Sunday, 22 January 2017

Overcoming big stresses by appreciating the little things.

A walk on the beach at sunset, breathing in the sea air as my dogs run crazily after my boyfriend who's legging it like a madman towards the crashing waves. Summer-time road trips, whizzing along the coast with our sunglasses on, the windows down, and the music turned up loud. The quiet hum of the countryside coming to life in the morning, birds tweeting and flitting between the trees without a care in the world. Being sat in bed as it pours down outside and the rain lashes against the windows, all snuggled up in my freshly washed pyjamas and fluffy socks. 

For me, the little things in life are the ones I cherish. 
I'm going to be honest. Life has been pretty tough for me the last few months. While I've had the most amazing experiences whilst interning at some of the UK's leading publications, and have met new people, made new memories, and have learned so much in the process, it's been a bit of (okay, a rather huge) struggle. 
Behind the perfectly shot Instagram feed of the beautiful London buildings, the press day products, and the lavish experiences I've had, is a tiny hostel room, with no television and no wifi. A stinky bathroom and a bed on wheels which rolls around the room every time I turn over. There's an emotionally exhausted young girl, who's missing family, her boyfriend and friends, is having to rely on her parents to help pay her way, and who is travelling four hours back and fore each weekend in a bid to save money, and wondering if all this will ever be worth it. 
At times like these, I'm focusing more on the negatives than the positives, and sometimes I have to remove myself completely from the situation and remember that every day is one to be thankful for. I could be racing to work, hurtling through Hyde Park after spending my morning squished on an overcrowded, delayed tube, wondering why the fuck I ever thought it'd be a good idea to leave the peaceful, rolling hills of Wales. But then I hear the squawking of a parakeet overhead, I look around and see geese flying across the fields, two horse riders trotting along and the sun shining through the gaps in the trees. A peaceful haven in the middle of one of the world's busiest cities, and this is my walk to work. 
I could be feeling low because I'm missing out on a night with friends again, as they all gather around for a catch up over some grub at home, while I'm ready for another night at my stinky hostel. When suddenly our work team realises we've secured a contract for our magazine for another 18 months, and we're all whisked off to Claridges, laughing as we're sipping champagne and eating finger sandwiches dressed in oversized jumpers and Nike trainers. Making new friends and new memories, ones that I'll always have. 

Dress - MONKI | Hat - M&S | Coat - Topshop | Boots - New Look | Belt and Bag - River Island

In short, and believe me when I agree that this quote is cheese central, where there is darkness there is always light. It could be as simple as going for a walk and breathing in the fresh air with the sun on your back, or cosying up on the sofa with your boyfriend to watch trashy TV after an exhausting week. There is always something to look forward to, and always something to be grateful for. No matter how big, or small, that may be. 


Lots of love. xoxo

30 comments:

  1. Gosh it sounds like you're having to deal with a lot as well as having amazing times too! Thinking of all the positives definitely helps in every situation x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's been tough but you have to think of the positives, definitely! xx

      Delete
  2. And if you're doing something you want to do to get to where you want to get, it'll all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. Hang in there. The stressful times can't last forever though they seem to take forever to pass.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this post! i'm trying my hardest to get a great intern this summer so i can only imagine the same thoughts and feelings will arise. good on you for sticking it out and doing something you love!
    jen | velvet spring

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a rollercoaster, i definitely couldn't do it. But it'll be worth it, and i'm always around if you want to chill out :)

    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so lovely! Yes, we should definitely meet up again :) Would be lush to see you xx

      Delete
  6. Indeed, there is always something to be grateful for! So cheer up and and just shake that stress off!
    http://zunera-serena.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this - it can be so hard when life is tough but trying to focus on the positives! If you ever need a cheer up drink when you're in London then just let me know! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I'll be sure to give you a message. xx

      Delete
  8. So glad you wrote this lovely, it's always important to share that life isn't as dreamy as it looks on Instagram. I can't even imagine living in the hostel you described but it will be worth it love, in the end you'll back and laugh at those times and be grateful for sticking it out! The little things actually turn out to be the big, important things that change a day <3

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much lovely! It really means a lot .. It's my last week in the hostel THANK GOD! So home comforts galore next week :) xx

      Delete
  9. This was such a wonderful read! You're so positive and optimistic about things, I'm sure all of your hard work and dedication will pay off. Thank goodness you're almost done at the hostel, I wish you all the best of luck with everything love! xo

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's so lovely of you :) I really hope so. xx

      Delete
  10. love this lactation to shoot, amazing post!!

    www.londonstylegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it is hard to focus on the nice little things and not get overwhelmed by the darkness around us, but I bet it will be all worth it in the end. Only pressure and dirt make a diamond after all.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that saying!! Thank you so much xx

      Delete
  12. Jessie, you inspire me so much!! You should be so so proud of everything you've achieved in the past few months - you're an absolute superstar. No matter how hard it may be at times, all of your hard work will definitely pay off, and you'll be able to look back and have these amazing memories behind you, and the moments of darkness won't be something you even think of.

    Keep working girl and never give up on your dreams!! xxxxx

    Abi | abistreetx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Abi, you're such a babe! Thank you so so much. Feeling a bit crappy at the mo, as I finish my job tomorrow and have no idea what's coming next for me. So this comment really had cheered me up! xxxxx

      Delete
  13. I love looking for the happy moments in life, it's what keeps me going when things get stressful! Sounds like you're doing a remarkable job of keeping positive and seeing the best bits in life :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there. It will be worth it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh girl I bloody love the honestly in this post, you're an absolute inspiration lady! I genuinely can't imagine what it's like staying in a hostel and feeling home sick but I'm only in Essex and if you ever need a girls night - seriously you know where I am! I remember at uni, there was so many times when I was home sick and so, so broke that my dad would have to transfer me £20 just so I could eat. There really were some low points when I never felt like it could ever be worth it, but girl it really was! That quote; 'What if I fall? Oh but my darling, what if you fly' is so apt for you lady, you've absolutely GOT THIS!

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank yoooou! Your message last night really helped me when I was feeling downright CRAP haha! You're such a babe and as soon as I'm in London again we will definitely meet up :) It was so lovely to see you on Wednesday! That quote is definitely apt for me, I love it! xxx

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS