know where product has been applied. The tan does last quite nicely, but this means if you do end up with streaks or patches then it's quite impossible to scrub them off.

What I do love about the product is that it doesn't have that strong fake tan smell. In fact, I'm not sure it has much of a scent at all. I personally like the smell of fake tan, but know of many who despise it, so the fact that you can look bronzed without the strong whiff of biscuits following you everywhere is a bonus. It's also great as it washes off instantly so doesn't leave you with that greasy, sticky feeling and doesn't ruin your clothes, bed sheets or carpets.

In all honesty, I've felt a little let down by this product. I really do love St Tropez so maybe it's just one of those tans and lotions that takes a little extra time to get used to, but I think I'll be sticking to my Sunkissed Gradual Tanning Lotion as it's so much cheaper and has such amazing results. For the hefty price tag, I don't think I'll repurchase as it takes too long to build up the bronze and I was left with lots of unwanted streaks. Nevertheless, I do really like the concept, but standing around waiting for the tan to dry is a pain. I just wish this tan had worked better for me.

Have you tried this gradual tan?
What are your favourite gradual tanners?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo


4 comments:

  1. I remember there being so much hype when this first launched, but so many have said it's disappointing especially with the waiting around after application xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really love this site. It is very informative. I will bookmark and share to my friends. Thank you very much. http://www.psychicreadingrooms.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great website that is for Hot English Magazine. Thanks for your great effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like this, but agree that the waiting time is a bit of a pain. :/ xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS