Friday, 7 October 2016

Lifestyle | The struggle of being a graduate without a graduate job.

When I was a student I loved nothing more than having a late start and a morning off university. I'd have a lovely long lie-in, and I'd slowly get out of bed to wash and make breakfast, before returning to my snuggly duvet cocoon and eating my warm bowl of porridge in bed whilst indulging in some seriously guilty day time TV (yep, that's right, I'm obsessed with Jeremy Kyle). I'd spend an hour or so catching up on some blog reading, chuckling along with This Morning's Phillip and Holly as they took the mick out of Gino D'Acampo, before applying my makeup and getting dressed for university whilst listening to the Loose Women, spending most of the hour with my eyes rolled far back into my skull as one of them made yet another complaint about their "useless husband". 

Now, and I'm aware that this sounds completely ridiculous, mornings off make me feel stressed. They're spent frantically searching for new job opportunities, so that I can get some applications planned out before I head to my afternoon retail shift. Or they're spent worrying about internships and  the fact that my measly 4 hour contract at a womenswear store means I am barely scraping out of my overdraft, let alone on a budget where I can afford to intern to reach my goals. There's also the problem that job opportunities seem to be few and far between at present, and, despite knowing that I have a roof over my head, a steady income (no matter how small), and the support of family, friends and loved ones, it all feels pretty overwhelming and, at times, downright shit

I know for certain I'm not the only one who feels this way. So many of my friends, both bloggers and those who I've known since I was 4 years old, are currently facing the struggle that comes between full-time education and finding full-time work. We've all worked so incredibly hard to achieve qualifications, our lives revolving around university, and now, at the end of it all, we're feeling completely flat. What should be weeks of relaxing and enjoyment after all the hard work has come to an end, and before the next chapters of our lives begin, are in fact weeks of stress and worry as we try to make it in the world. Obviously this isn't going to be the case forever. Jobs will come our way and our life path will continue to unfold before us. In a few weeks/months time we won't even know what all the stress was about because everything will slot into place just as it always has. But when you're living in this chaotic moment, you can't help but feel that everyone has their life together, while yours is just spiralling crazily out of control.

I don't quite know why I started to write up this post this evening. I was having a bit of a meltdown and felt that one of the only ways to divert it (okay, stop it as I was already mid-meltdown) would be to write it all out. To let all of the anxieties of life pour out into words on a page, and it's helped. I guess what's important here is having a little perspective. Realistically I'm not going to be spending the next ten years fretting about finding a job. I know in my heart that something will come up, and when I do find something I know I will completely give it my all. 

For now, I should focus on the little things, like ensuring my health is paramount, taking time to meet friends and to spend with my family and boyfriend doing the little things I love. I should pour my heart into my blog and fitness regime; two things which I love that really do help to relieve stress and make me feel less useless. And, most of all, I should embrace those chilled mornings watching breakfast TV. After all, when it's my time to start the next chapter of my life, mornings like these will be few and far between.

Are you currently on the job hunt?
Can you relate to this?
Lots of love. xoxo

17 comments:

  1. Hi my lovely, I read this and I just wanted to say that when I graduated (in 2008, right into the depression - YAY!) I felt EXACTLY the same. Spent every morning on Guardian jobs feeling like I was sending my CV into a black hole, and like there was no point and just wishing I could go back in time and do university again. All I can say, out the other side with a job I love, is that it's worth it. Keep persevering - it might take ages but you WILL get there! You're clearly a proactive type of person as you have a blog and you're making the effort with a retail job, so it will happen for you I promise. Give me a tweet if you're feeling down (@perksofbeingc8) but it gets better honestly! Enjoy your porridge in bed :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment hun. You really made my day and cheered me up so much! I totally feel the same at the moment.. I just can't wait to find something now! I'll definitely embrace the lazy mornings :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I was in the exact same situation love; I graduated and kind of expected to find something and I just didn't! I found what I thought was my dream job at Net A Porter - went along for the interview and it just wasn't for me, nor was I the right fit for the role. It really got me down and I started to feel like I would never find anything that I actually wanted to do - or something that my degree had led me too!

    I spent the summer waitressing at a cafe that my brother was the Chef at and it was actually one of the best summers of my life, I just worked hard, saved up and took some pressure off of myself to find something straight away. Through my blog I'd met some lovely girls in PR, one day they contacted me about a 2 week internship starting the following week as someone had pulled out suddenly, I stepped into the role and ended up working there for a year and a half! The whole time I was running my blog alongside and a year ago I became a full time blogger!

    It's crazy how quickly things can change; I would say to keep looking but don't put too much pressure on yourself lovely; sometimes things happen when we least expect them too!

    Lots of love,
    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told you on Twitter earlier, this comment was SO needed today and I can't thank you enough for taking the time out to write it. It's so funny how the world works out isn't it? And I'm so happy that you found a job and career path you love, and even more so that you're now blogging full time! Thanks once again for your kindness you absolutely lovely lady. xxxx

      Delete
  3. I just graduated and I totally understand the pressure to try and make something of yourself and get out there. A lot of my friends have started serious 9 to 5 jobs and are moving out and starting their lives as 'real adults', and it can seem scary. However I'm kind of enjoying taking some time out to do the lie-ins and easy mornings you described! I'm aware that I've got the rest of my life to work, and that once I join the rat race there won't be many opportunities to take time for myself. Hope you have luck finding a job, but also totally don't sweat it, there's always a bright side and you'll be missing those lie-ins soon :)

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we're not alone hun, so many people are in the same predicament as us which makes me feel more at ease haha! Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Let's hope we both find our way soon! xxx

      Delete
  4. I have a job and never went to uni. I think you can defo get a job, but from what I understand you want it in your desired field. I'm actually in the opposite situation... I'm working in a not so bad job, but now I want to study! I guess no one is ever completely happy, but if you keep trying you will get a job you want.
    You have an amazing blog so at least you have that to keep yourself busy :) x

    Laura ­Thinks About Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking for lifestyle magazine jobs which are few and far between at present. You're totally right - it's so hard to know what you want to do! Thanks lovely lady! :) xx

      Delete
  5. I can completely relate with you! I finished uni last November but my university holds a pretty late graduation, which ended up being of May this year. I decided that I didn't want to look for a job before graduation because I wanted to reward myself with some time off. After May, I absolutely worked my butt off trying to land a job. I got successful in a 'trial' but I found out basically day one that I was just a fill in and I was definitely discouraged. I felt like I wasn't good enough and I was being extended for a little while because the next person couldn't start until a certain date. It really bashed me around but I kept my eyes open and I had an interview the day after I finished up. It all worked now and I finally have a job that I know they genuinely want me and will train me. It's only part time but I'm so happy with that because landing any type of job is such a struggle for a graduate. My distinction average and 3 internships didn't even matter. It's so difficult for us out there and I'm wishing you all the luck! x

    Katina Lindaa | www.katinalindaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unfair how graduates are often taken advantage of! I'm so happy you've finally found something you enjoy :) Hopefully I'll feel the same way over the next few weeks! Thanks so much for your lovely, kind comment - it's really made my morning! xx

      Delete
  6. "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

    Literally. This mantra got me through SO much shit following university and when I felt the exact same way as you do now. You've just gotta remember that you will end up exactly where you were meant to end up and sometimes it's a little shit getting there but nothing worth having ever comes easy! I worked at a job I really, really disliked for almost a year before I managed to work up the experience to move on and land a job that sets me on the right path for my career. Just keep going and don't get disheartened! Much love. xx

    katie ♥ lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that quote hun - it's definitely one that I'll bear in mind. You're completely right, it's just so odd being in the middle of it. Thanks so much for your lovely comment hun. So happy you found where you wanted to be! xx

      Delete
  7. This was such an interesting read, I'm currently in my fourth studying and I'm already getting anxious about leaving uni and having to find a graduate job! That's so true about having time for yourself though, definitely take advantage of it while you can :) Do you have instagram? Mine is @louisefrancescaa if you want to follow each other! XX

    The Fashion Road.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely :) Definitely make the most of your last year of university and the very best of luck with it! Yes my instagram is @jessieann48.. I'll go follow you :) xx

      Delete
  8. Any transition in life can be stressful, but just know that a great opportunity lies ahead, just have to get through this season!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely - you're completely right! xx

      Delete
  9. https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/I was always worried about this and its one of the reasons i wont be going to university anymore. Hopefully everything works out x

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS