Saturday, 5 November 2016

Lifestyle | Everybody's winging it...

Do you ever just have a sudden epiphany, or a random realisation? Like, you could be doing something as mundane as making a cup of tea, or something as crazy as jumping out of a plane, and you suddenly think to yourself, 'do you know what, everything is going to be okay'. 
In the current digital age where everybody is completely obsessed with social media, a mediocre day can become an utterly crap one within a minute scroll through your Instagram feed. It's 10am, you're sat in bed watching Barry and Sue hurling abuse at each other on Jeremy Kyle, and you've got nothing major planned for the day, or week, ahead. 

Meanwhile, Blogger X has just uploaded a snap of her recent city break to Paris. Blogger Y just tweeted about an exciting collab they're doing with a big fashion brand. Your old university pal, Jenny, just updated her employment section on Facebook and has landed an insane job at an amazing company and is two steps ahead of you when it comes to becoming a #girlboss. Let's be honest, it completely sucks. You've barely made it out of bed and all these people are doing the most amazing, wonderful things.

But with a little perspective, you'll see that everything is not sunshine and roses. These social media platforms are built around sharing the glorified parts of your life that you want everyone to see, not the days where you struggle. The days where you want to curl up under a rock for a thousand years, the days where you're fretting over the future and worrying about what you're going to be doing in the weeks, months and years from now. These are never shown.

It's easy to get bogged down in the vanity of social media, always feeling like you're a step behind everybody else. Always feeling like you're giving so much but getting nothing in return. However, it's so important to remember that one day everything you have done, everything you have worked towards, will be enough. You'll land that killer job, or you'll hop on that flight to Paris. Or you'll save enough money to buy a cute little house, and will be surrounded by friends, family and loved ones who are so incredibly proud. All these little goals that we plan in our head will become reality, but while you're getting to that goal, you've just gotta work hard and wing it. And whether social media shows it or not, everybody's winging it... and that's completely okay.

I've spoken before about how stressed I am about finding work at the moment, but after interning at Stylist Magazine last month, currently interning at Elle, and after speaking to women who have been through the same struggles as me but have finally made it, I feel so much calmer. I'm finally starting to accept that I have time. I don't have to land the dream job straight away. I don't have to be earning big dollar and planning to buy a house. Heck, I'm only 22 and have only been out of full time education for the best part of two months! 

I have my whole life ahead of me to achieve these goals, and since I've felt this way, I've released the pressure off myself and am starting to thoroughly enjoy life again. I think it's important to remember that while everyone is guilty of showing only their best bits on social media, we're all going through the same life struggles, not knowing what's going to happen from one day to the next. And, let's be honest, the uncertainty of life is pretty damn cool.

"Everything will be okay in the end. 
If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Lots of love. xoxo

8 comments:

  1. I love this post, finishing uni can be so tough and confusing and it's so easy to feel panicked - but everything will be fine! Sometimes it's a case of "it's just a bad day, not a bad life" no matter how rubbish you feel. It sounds like you have been doing INCREDIBLE things since finishing uni, and you should be so proud of yourself!

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right - everything will be fine! :) I love that quote too.. Puts everything into perspective. Thanks so much lovely :) I do feel a lot better now as to when I first finished uni and had no direction xx

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. And it was definitely something I needed today. Often, I find myself playing the comparison game. "So and so is on a trip to the Bahamas....and I'm stuck here working" or "I wish I had money/time/energy to do what they're doing!" Social media is a great thing but it can also cause us to stop appreciating the incredible things in our own lives. That is why I am trying to take time for gratitude. Sometimes, I just stop in the middle of the day and think, "I am grateful for my job because it allows me to pay my rent/socialize with people/get one step closer to my goal." A little perspective is a great thing.

    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, as always Shannon :) I love what you're saying here - gratitude is so important and I'm definitely feeling a lot more grateful for the things I have lately. xx

      Delete
  3. Love this post! It's so true - we all need to stop comparing ourselves to others and stop worrying that other people are doing better at things than we are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! We're definitely all guilty of it. xx

      Delete
  4. I am awful for wanting to plan the rest of my life, have goals and dates set out for me. I find it so much easier to carry on with everyday life when you have something great at the end. So it can be hard to admit that not everything has to fall into place!x
    https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same. I have a plan for everything but I'm trying to just let things be at the moment. Of course, hard work and dedication is key but you gotta have a little faith too :) xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS