Sunday, 2 October 2016

Review | Charlotte Tilbury Magic Night Cream.

I'm actually bringing a bit of a negative review to ATB today, but I think it's so important to discuss products that aren't all sunshine and roses in order to keep up that authentic blogging community image and all that jazz. Of course, this isn't me completely bashing the product, as it may work wonders for someone else while it just simply didn't work for me. But unfortunately Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Night Cream isn't a product I'll be trying again.


The CT Magic Night Cream is said to work as an anti-ageing cream and also an ageing preventer, with the ability to intensely plump and firm the skin. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm all for firmer, healthier skin. I'm also worried about the onset of wrinkles and at the ripe old age of 22 I'm starting to see some little ones forming on my forehead as I've spent most of my days this year frowning over my university books (damn you, education!). I was really looking forward to giving this product a try.

Let's firstly discuss the positives. One thing I love about CT is their lavish packaging, and the Magic Night Cream is no exception. The night cream, which costs a whopping £100 (I didn't pay, but received it as part of a editorial internship goody bag) and took four whole years to create, comes in a beautifully packaged tub with the pretty gold lettering that is so distinctive to the brand. It's a really sturdy tub too, so not likely to break if you're taking it away on a trip with you or if you drop your makeup bag. 
The cream itself feels really lovely. It's very thick and includes eight magic ingredients to help plump and rejuvenate the skin, including anti-oxidant Vitamin E, Frangipani to soothe the complexion, and Olus Oil to give a lovely finish. However, and this is what sadly put me off the product, after application it feels really sticky on the skin. It doesn't actually sink into the pores whatsoever, leaving a sticky, gloopy residue on the face.

Admittedly, I thought this was rather odd and did a little research and spoke to other beauty bloggers on Twitter to see if this was the case. It feels more like a mask than a night cream and I was worried that it would wreak havoc on my oily skin type. With reassurance that this was how the product was supposed to work, and with knowledge that it could be used for all skin types (it says this on the Charlotte Tilbury website), I left it on over night and waited to see what it would be like the following morning.
Honestly, I woke up the next morning with my face practically stuck to my pillow. I prised my skin away from the cotton sheets to find that the cream was still not sunken into my face, and in fact it felt quite greasy and oily. Nevertheless, I had expected this so went to wash it off as part of my usual skin care regime and found that my face had in fact broken out and I had a few little pimples forming on my forehead and chin. As someone who really tries to keep a squeaky clean and make-up free face where I can in order to abolish pesky breakouts, I was really gutted that this had happened; so gutted in fact that I neglected to wear it again and I will be passing this product onto my mum.

I've read lots of really positive reviews about this product, but for me this is definitely not one for all skin types and certainly not one for oily skin. Admittedly I only tested it just for one full night, but I didn't want to risk any further breakouts, especially as I've spent the best part of the last year finding out what products do and don't work for my skin type. If you have dry skin that's in need of a little rejuvenation then I'd say definitely give it a go, but for the extortionate price tag I'd suggest grabbing a sample before you splash the cash.

Have you tried this product?
What did you think of it?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo

24 comments:

  1. It sounds disappointing, especially for the price tag x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read alot of reviews on this product and most people don't seem to get on with it. I think I will definitely stay away from it!

    EmmysBeautyCave | Bloglovin | Blog Header Services

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I've read some fantastic reviews and then other dreadful ones! xx

      Delete
  3. I had a sample of this and like you I didn't get on with it :( I stuck with it because I just couldn't face the fact that it wasn't amazing haha! I found that it felt incredibly heavy and I saw no special results either, such a shame considering the price tag! xx

    Jodie / jodiemelissa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's such a shame :( Haha, I know I was really gutted! It seems a lot were disappointed xx

      Delete
  4. I think everyone's skin is different and sometimes a miracle product for other people just doesn't work for a few - the packaging is still lovely though

    Mel ★ www.meleaglestone.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Mel - the packaging is beaut! xx

      Delete
  5. Such a shame this didn't work for you - lucky you didn't pay the £100 for it!
    It sounds like this may be better for someone with drier skin? But even then I'd be worried about breakouts x

    Small&Blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely better for someone with drier skin I think :) xx

      Delete
  6. I really want to try this, but I have oily skin, so I'm definitely going to see if I can get a small sample first. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd recommend a sample as it really didn't work for me unfortunately! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, I didn't know they do skincare as well ;)
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :) they have a wide range of products! xx

      Delete
  8. I've never tried any Charlotte Tilbury products as i'm not one to splash out on makeup or any beauty products. I love the idea of it as I have dry skin, but the fact that it didn't sink into your skin overnight is really strange! I definitely won't be trying this, even if i did have a spare £100!

    Emma at www.collagemepretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree.. I wouldn't pay that price for any skincare haha, it could be spent on a holiday or trip away! xx

      Delete
  9. I'm always on the look for new night creams, but I haven't seen much about this one as of yet. I'll definitely be giving it a go - fantastic read x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your honest opinion on this particularly product showing both the positive and the negative sides!! But I don't like the sound of skin cream just being "gloopy" and not being absorbed properly!!

    Ursula

    aka Blueridge Beauty Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ursula :) It's a shame as I had such high hopes! xx

      Delete
  11. Oh no, so sorry to hear that it was disappointing lovely but it's so important to share these reviews too, as an oily girl I do not want product sticking to my skin all night without sinking in. Such a shame though before so much ££££. Eek!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree hun! I know it's such a hefty price tag.. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a £100 moisturiser haha! xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS