Friday, 26 August 2016

Top tips for growing your hair.

I never ever thought I'd be sat here writing a post about growing your hair. Me? The girl who has tried for seven whole years to grow my hair to the "boob" length writing a post about hair growth? I'm sure some of you can relate to the struggle. But in the last few months my hair has grown tremendously and I'm finally reaching a length that I'm completely happy with. I've always wanted luxurious locks and while I'm no Rapunzel, I feel thanks to a few simple changes I've made to my haircare routine, I'm actually starting to see results. So for today's post I'm going to share these little tips with you.

Let me start by just saying I am in no way a hair expert, but I have had advice from my mum who is a hairdresser and from friends who are colour technicians and hair stylists too. These are just the little tips and tricks that I personally feel have made a difference, and hopefully they'll help anyone else out there who is desperately trying to help their hair grow.

1. Keep it natural

The biggest change I've made to my haircare routine recently is ditching the heat and opting for natural hair dos. My hair is quite naturally straight, it just flicks out at the ends, but I absolutely love curling it, which results in lots of heat, lots of hairspray and lots of damage. I now try to leave my hair heat-free (apart from using a hairdryer to give a quick blow dry) for several days a week, opting to pin it back or tie it up, and curling or straightening it only on the weekend or for special occasions. It's amazing how much your hair's condition improves if you don't use any heat on it for a few days. It looks stronger and thicker, and doing this has resulted in my hair growing about two inches in the last year or so. For someone who has been growing their hair since it was all chopped off due to damage in 2010 (more on this later) it's really good going, and my hair has finally reached a length I am happy with.

2. Pick up some new products

Quality hair products are so important to use. They help to protect your hair against heat and everyday damage and rejuvenate the hair to help fix breakage and split ends. I would say that a quality shampoo and conditioner is absolutely vital, even if you're spending a little more. I love using Bedhead products, and since I started regularly using them my hair's condition has improved in leaps and bounds, resulting in thicker-looking locks and lots of length. They may be pricey but you can actually pick up huge shampoo and conditioner bottles of Bedhead for around £10 at shops like TK Maxx and B&M Bargains.

I also love using oils or lotions on damp hair before brushing through and drying. Moroccan Oil is my favourite as it leaves my hair feeling unbelievably soft and smooth, and helps to detangle as I brush through resulting in less pulling and breakage. It also looks super shiny which is an added bonus. It's amazing how horrid your hair feels if you don't use a hair oil or product when you get used to applying it after every wash. It's a great way to protect your hair from any split ends too!

3. Avoid a messy bun, plait instead!

I always used to chuck my hair up in a messy bun when I was having a heat-free day, but little did I know it was causing more harm than good. Tying your hair with a tight elastic bobble as it's all pulled back and scrunched up can result in lots of nasty knots that can be such a pain to untangle, and can cause lots of breakage. Instead, I now French plait my hair down my back instead. It's pretty, leaves your hair in beaut waves ready to wear the next day, and doesn't pull or tug your hair at the root or cause it to break at the end. I figured out how to French plait my hair this time last year by watching Youtube tutorials, and now I style my hair like this about three times a week. I really feel like my hair has grown, and the strength of it has improved, so much since I ditched the messy bun and embraced the plait. 

4. Haircuts little and often

Hearing the words "haircut" or "trim" when you're trying to grow your hair is enough to make you never want to set foot in a hairdressers again, but those tiny little trims can be a godsend. I try to cut my hair every few weeks. It keeps it looking fresh and cutting off any split ends helps to seriously boost hair growth. I've never understood why cutting the ends of your hair makes it grow more from the root, but meh, it works!

5. Ditch the dye

I honestly can't remember the time I last dyed my hair. I think it must have been at Christmas time, and I opted for a subtle ombré look. I've just left it gradually go back to its original colour on the roots since and have seen such an improvement. Of course, if you want to dye your hair you go for it girlfriend, but try to avoid bleach and use lots of conditioning treatments to help retain its health.

6. Wash every other day (at least!)

This is where dry shampoo becomes your best friend. While I would love to be one of these girls that can go for a couple of days between washes (purely because I'm super lazy) my hair is quite fine so I stretch it out to every 48 hours. This lets your hair's natural oils work through from the root and also helps to avoid your hair from drying out and becoming prone to breakage. Yup, it may feel pretty gross at first, but your hair soon gets accustomed to it and you'll be seriously glad you did in the long run.

What are your top haircare tips?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

10 comments:

  1. My hair grows about 2cm per year haha! It is so difficult to grow my hair and I use so many products, but my favourite is coconut oil as a mask. I wish I had the time to use it regularly instead of twice a month, but I will try to include it in my routine!

    Yiota x
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the same! :(( I need to start using coconut oil masks. I love the smell of coconut too xx

      Delete
  2. I'm with you ditching the dye, I'm trying to grow my hair for my wedding next year and the last time I went the hairdressers the lady kept saying how great a condition may hair was in because I'd not dyed it in over a year.

    Mel ★ www.meleaglestone.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's amazing news! Great to hear it's helped. xx

      Delete
  3. I have always tried growing my hair long since I remember and recently i got it all chopped! I used Argan oils and next to no heat x

    https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely be looking into these products, i have got to step up my haircare game. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love posts like this! Anything for longer hair! Did you see the explanation about why hair will get longer if you have it cut regularly? It answers your question. Xxx

    ♥ Carly Susanne ~ A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Jessie - that was meant to say the explanation on my post! X

    ♥ Carly Susanne ~ A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS