Monday, 24 October 2016

Lifestyle | Being a London city slicker and interning at Stylist.

It's safe to say life has been an absolute whirlwind lately, but after spending the past two weeks living the ultimate job goals and completely embracing the London life, I finally feel that I'm back in the right mindset. And it really feels bloody good!
If you read my post about the struggles of being a graduate without a graduate job, you'll know that I've been feeling pretty shit lately. The tireless job hunt, the transition of going from full-time education to nothing, the mindless hours spent in a retail job which was getting me no closer to my goals. It was all taking its toll... But then I had an e-mail from Stylist's beauty editor asking if I would like to intern on the beauty desk for two weeks, and before I knew it I was en route to London, feeling pretty nervous but super excited all the same. 
London is worlds away from the little Welsh town where I grew up. Firstly, it's bloody huge. You can walk from one end of Carmarthen's town centre to the other in about ten minutes, whereas strolling down Oxford Street (and gawping at all the beautiful window displays) can take a good half hour. Secondly, it's so crazily fast-paced. Everyone is so career driven; rushing to meetings, taking phone calls and catching up on e-mails on the tube. Life back in Wales is slow and steady, the days spent happily plodding from one task to the next. Honestly, I was really worried about whether I'd like the London life when I first spent time interning at Grazia last April, but I absolutely loved it and these last two weeks were no exception - it was so good to be back!
My weekdays were spent interning at Stylist which, for those of you who don't know, is a free weekly magazine that is distributed across London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Birmingham. (Srsly, they need to start distributing in Cardiff, like, pronto.) It's catered totally to career-driven women with sass and I absolutely loved being a part of it. The office is so fast-paced and fun, people bouncing ideas off each other and working hard to create content that readers would genuinely love and be interested in. The designs, artwork and photography is also incredible and it really gave me a huge appreciation for all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to make a feature complete. It took me back to my Masters days, where I spent the majority of my time slaving away on magazine designs and articles - all worth it to get that feature on point both visually and content-wise!
I also got to do some seriously cool things whilst at Stylist. There was the usual research, e-mailing, dealing with post and talking to PR companies; as well as lusting over all the gorgeous beauty products and packages that the beauty team were delivered, obv. But I also got to go to my first press launch on the team's behalf. It was for the NuFace Facial Toner and was a delicious breakfast event held at the stunning Ham Yard Hotel, just off Piccadilly Circus. The whole experience was fantastic (even if it did mean a 5:45am start!) and just being around beauty editors who have been in the game for so long was really inspiring. The breakfast was also pretty damn good - cute croissants and mini bacon rolls are the perfect foods to get your Friday off to a cracking start!
On the weekend Dan came to visit and it was seriously the best weekend I've had in so long. Friday evening was spent walking along the Thames, eating all the Italian carbs and melt-in-the-middle chocolate cake to die for. On Saturday we caught the Thames Clipper to Greenwich, taking in all the views of the beautiful London landmarks as the boat cut its way Eastward through the waves. It was a glorious day weather wise, and this just made the little town of Greenwich all the more charming. 
We strolled through the market, oggling at all the delicious street food and feeling slightly gutted that we'd spent an hour searching for somewhere for brunch that morning, before heading to Greenwich Park and taking in the views from the Observatory. From there you could see the whole of the London cityscape but it felt so far away in this quaint little place. It just felt so homely and downright lovely. I'd love to live here (or somewhere close) if/when I make the move to London. 
Sunday was spent walking, walking and walking some more, passing the city's stunning landmarks on foot and taking a few (too many) photos. We also had a BOGOF ticket to go to the London Dungeons and it was such a laugh. These tourist-type places can often be such a let-down and ultimately cringe, but we had so much fun lurking in the shadows and laughing at ourselves jumping and screeching at every twist and turn. I was really gutted when Dan went home on Monday and I headed back to work, but it was so lovely to spend some quality time with him and for him to embrace a little of the London life too. Even though Dan is a country boy (and I most definitely am a country gal too!) we did really love being city slickers for the weekend, though I think he was pretty relieved to wave goodbye to the overcrowded central line. 
Now I'm feeling positive. I'm feeing determined, motivated and excited for the future. While it's really difficult to intern with no income and I hate having to rely on my parents to help me financially, I know that this is what I need to do to get to where I want to be. The experiences I have gained and the people I have met through interning have been invaluable, but for now it's time to chill for the week in the beautiful Welsh countryside before I'm London-bound once more!

Lots of love. xoxo

26 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an awesome time! It can be so tough to break into that industry, interning is definitely the right step to take!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was amazing and I do hope something comes of it! xx

      Delete
  2. Ahh I love London so much! Would love to get the chance to live there one day. Sounds like you're having a great time! and your weekend sounded lovely :) x

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's such a beautiful city! Thanks lovely xx

      Delete
  3. As someone who is currently looking to do a similar intership this post was such a great read, it sounds like you had an amazing experience with Stylist! Gorgeous photos too xx
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, and good luck with your internship! I'd definitely recommend Stylist :) You have so much to do there and I learned a lot! xx

      Delete
  4. That's so amazing you got the opportunity to intern! I have heard of Stylist before, I never got the chance to read it though x Glad to hear you're more motivated x

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't actually read it before either as they don't distribute it anywhere near me! Thank you lovely :) xx

      Delete
  5. Absolutely loved reading this lovely, it always makes me imagine what quiet country life is like having lived in London all my life. I've heard amazing things about working at Stylist too, such a cool mag as well!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! It's the complete opposite haha, I love London but it's just so different to what I'm used to! Yes it was a really fab place to work :) xx

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you've been having such a good time! I'm also on the search for an internship in London for next summer!
    Can I ask if you emailed Stylist directly or went through an agency?
    Thanks, Sallie X
    www.blondiercks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie. They actually got in touch with me from a recommendation from a previous internship, but definitely worth giving the editorial assistant an email :) xx

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the internship lovely - so, so proud of you! What an incredible magazine to work for <3 P.s how dreamy does that melt-in-the-middle cake sound?! Sounds like you had the perfect weekend with Dan too! :)

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much Hayley! :) It really was a lovely time. Feeling much more positive now! xx

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely post! That sounds absolutely great. And oh my serious job envy right here - I'd love to work in London too, duh!

    Love, kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to this post so much! I also did a similar blog post on being a graduate struggling to find a graduate job and it is so hard and can get you really down. I was in the same position and also ended up 8 months after gradating finding an internship in marketing which was paid but not the best pay. Then I got offered a perm position. So don't give up now is only the start especially now you have experience and with a magazine company that looks really good on CV :)

    S x | SHELISES WORLD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you lovely lady! :) I think it's just so hard for graduates nowadays, but I hope I manage to find something soon! So happy you have found something you love! xx

      Delete
  10. Woah i am completely envious, this is an experience i would love to do. Great post x

    https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I'm sure you can do internships too! xx

      Delete
  11. Sounds like such an exciting (and exhausting!) experience! Glad you made the most of it and enjoyed yourself!

    She Likes to Shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Definitely exhausting haha - I'm home for a week now and absolutely shattered! xx

      Delete
  12. Sounds fantastic! I want to break into magazines but it's so hard!

    Chichi
    chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I absolutely love reading Stylist Magazine.

    Chichi
    chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS