Sunday, 21 August 2016

Why blogging has changed me for the better.

I've been blogging for three and a half years now, and I'd definitely say that immersing myself in the blogosphere and everything that comes with it has changed me, and made me a better person. Through blogging I've met so many amazing people, and have had such wonderful opportunities coming my way. It's opened my eyes to a world I didn't even know existed before and I'm so grateful that I started. For today's post I thought I'd share with you the ways blogging has changed me; I wonder if anyone who blogs can relate to these too?
Playsuit - Primark | Bag - Primark | Shoes - River Island | Choker - New Look 

The thing I've probably noticed most about myself since I started blogging is that my confidence has really boosted and I no longer give (as much) of a sh*t about what people think about me. This may also be to do with the fact that I'm now nearly 23 and I was only 19 when I started blogging, but since I signed up to create this little space on the web I've done things I never even dreamed of. I wouldn't say I was a particularly shy person before, but I was incredibly nervous about going to new places and trying new things. Let's just say I rarely left that protective bubble I like to call my "comfort zone".

My first blog event was in Bristol and I made my dad come along with me and wait outside the venue, just in case I wanted to escape early. Who would have thought that three years later I'd have interned at one of the UK's leading women's magazines, gone to several London-based blogging events all alone without knowing anybody, and have even appeared on television because of my blog? Blogging has made me realise I can do things, and I shouldn't be so scared and nervous to try. I do still have these days where I feel completely inadequate, but I think we all do, and it's important to remember that we're all freakin' fabulous in our own way.

I've also become more confident in my sense of style since blogging. I think surrounding yourself (even virtually) with amazing women who look fantastic and aren't scared to push the boundaries when it comes to fashion and beauty is inspiring - and this inspiration stretches far beyond looks and materialism, of course. So many of the bloggers I follow on social media, and whose blogs I regularly read, really inspire me to get out there and to just be myself. After all, when you feel you look good on the outside, you're also blossoming on the inside. Am I right?

Blogging has also given me something really fantastic to focus on, and that's what I really love most about it. When I was in university I struggled with living away from home and having this escapism and a hobby I truly loved was a godsend. Honestly, I'm so happy I stumbled upon the blogosphere and since I started I've never looked back. It fuels my creative passions, has really helped to improve my writing and photography skills, and the fact that I have my own space to really focus my attention on really helps to keep me feeling positive and upbeat (even if it does take over your life sometimes!).

I've learned so much about the world around me and particularly about the industry I am so passionate about and so keen to get into after I finish my masters. I've found I have a real passion for photography, social media and all things digital, and I've learned so much about how the web works and even dipped my toes into marketing and PR since I started. It's helped me manage time more effectively, and has taught me how to write, promote and connect online. It's seriously opened my eyes to the way the media works, and it gets me really excited to work within the industry.

Finally, as wishy-washy as this sounds, I really do think I've become a more positive, more grateful and more appreciative person. I now spend weekends writing, photographing and thinking up new ways to create content, whereas before I would spend them going out or lazing around after work. I'm far more aware of the world around me, constantly looking for the beauty in things. I feel as though when you start to channel all that creative energy into something, you're always on the lookout for new ways to be creative, and you tend to look at everything differently. Would this be a good photograph? Would this be something that I would enjoy writing about, and that people would enjoy reading? Blogging is always at the back of your mind, and my creative brain cells really thrive on that.

Has blogging changed you?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Loved this SO much! Blogging really can make such a huge impact on you and I'm so glad you're confidence has boosted because of it!

    Hannah | Oh January

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely : ) It definitely has a huge impact! xx

      Delete
  2. You look gorgeous dear, great look ! And I totally loved you post !
    xoxo,

    atwednesdaysiwearpink.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how you can come into blogging without a long term plan or just as a fun hobby, and it has turned into something so much more for you, fantastic.

    HANNAH FROM NYLONTOAST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - thank you Hannah! xx

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with you on the style front, I am much more confident in wearing what I want now and I think that is because of all the amazing inspiration. Who cares what others think!?

    theButter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a lovely positive post to read! Blogging has really helped boost my confidence too! x
    http://www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you lovely :) That's made my day! xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! I feel exactly the same, it's such a positive and rewarding hobby and meeting so many girls who love the same things is a massive bonus xx

    " Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right there Gemma : ) xx

      Delete
  7. how fabulous to have a blogger community like that! so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS