Sunday, 1 January 2017

Goals and dreams for 2017.

I can't quite believe I'm writing this post, how the hell is it 2017 already? Classic new year goals blog opening for you there, but it really is true that the older you get the quicker time goes. 2016 was a whirlwind year and honestly I feel as though I've grown so much in confidence and as a person in the past year. I really do feel like a stronger, more independent woman. I've left the safe bubble of university life, I've flown the nest and pursued my career in London, and I'm really excited to see what fate has in store for me in 2017. 

Lots of people see "new year's resolutions" as such a pointless ideal. A new year literally means that we've travelled once around the sun, so the fact that people see it as an opportunity to overhaul their life seems silly to them. Me? I see the new year as a new chapter; an empty page of a book waiting to be filled where the end sentence can be one of never-ending possibilities. I see it as a clean slate. A time to make changes and to refocus after what is (usually) a pretty hectic party season. 
So here's looking ahead to the year ahead. I have lots of goals I want to fulfil in 2017, and for today's post I thought I'd share them with you. 

1. Find a permanent journalism job (and one that I really love!)

For those of you who read my 2016 round-up post, you'll know that I landed my first journalism job back in November after spending the first nine months of 2016 working on my Masters, before interning in London a few weeks after handing in my thesis. I was absolutely thrilled to have been offered work, if only temporarily, and I am currently freelancing as a video assistant for Superdrug Loves, which I am thoroughly enjoying (especially as it means I get to meet and work with so many lovely blog babes!). Unfortunately, it's only a temporary position, so I'm still on the job hunt and am hoping to find something permanent in the coming weeks. I just want that security and to make more of a mark on the journalism industry!

2. Find a permanent place to live

This seriously needs to happen, like immediately, as I have been living in and out of a hostel in London for the past eight weeks and it's really taking its toll. My home is so far away from London, and I have no friends or family who I can stay with, plus everything career wise has happened so suddenly that I've not really had a chance to take time out to figure out what I'm doing or where I'm staying. I'm hoping to finally have a little place of my own in the big city very soon - provided I secure full time work, of course - so this is one of my main goals of 2017. I just want a place I can relax in and call my own, as my pokey hostel room isn't a patch on my lovely house back in Wales. I've been seriously missing my home comforts!

3. Take blogging more seriously

This is a majorly important goal to me, and one that I say every year. I definitely do feel like I improved my blog game in 2016, despite having to take time out when it came to writing my MA thesis and studying for my finals. I reached two huge blog milestones of 3,000 Twitter and 2,000 Instagram followers, and I hope to continue to do this in 2017 with lots more fashion and lifestyle posts. I feel like now I have the time to really pursue my blog, especially as I've graduated from university so my spare time can be spent blogging instead of working on assignments. Now that I'm a fully-fledged freelance journalist I want to use the knowledge I have to make ATB bigger and better - watch this space!

4. Up my fitness regime

If you read my Getting Back Into Fitness post, you'll know that I'm really determined to get back into the shape I was in about a year and a half ago, where I felt my happiest and most confident. I did take steps towards reaching those goals again, but Christmas has rolled around and I, too, am rolling around after consuming way too much food and alcohol. Now that the new year is here I'm going to kiss goodbye to unhealthy foods - for some time at least - and am going to work harder than ever before to get back to feeling great. I'm also determined to compete in a running race this year, but for a full look into my fitness and health changes for 2017, keep your eyes peeled for a future post!

5. Visit 12 new places in 2017

I actually tweeted that I was going to make it my mission to visit at least one new place a month in 2017 - either in the UK or further afield - and was overwhelmed with responses from people who would like to try out this challenge too! I really want to see more of the world, and I think mini breaks are the perfect opportunity to do this, even if it's just discovering a new corner of London that I haven't yet explored. I'm hoping to set up some sort of hashtag for people to join me on this one, so do let me know if you'd like to get involved.

So there you have it, five goals that I'm determined to accomplish in 2017. I feel like I accomplished most of my 2016 goals really well - I completed my masters, I got myself a job, I worked hard on my blog and met more bloggers. Sadly, I didn't really complete my fitness goals, mainly because I was so bogged down with studying that my life was spent sat at a desk for the majority of the year. I'm determined to do it this year though, and I'm feeling super excited, determined and motivated for the year ahead!

What are your goals for 2017?!
Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year! 
Lots of love. xoxo

42 comments:

  1. Good luck to achieving the visiting 12 new places in 2017! I think I visited 3 last year aha. Happy New Year.

    Asia x

    http://www.asiajadewalker.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely! Haha, 3 is better than none! Happy New Year! xx

      Delete
  2. i really want to start creating the content i want to do and i really hope i can expand my following. i also finally want to be happy with my body and change a few things around the flat to make it perfect.


    loovelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a great set of goals :) xx

      Delete
  3. These sound like brill goals - I'd love to visit 12 new places!! I really want to venture out and do a bit of travelling or something maybe this year or next! Xx

    Lucy x // http://lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I'm hoping to achieve it - whether it's big or small! xx

      Delete
  4. Good luck on achieving all of your goals! I too want to focus on my blog more and raise my blogging game... I see all of these amazing photos that other bloggers take and it's kind of depressing haha. One day though!

    Visiting 1 place every month is an amazing idea! I'd love to do something like that... Even if it just means exploring a different part of the UK.

    Lizzie Bee // mysticthorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lizzie! :) I feel the same about my blog haha - we can do it! Yessss, I'm hoping I manage it haha! xx

      Delete
  5. Some great goals, I love the idea of visiting somewhere new every month!! :) x
    Holly ∣ Closingwinter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to look at the new year as a new chapter as well. It's a great time to reflect on our lives and look forward to the future! I love the goals you set for the year ahead. You can definitely make them a reality!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Jessie!! You're such a superstar and i really admire you for your career goals this year. You've worked your ass off interning in London and i know great things are coming your way!! I'm also looking to travel more this year and want to go somewhere as much as my annual leave and budget will let me! x

    Abi | abistreetx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh Abi, what a lovely thing to say! Thanks so much - I really hope I just find something haha. Ooh exciting! Can't wait to see what you get up to :) xx

      Delete
  8. I hope this is your year to land a journalism job! Sounds like such a fabulous goal. Here's to 2017! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cool that you are a journalist!! I am studying to become one and what you did (and want to do) is amazing. I wish you the best of lucks!!

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) Best of luck with your studies lovely! xx

      Delete
  10. I hope you manage to secure a permanent journalism job! My goals are definitely to become more confident in myself and have more self belief x

    Lipsticks & Louboutins 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole, I do too! Best of luck with your goals. You're such a beauty! xx

      Delete
  11. Great read, i'm with you on the blogging game.. It's my main focus this year too!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    & Much love,
    HER FASTEST FASHION

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! I wish you all the best in achieving your goals this year! I'm sure you'll achieve them all amazingly! Once I birth this baby at the end of the month, I'm set on making some goals haha but until then, I'm just going to sit back, relax and wait for my new beginning hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! How exciting!! 2017 is going to be such a lovely time for you. xx

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year! Good luck with all your goals, you can do it! Also good luck with finding the job, such hard work but it will pay off when you find your dream, which you WILL!

    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I really hope you're right! xx

      Delete
  14. You have set some awesome goals, I hope you manage to find permanent digs soon. Visiting somewhere different every month sounds awesome and something I'm tempted to do myself!

    T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely - I really hope so too! Let me know if you do try it.. I think it will be so fun! xx

      Delete
  15. I might not manage 12 new places but I would definitely love to travel a lot more this year! Best of luck with finding an amazing permanent job!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I do it - even if it's somewhere new that's only an hour from home! :) Thank you so much xx

      Delete
  16. Good luck with your goals Jessie! I know how hard journalism can be to crack but it sounds like you are on good stead and I'm sure you will find something you love (definitely show off your blog to them!!). I'm sure you'll find your own little home in London too!

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much Sally! It really means a lot coming from you :) xx

      Delete
  17. Wow, huge achievements with the job + the social media followers! I would love to hit those numbers, well done you! It sounds like you achieved great things in 2017. Best wishes for 2017.
    Jaz xoxo
    http://www.thelifeofasocialbutterfly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, I hope 2017 is great for you xx

      Delete
  18. Fantastic read! I decided I wasn't going to set any resolutions this year, and reflected more so on what I had achieved. It's always nice to be reminded after all. I hope your job and home hunt goes well this year! I'm sure you're very excited x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I definitely think reflection is a really good thing - and it can be so motivational too! xx

      Delete
  19. Personally, I'm bloody obsessed with these kinds of posts (mostly because I'm nosy as hell) and I love these goals. It's so difficult trying to find that first permanent job in the media world but you'll get there lovely! If you could send over some fitness inspo as well, that would be amazing. Ha!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm so nosey as well - love reading everyone's ambitions! Thanks so much hun, I really hope so! xx

      Delete
  20. Fab post Jess! Have the best new year & best wishes in reaching all these goals!! XX

    EVE // haiaeve.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eve! :) Happy new year to you xx

      Delete
  21. I am definitely trying to visit a place a month too. I think it's an exciting way of encouraging you to visit places on your doorstep too!
    Bee | QueenBeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It encourages you to go out and explore :) xx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS