Friday, 23 December 2016

Why we should support bloggers sharing sponsored/"ad" content.

It's come to my attention recently that lots of people seem to stop spreading the blog love when they see bloggers sharing sponsored, or #ad, content. There's been lots of tweeting about it, especially about "bigger" bloggers whose content has slowly changed from high street outfit shots to full-on designer look books that rival those of magazine photoshoots, and today I thought I'd share my opinion on it. 
Obviously, each to their own, and please let me just point out that this post is in no way aimed at anybody or any type of blogger. I follow and support anyone who is working on their blog game - whether they've amassed thousands of followers or have just started out. Let me also point out that this post is concerned with bloggers who do actually make a point of telling their readers/followers that their content is sponsored. I too have to suppress my inner rage when a blogger or influencer shares content that is so obviously sponsored without disclaiming. How hard is it to type "#ad" on an Insta-snap? I'm all about being open and honest with my readers, as I know most of us are, so it sucks that a small minority neglect the transparency.

Nevertheless, today I fancied writing a rambling post about blog support, so here are my reasons for why I think we should support bloggers and the sponsored content they create.

It's still (mostly) their creative content 

First and foremost, it has to be said that us bloggers are always so supportive of anyone who is producing innovative, fun and creative content online, whether that's on their blog, sharing flatlay goals on Instagram, or just tweeting something that's utterly hilar. We all work incredibly hard to constantly keep improving our blogging output, and I really don't feel that being paid to provide content lessens our creativity. Sure, sponsored content may mean that we are given a specific theme to talk about, or a product to feature in a picture, but ultimately the content produced still came from the creative mind of the blogger, so why shouldn't we support and congratulate them on what a bloody good job they've done?

Us bloggers work goddamn hard, so why not get sponsored?

That being said, for the most part sponsored content IMO is usually done so well that it really is worthy of payment. For me, writing up a good blog post takes several days. That's without having to provide photography and schedule social content to promote it. Blogging is like a full-time job, on top of a full-time job, so people being rewarded for their hard work is totally fine by me! If the opportunity is there to be paid for doing something you love, then why not take it? I always feel so proud if any of the blogging gals I regularly follow - or any gal for that matter - gets a chance to collaborate with a leading brand.

At least it's actually being disclosed 

This!! I mentioned earlier that I also find it so freaking annoying when bloggers don't disclose content, and the same can totally be said for celebs who neglect to tell their followers that the new lipstick they love soooo much was actually given to them in order for them to post about it. I've gone on and on about how blogging thrives because of its openness, and I totally feel we should try to keep it this way, so sharing a disclaimer letting people know you've been provided with samples is a super easy way to do that. Also, you've been provided with an opportunity to collaborate with a brand you love and admire. Some people will never, ever get the opportunity to do the same, so why wouldn't you shout it out to the world? I appreciate anyone who is being open with their readers.

A supportive community is a thriving community

I can't stress this enough. At the end of the day, blogging and social media is such a new and totally evolving industry, who knows how long it's going to be around for? I've no doubt that it's only going to grow in the next few years, but in order for it to thrive we all need to support one and other. The more support we have, the more opportunities for bloggers to do amazing things will come our way! Plus, the best thing about being a blogger is being part of a like minded community and getting to write about and share the little things you love, whether that's provided by a brand or not. Am I right?

So there we have it. IMO that tiny little #ad means absolutely nothing to me, other than the blogger in question has been landed with a fantastic opportunity and is continuing to up their blog game, and for that - I applaud them!

What are your opinions on sponsored content/ads in the blogging world?
Lots of love. xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. I've recently become lucky enough to get a few sponsored things under my belt and you know what? It's literally like 'well, it's about time'! We've become expected to do things for free and it's like why should people disapprove when we finally get something that we deserve? I think as long as people don't over do it and the sponsorship material is still aligned with their blog and following, a-okay. But it is pretty sad to see that some bloggers will do anything for money and just post about things completely random x

    Katina Lindaa | www.katinalindaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katina! I totally agree - if it is done well, aligns with their blog content and is disclaimed, then go for it! xx

      Delete
  2. I feel so empowered seeing fellow bloggers working on sponsored content providing it's disclosed! It's amazing that so many of us have been able to turn a hobby into a source of income and I hate seeing negative comments about it on social media! It's just jealousy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same! :) I think it's a really exciting thing, and something we should be proud of! xx

      Delete
  3. You have some good positive opinions about this topic, why shouldn't we share content just because it's sponsored? I would kill to have some of those opps others have and advertise for brands

    Mel ★ http://www.meleaglestone.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Mel :) I totally agree with you! xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS