Sunday, 12 March 2017

How to minimise your space in five simple steps.

Okay, I'll admit it. I am a massive hoarder. Not that I go around collecting bits and bobs, or that my bedroom is overcome with piles and piles of crap or anything. It's all super organised - there's a place for everything and everything is (usually) in its place - but I just have too much... stuff. I have heaps and heaps (and heaps) of clothes, shoes, handbags and jewellery. I have files and notepads and books that I've read time and time again. I have a makeup cupboard, overflowing with products. 

It got to the point where I would dread having to open the cupboards but tomorrow I move into my very own flat (read my homeware wishlist here), so what better excuse than to have a massive clear out and to "minimalise" my space in the process? 

1. Take it a task at a time

I'm so guilty of deciding to spontaneously clear out my room, and then a few hours later I'm surrounded by piles of crap, not knowing where to start and feeling like tearing my hair out. This time, however, I've tackled each section of my room in stages. I firstly started with my jewellery, clearing out unbroken pieces and crazy neon items that are no longer wanted. Then I tackled each section of my wardrobe separately, starting with my tops, then skirts, then jeans, and finally cleared out a whole hoard of "clubbing dresses" from my teens. (I'm talking leopard print, sequins and cleavage galore!) I split this up over a number of days, taking on a section each evening after work, and it made it so much easier as there was always a light at the end of the tunnel.

2. Bin it, keep it, donate it

Separate your clothes, jewellery, makeup etc. into piles of items you want to keep, items that can be donated, and items that are better off being recycled rather than hanging in your wardrobe. If you've not worn the item of clothing in the past year, then you're unlikely to wear it any time soon, so give it a new lease of life and donate it to a charity shop, friend or family member. If your beauty cupboard is overloaded with unwanted products, bin the ones that are looking a little worse for wear and anything you've not yet used can be donated to a women's refuge centre. Give things away to those that need it more than you.

3. Make use of vertical storage

That space above your wardrobe? Use it! I've bought pretty boxes to place on top of my wardrobe to fill with scarves and handbags that would otherwise take up heaps of storage space. The boxes make a pretty addition to the room, too! After sorting through your wardrobe, take the accessories you want to keep, place them in a box and pop it at the top of your wardrobe. Perfectly organised and clutter-less.

4. Make use of other rooms

Living in a small flat means you may find your bits and bobs spilling over into other rooms. If you've got a little space in the hallway, why not place a chest of drawers there to hold seasonal pieces of clothing? Or on the landing outside the bathroom hold towels and toiletries? It provides more bedroom space and keeps things neat and tidy.

5. Have a killer playlist 

No organising can be done without some motivational music to keep you going. I find a gym playlist works perfectly well for a little spring cleaning, and it's great for pushing you to finish the job when you're sat amongst piles of clothing and bags of rubbish when you feel like tearing your hair out!

Lots of love. xoxo

18 comments:

  1. I find storing things vertically really helps. We struggle for space in our house so we bought some narrow storage units that go really high and they store so much using so little floor space :) x

    LuxeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your move is super exciting and loving your tips here! Once I've dragged myself to sort my stuff out I really end up enjoying it and feel soo much better afterwards - good luck lovely! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this Jessie, my room is the most cluttered place in existence so I need to use every bit of space I can. Fab tips!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like a good clear-out - I now have a one-in-one-out policy to stop the clutter building up again. I've had a few regrets though, as stuff does come back in fashion, or when I haven't been able to find a good replacement for something I've donated.

    Still, having too much stuff can get overwhelming.

    - Lubna | The Digital Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea! I've been doing this too and it's so much easier. xx

      Delete
  5. Love this post. I need to do this as I have so much unused space in my house! X

    ♥ Carly Susanne - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I have the opposite problem. I am minimalist to the point where half the time I need something and can't find one then realise I don't own one haha! I think it's because I grew up with my mum being a hoarder so I have gone the complete opposite way, hopefully there is a mid point we can both find! Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no haha! It's hard to find the right balance isn't there? xx

      Delete
  7. Girl I love this post - some great tips! Literally EVERY time I decide to clean my room; I decide to clean everything at once, then sit there 3 hours in wanted to cry and wondering why I started haha! Love the tip about doing it in sections; I'm definitely going to try this!

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Hayley! :) it's so much easier splitting it up! Don't know why I didn't think of it that way before! xx

      Delete
  8. Love these tips. Having a clear out is one of my favourite things to do!xx

    Lucy x | lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I really need to have a wardrobe clear out because my drawers are overflowing! x

    Abi | abistreetx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post - i need to have a big clear out :)
    Much love,
    HER FASTEST FASHION

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS