Wednesday, 7 December 2016

FITNESS | TOP TIPS FOR GETTING YOUR HEALTH REGIME BACK ON TRACK.

This time a year and a half ago I was the fittest and healthiest I’d ever felt. I was eating really well, training super hard, and taking really good care of my body, leaving me looking toned and feeling pretty damn great too. After a lot of hard work and determination I’d finally lost the weight I piled on by eating daily ready meals and consuming too many Jåger Bombs at uni, and it’s definitely the happiest I’ve ever felt about my body.

Now, well I guess you could say I’ve fallen off the bandwagon. The past year has been a pretty stressful one and, despite continuing to work out most days, the majority of it has been spent sat at a desk, slaving away and studying. After I completed my masters my mum whisked me away on an all-inclusive holiday to Greece (no Greek salad for me, it was carbs and cake galore) and then I was interning in London, where my meals consisted off pre-packaged salads, cheesey paninis and a shitload of chocolate brownies.

It’s safe to say I wasn’t looking or feeling my best. In fact, I was starting to feel really self conscious and it was a squeeze to get into some of the clothes I'd bought when I was at my healthiest, which left me feeling even more down. I knew something had to change.

Four weeks later and after a lot of self-discipline (albeit having the odd treat here and there) I’m finally getting back to feeling great. I’ve still got a long way to go – which is likely to take a while now the festive season is kicking in – but for those of you who are feeling sluggish and unhealthy too, this is how I’m doing it…

1. Set a date to cut the crappy foods - and stick to it!

I go through phases, even though most of the time I look after my body really well. I work out five times a week (not just in an attempt to look good but as it really helps me to relieve stress and gain perspective) and I try my hardest to nourish my body with lots of fruit, veggies and water. But whenever I have an event or occasion which buggers up foodie plans, my healthy eating regime flies off the handle and it can take me weeks to get back into it.

Pick a day for your healthy regime to start and stick to it. This can be the start of a week (I usually choose a Monday as Sundays are for cake and roast dinners after all), or even the start of the month, and from there vow to make healthier choices. Stock up on greens, fresh fruit and healthy snacks when you do your weekly food shop. Avoid the sweetie aisle and definitely keep the wine to a minimum.

Admittedly, it’s pretty hard at first to quit the crappy foods cold turkey. Your body will ache for some deliciously gooey chocolate cake, your taste buds tingling at the thought. But after a few days those cravings will pass, and you’ll be lusting after your healthy treats instead! Then just keep it up – keep making those healthy choices, and if you do want a little treat every now and again, who’s to say no? I really love EmTalks’ advice on this one – the 80:20 rule. It’s about keeping it all in moderation, of course.

2. Mix up your workouts

Personally, I find that the best way for me to stay in shape is to run. That, and to do light weight work which keeps my muscles toned and my bingo wings at bay. But I’ll let you in on a little secret, I find running so boring. Even more so when the cold and wet of winter kicks in and you’re 5k run along the sea front is replaced by the tedious thud of the treadmill. I usually tend to go to circuits classes, which involve lots of running and cardio, to keep me in shape. Though I have been running a timed 5k in my Sunday gym sessions for the past few weeks – a run that I’m actually enjoying!

3. Have something to aim for (aka. #fitnessgoals)

Last year I took on Cardiff’s Survival of the Fittest. A grueling 13k run with muddy obstacles consisting of rivers, tunnels and even a white water rapid to contend with. In honestly, it was hell. But the feeling on completion was so amazing and I was itching to do another competitive fitness challenge this year (just with a little less mud!). I’m so gutted that I didn’t get round to completing one, but I am determined to run a 10k or a half marathon in 2017. Having something to aim for gets me so motivated – and gives me an excuse to get off my ass to work! This can even be something as looking hot in a new dress I’ve bought. That’s my motivation for the rest of 2016 anyway!

4. Get lots of beauty sleep

Now, this is a fitness tip I can definitely get to grips with. Sleeping is the best and so important if you’re upping your fitness regime. During the festive season I know I’m going to be burning the candle at both ends – attending Christmas parties that go on late into the evening with guaranteed early starts the next day – so I’m determined to get as much sleep as I can now so that I’m in tip top condition for all the festivities!

5. Planning and preparation is key

I am one of the biggest control freaks you’ll meet. There’s a time for everything – even eating – and one of the best ways for me to stick to a healthy plan is by being organised. If I have a week which throws me off course, I find it so hard to get back into it all, so prepping ahead and deciding what I’m going to eat and when I’m going to work out is a huge help. I write it all out in my diary at the start of the week (not down to every single meal, but always when I’m going to work out) and then I stick to it.

Honestly, these tips are ones that anyone can get on board with. Getting out and exercising more; nourishing your body with lots of good food and plenty of sleep; working towards a goal, no matter how big or small; and planning ahead to keep you organised. Small changes that I’m definitely going to keep up with!

What are your fave fitness tips?
Lots of love. xoxo

8 comments:

  1. These tips are honestly exactly what I needed. I was doing really well and feeling great...and now that the holidays are coming up...I feel like I have no time to workout. I'm always out/with family/eating cookies. Thank you for this post. Seriously!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know.. I find it hard to squeeze in a work out and keep eating all the time haha. Going to try and keep active this Christmas. xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these tips Jessie, I think they are amazing and they are going to help me a lot. Ps: I love the new design of your blog

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment Paula :) xx

      Delete
  3. Great tips, I really need to get my fitness back on track x

    Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixing up workouts is essential, i get bored so easily x
    https://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS